Triple Crown Solo Tips and Tricks - Let's Compare Notes!

So I've been trying to get Triple Crown Solo legitimately, and just lost my third toon. My first toon was a fighter who died to a shadow in the Temple of Eothas (stunlocked). My second toon was also a fighter, and died after defending a traveler from wolves (their DPS was too much for my regen and armor, plus their knockdowns didn't help). My third toon was a chanter who died after transitioning to Madhmar Bridge and getting stunlocked by the Xaurip Skirmisher who automatically attacks you when you transition (like the Duriel fight in Diablo 2).

Anyway, I thought I'd start a thread to share notes on how to do TCS legitimately. This means no backing up saves or using the quitting while in combat exploit.

1. You can lure two groups of hostiles into each other and get them to kill each other. For example, in the Valewood, if you're fast enough, you can lure the bandits to the east and the wolves to the southeast to each other and get them to kill each other. Not sure if this will help you get the pacifist achievement, though (you didn't kill them directly, just got others to kill them).

2. Stealth and Mechanics are the two most useful skills for TCS. They allow you to bypass difficult fights and gain access to better loot.

3. Don't neglect your other skills! Obsidian went out of its way to make all skills usefull, and they can let you bypass several encounters (though not as much as Stealth and Mechanics).

4. Keep a large stock of tools. This means lockpicks, prybars, grappling hooks, flint and steel, etc. Again, these let you bypass several difficult encounters.

5. Near the beginning of the game, when the last Glanfathan raider is dead, quickly switch to a ranged weapon. This lets you save Heodan for free. If you don't have a ranged weapon on hand, you'd have to throw your melee weapon or have a high Dexterity to be able to save him.

6. Try to sell as much loot to Heodan at the start before clicking on the waterskin. He pays 375% the normal merchant price for goods.

7. Go for the least violent resolution to quests as possible. Only fight if you have no other choice. The XP you get from quests far oustrips the paltry amount you get from combat.

8. Avoid Madhmar Bridge early in the game unless you have insane Stealth and you transition into it in scouting mode. Otherwise, a Xaurip will instantly attack you and stunlock you to death if you don't have enough deflection and armor.

I'll post more later. Please post your tips here as well!

Edited by Aron Times

You can pretty reliably get past Caed Nua without going into the Temple by using the ~4 fan of flames scrolls you can craft early in the game alongside the figurine and blunting belt from the blacksmith. Apparently there's also a way to sneak past the phantoms in Caed Nua with a high enough stealth? If that can be done consistently, it should be incredibly simple to do Caed Nua.

1. Start with 1 in mechanics and sell EVERYTHING to Heodan other than a torch before you activate the waterskin.

2. You can do the blacksmith quest without fighting with 2 stealth, which nets you a discount.

3. Kill Eder, Aloth, and Durance for lootz to sell.

4. The moon godlike to the right of the Gilded Vale tree has the earliest plate mail you can get.

5. You can practically full loot Esternwood, Black Meadow, and Magran's Fork with 2 stealth. 

5. Near the beginning of the game, when the last Glanfathan raider is dead, quickly switch to a ranged weapon. This lets you save Heodan for free. If you don't have a ranged weapon on hand, you'd have to throw your melee weapon or have a high Dexterity to be able to save him.

Who says we are trying to let him live? Murdering the whole caravan on TCS for the lulz! :-D

--

To Lasci - figurine isn't a valid tactic anymore since they jacked up the price, which was ridicilous tbh. TCS is hard enough as it is.

Also to OP. That Madhmar bridge Xaurip Skirmisher isn't too bad - I lost a lot of toons to Xaurip Priests one shotting me for 80 burn damage - that's the worst.

You can actaully outrun the xaurip with a chanter, if you take the movement speed chant, which is a tactic I use. I got to lvl5 without using potions/traps, just running around with the chanter and letting my phantom do the dirty work.

I don't think fighter is a candidate for TCS due to the lack of DPS, unless you stash up an endless amount of potions and dont get stunlocked? I haven't used traps/potions yet. I'm trying to get through without. Probably impossible.

Who says we are trying to let him live? Murdering the whole caravan on TCS for the lulz! :-D

--

To Lasci - figurine isn't a valid tactic anymore since they jacked up the price, which was ridicilous tbh. TCS is hard enough as it is.

Also to OP. That Madhmar bridge Xaurip Skirmisher isn't too bad - I lost a lot of toons to Xaurip Priests one shotting me for 80 burn damage - that's the worst.

