The resting in the stronghold is terrible design

I really miss the strongholds in BG2 (except for the fighters'), you had to complete really cool and involved quests to get them.

If OE was really rushing for time then why don't they implement the stronghold like how it was done in BG2 ToB?

Pocket plane stronghold!

• Like 1

I really miss the strongholds in BG2 (except for the fighters'), you had to complete really cool and involved quests to get them.

If OE was really rushing for time then why don't they implement the stronghold like how it was done in BG2 ToB?

Pocket plane stronghold!

A lot of the class strongholds in BG2 did exactly what the OP said but worse.  Hiding service behind too many load screens was rampant because the strongholds were designed as dungeons first, player housing second.  And honestly most of the strongholds were more cosmetic than in depth.

Really felt a big weakness of BG2 was the fact that there were too many mediocre strongholds, they should have had max. 3 strongholds as well done as possible.

Regardless the OP's criticism is rock solid.  I'd actually make resting an option in the Stronghold interface menu myself, rather than turning on auto rest when you enter the area.  I think they felt the need to rest the bed location as "fairly inconvenient" to get too from Old Paths of Nua, but that just made it annoying.  They just need to accept that one you get to a main stairway in Nua most people are going to take the free rest+supply restock.    

And yea the rest bonuses should be  redone.  It's ridiculous to make resting at the stronghold so much worse than the inn resting bonuses.  

Edited by Urthor

They should let you customize the bonuses. Max of 4-5 bonuses per "custom rest". You pick the 5 bonuses for your bed and then rest and you get all those. The bonuses are dependent on which upgrades you completed.

Everyone wins. 

Ez fix. Get on it Obsidian.

Thumbs up.

Start working on it!

Calibrating...

I wish (hoped when I built them the first time) the extra renovations for the house (the fountain, the hearth, the lab) let you select additional rest bonuses so that THEY had a point to them as well as the buildings that give the rest bonuses.

The stronghold definitely feels underwhelming and a little unfinished. The adventures don't even have any names or lore or anything, just Minor Adventure. Major Adventure. Even WoW's garrison gives you a little story and objective and everything. The resting bonuses not stacking and instead picking between one +1 skill. I thought they all stacked at first so you got a very broad +1, which seemed alright. But I guess not, so it's pretty pointless, even without the loading screens.

Not to mention that it's pretty empty, which would be alright, and at least helps to explain why I keep having to fight guys inside my keep, instead of getting any use out of those walls I built... I was really excited about that, because defending the stronghold in NWN2 was my favourite part of the game, but in PoE it's just bleh, the fights are over in like 10 seconds. And just how do they get in? Is it the maze? Do they have a map of it? Can we get a minotaur upgrade?

It's a little... strange.

Traveling TO your SH should automatically give Rest + Building Bonuses as soon as you are done loading in. 

Traveling anywhere FROM your SH should give a major fatigue reduction for that one trip.

Quote to agree harder than just a simple like. Obviously needs Brighthollow to unlock it though.

Edited by Hogfather

Very valid point. Also the lack of bonus stacking makes resting at the stronghold really sub-optimal relative to resting at inns, and to me it seems like it should be the opposite by the point you have purchased four or more structures with rest bonuses. It just doesn't make any sense really.

For both these reasons I don't bother with resting in the Keep.

The buildings for resting bonuses cost a lot, we should at least get something better from them than +1 to one stat or skill.

Or they could have an NPC standing next to fountain... And allow some better bonuses with gold payment, for a high quality meal with exoctic spices or something... Why not just use systems they have already in place... In general the whole place doesn't make sense and is lifeless...