You can actaully outrun the xaurip with a chanter, if you take the movement speed chant, which is a tactic I use. I got to lvl5 without using potions/traps, just running around with the chanter and letting my phantom do the dirty work.

I don't think fighter is a candidate for TCS due to the lack of DPS, unless you stash up an endless amount of potions and dont get stunlocked? I haven't used traps/potions yet. I'm trying to get through without. Probably impossible.

Figurine is absolutely valid. You can easily get 7000 gold and buy both the belt and figurine after the discount from the blacksmith quest.

Honestly? I'm pretty sure every class could do TCS. Most of the strategies (retaliation, gaze of adragan, scrolls) can be done by all classes. Beating Thaos is probably the biggest question mark because of luck-based factors in soloing him.

Edited by Lasci

--

The point is not that the xaurip skirmisher is an impossible challenge. It's that it's way too close to the spawn point, so anyone who doesn't have insane Stealth and wasn't already in scouting mode will end up aggroing it. This is the only area I can recall throughout my various playthroughs where a hostile starts so close to the spawn point. Even in the Endless Paths of Od Nua, you have to venture a screen or more before encountering any hostiles.

The other game called PoE, Path of Exile, gives players entering a new area a grace period of 20 seconds where they are immune to everything as long as they don't take an action. This is to keep them from getting ganked by Duriel-type monsters who are too close to the spawn point. Furthermore, no monsters are present near the entrances/waypoints unless a player lures them there; the grace period of 20 seconds is there just in case.

Probably easier to just have the 15 dex, since you'll probably want that anyway in order to get any of your abilities to work in between monster attacks for the duration of the game. Plus the +Reflex, which is a huge killer from nuker monsters.

I would argue that lore is more important than stealth, stealth for the most part is optional- it helps you avoid some encounters but it has no effect on encounters you cant avoid. On the other hand some of the high level scrolls have huge impacts on battles so being able to cast them is very very useful. Similarly mechanics is very useful. Honestly I only ever find myself using stealth to get vision before i engage. 

I would say my biggest tip would be to have a second run in parallel so you know you can reliably clear a fight before loading it on your ToI save.

Second would be to use figurines to ensure you never fight too man people at once

Third would be to know which fights you can win and which fights you need to come back to later, this is a similar point to tip one: never bite off more than you can chew.

1.)

Xaurip Skirmisher,

Phantoms,

for Temple, Bridge and Mother Questline in the first 4 level.

if you have 65+ Fort defence, they cannot perma stunlock you and you get chances to kill them with Fan, Summon or outrun them (simply run so far as possible) or get position for bottleneck (Stronghold, for fan strike of death)

2.)

Mechanics is must have, it gives early free XP and better loot. 9-10 points are never wrong.

Stealth...situational, I had at the end 4 points into it....but i put most of them at level 10+ into it...you do not need it,if you have running speed and know how to spilt pull.

Lore...all your rest points after mechanic should be going there, Fan of fire with level 1, heal and rolling flame at level 2, heal and paralyse at level 3, moonwell + wall of flame at level 4, maelstorm at 5.

Really strong spells, which make your non caster into a caster...really strong.

But in realtiy, you will get 4 points into it at level 4, and than you put more points in mechanics until it is level 9-10 (at level 11)

Athlectics....3 at your first level up....than you have -90%...and it is maxed out.

Survival....i never put a point there, but at level 12 you can put 1 point into it, when you cannot skill up the other skills anymore.

3.) Figures:

1.: Blacksmith, 6000cp...it is only item worth to buy there, normally you can buy it at level 3-4, when you done raedric quest line...my advice...speak with raedric for help, than plunder his basemant all floors....you should now have 12kcp. and let the quest, which one to kill in stalemate, until your level is higher. you only want the income from the stronghold.

2.: Act 2,

wood summon, 15000cp...copperfield market, you can buy it directly, if you know, how to fight first room of stronghold without figure (fort defence, bootleneck, 4 fan of flame)

beatles, secret on copperfield market

shadows, embrassy, needs mechanics 7-8

big beatle, graveyard, needs main quest and mechanics and high stealth, if youdo not want to fight heavy strong zombies early

4.) items

retilale strike item for mellee characters, there are 3 source...

cape, random offer from stronghold trader, trader shows as event message in your window...the offer cost 600cp, he only offers one item...and even when you have buyed the item, he can offer it again...you have to skip time abuse and it is random

plate armor...trader house in harbor distrect quest...you get delivery quest/than killing or protecting quest/than you get in embrassy trading stolen items quest...this quest ends with a perma fight encounter against a really strong foe, they drop as only act 2 source items with +12 accurcy enchamtment and dam mod (level 12 enchantment). 

shild, mainquest, dryford ruins for mainquest, you get the item inside were small adamit pet also drops (in my game) your character should be able to kill Trolls...and adamits...and small group encounter when you leave ruins...it is  a small shild (no accurcy penaitly) and perhabs best item next to cap to get.

Edited by Aqvamare

1.)

Xaurip Skirmisher,

Phantoms,

for Temple, Bridge and Mother Questline in the first 4 level.

if you have 65+ Fort defence, they cannot perma stunlock you and you get chances to kill them with Fan, Summon or outrun them (simply run so far as possible) or get position for bottleneck (Stronghold, for fan strike of death)

One of my fav things about my chanter is that my phantom often stunlocks their phantom XD, I dont have that great dps but its relatively easy to put a shield of summons between me and the enemy, I really regret getting frost as my firstlevel two chant though, could have really used the ranged speed one. Ohwell live and learn i guess, maybe the frost trap one will be more useful in different situations

Hi, here's my small contribution:

- When you hit level 2 (most of the time right after the first cave if you're not a Rogue), get your points in mechanics, then go back in the cave to unlock all the traps. Each of them will give you between 5 and 15 xp for free.

- In general, try to get enough mechanics to unlock all the possibe traps. They give you free XP and those are extremely useful to initiate good fights.

- In the first inn, there's a free Coat at the first floor on the first room on the right. Even though there's a NPC, you won't lose reputation if you unlock the locker. If you're lucky enough, you'll get the Cold Resist one, extremely good against Shadows and Phantoms.

- Free 1handed dagger if you go to easternwood, take the path right on the left at the entrance of the zone, then sneak up to the mausoleum (hidden cache)

- Free 2 handed weapon if you go to Magran fork, on a cadaver on the bottom left of the map (sneak up to here as there are some monsters around)

Edited by I am Catharsis
  • Like 1

You can pretty reliably get past Caed Nua without going into the Temple by using the ~4 fan of flames scrolls you can craft early in the game alongside the figurine and blunting belt from the blacksmith. Apparently there's also a way to sneak past the phantoms in Caed Nua with a high enough stealth? If that can be done consistently, it should be incredibly simple to do Caed Nua.

1. Start with 1 in mechanics and sell EVERYTHING to Heodan other than a torch before you activate the waterskin.

2. You can do the blacksmith quest without fighting with 2 stealth, which nets you a discount.

4. The moon godlike to the right of the Gilded Vale tree has the earliest plate mail you can get.

5. You can practically full loot Esternwood, Black Meadow, and Magran's Fork with 2 stealth. 

Its possible to stealth past everything, namely entrance room, in Caed Nua with Stealth 5 (lvl 4 Stealth 5 Mech 3 - to open door to boss) but the statute, the servant, will trigger the fight anyway- will not let character to descend without fight and that is pretty much the only risky fight at this stage. The boss is risky too but its not really fight, or does not have to be.

Edited by knownastherat

Its possible to stealth past everything, namely entrance room, in Caed Nua with Stealth 5 (lvl 4 Stealth 5 Mech 3 - to open door to boss) but the statute, the servant, will trigger the fight anyway- will not let character to descend without fight and that is pretty much the only risky fight at this stage. The boss is risky too but its not really fight, or does not have to be.

I guess thats one way to play but I can reliably kill clear caed nua without a single point in stealth and imo the points are better spent in lore and mechanics, i mean fan of flames is great but have you seent he level 4 and five scrolls? They are pretty beastly.

penhold?

forged affidavit...

we speaking of solo run, you cannot forge it without 2 companions, if oyu speak about the LL spear.

o, found it, you speak about knight questline with breast item

Part 5: Conclusion - Winning Favor with the Dozens  

Osric can’t believe you managed to retrieve the breastplate. Choose from among the following:  

• Inform Osric that you put Penhelm in his place and you’ll receive 2,000 cp and benefit from a minor positive Reputation with the Dozens.
  • Let Osric know you slaughtered some people to obtain the breastplate. This concerns him, and he tells you to get lost. You keep the Osric Family Breastplate and get a small negative Reputation decrease with the Dozens.
  • Lie to Osric and reveal that Penhelm gave it willingly. This is the best outcome if you are cool with fibbing. You’ll keep the breastplate, score 2,000 cp and receive positive Reputation with the Dozens.
Edited by Aqvamare

I guess thats one way to play but I can reliably kill clear caed nua without a single point in stealth and imo the points are better spent in lore and mechanics, i mean fan of flames is great but have you seent he level 4 and five scrolls? They are pretty beastly.

Nope I have not, I play to level 6 than restart ;)

Unless those scrolls are needed early there should be time to level up Lore or? By level 6 I am on 5 Stealth 5 Mech and 3 Lore with Wizard.

you need 2 lore for fan of fire...with trader start, it means 1 point into it.

the phantoms are about fort defence and stunning, if you do not get stunned...you can fan them to death in bottleneck at entrance to the chest.

if you fear stunlock...you need lore 4 for sunbeam...if you run there...a shadow will to 100% the mob which blocks the entrance, (no stun) and you can sunbeam the phantoms which are waiting behind...so no stunlock.

import is firedamage...only 5 DR on them.

Unless those scrolls are needed early there should be time to level up Lore or? By level 6 I am on 5 Stealth 5 Mech and 3 Lore with Wizard.

Its more that the scrolls make hard fights easy and Im not one for running away from a fight. 

Its more that the scrolls make hard fights easy and Im not one for running away from a fight. 

Well, to me its about efficiency. If I can avoid fights where I need high Lore (and money for scrolls plus sacrificing Stealth or other skill) I will avoid it. In similar fashion the Temple or way to the keep. Too much of a bother (time and energy) and too much of a risk. It can be done in maybe 15 mins using Stealth having to fight only in the entrance room.  But sure, whatever rows your boat. I was just curious whether or not the mentioned high level scrolls are essential early. Because if they are I might revaluate my progression table. 

Edited by knownastherat

4.) items

Cloak of cold damage DR and LL on it...

it is level 2-3 random loot...and one of the strongest items ingame (ghost are all cold damage).

you can get it in random loot chest....for example inn second floor...temple chests....the problem...it is random, and these chest can have all the other rings blacksmith sells, too.

if you want the mantle, my advice, go inn...open chest...check loot....it mantle...perfect...if not...attack the person next to chest, escape button,leave game, reload save....go down to frist floor...rest...open chest....check loot....rince and repeat until you get it.

5.) crafting...

crafting suxx at some points...the crafting mats are split all over the world to traiders...and high level crafting mats are sold in act 3 village, only...

weapon enchantments from good --> fine--->to perfect do not work, because you get message, this weapon already has a enchantment in this slot...same goes for armor...

highest level enchantment (level 12) on weapon needs to kill encounter for mats, for which you acctually want this weapon armor...

it is easier to buy high level weapons at the traders...than to update your weapons...in this systems...+6 accurcy weapon focus talent isn#t good...because it  can happen, that you go at level 12 with a non weapon focus weapon, simply it has +12 accurcy +1,3 enchantment...and you do not find a weapon for your weapon focus with this enchantment.

4.) items

Cloak of cold damage DR and LL on it...

it is level 2-3 random loot...and one of the strongest items ingame (ghost are all cold damage).

you can get it in random loot chest....for example inn second floor...temple chests....the problem...it is random, and these chest can have all the other rings blacksmith sells, too.

if you want the mantle, my advice, go inn...open chest...check loot....it mantle...perfect...if not...attack the person next to chest, escape button,leave game, reload save....go down to frist floor...rest...open chest....check loot....rince and repeat until you get it.

I refuse to save scum in my triple crown run, the whole point is to accept what bad luck comes my way, not having the cloak made caed nue harder and Im sure there will be plenty of times I wish I had it but i dont consider it to be essential to play.

Well, to me its about efficiency. If I can avoid fights where I need high Lore (and money for scrolls plus sacrificing Stealth or other skill) I will avoid it. In similar fashion the Temple or way to the keep. Too much of a bother (time and energy) and too much of a risk. It can be done in maybe 15 mins using Stealth having to fight only in the entrance room.  But sure, whatever rows your boat. I was just curious whether or not the mentioned high level scrolls are essential early. Because if they are I might revaluate my progression table. 

I guess im just thinking ahead, moonwell and wall of fire sound like they will help a huge amount with boss fights, that and paralyse, confusion etc. Im also too much of a loot hoarder to not try to kill everyone I can :p