The resting in the stronghold is terrible design

Don't get me wrong, I love this game. However who thought it would be a good idea to need to go through three loading screens just to get to your bed? Can you please just let us "rest" as soon as we get to the stronghold in some future patch rather than have to load into the map, load into bright-hollow, an then load into the top floor. And then, load back into bright hollow and then load back into the main map again on the way out. That's half a dozen loading screens just to sleep. Needless busy work. 

• Like 24

Very valid point.  Also the lack of bonus stacking makes resting at the stronghold really sub-optimal relative to resting at inns, and to me it seems like it should be the opposite by the point you have purchased four or more structures with rest bonuses.  It just doesn't make any sense really.

• Like 6

I imagine it more complicated than you are making it out to be.  It would be nice, but it is probably a limitation that they simply didn't have time to address rather than a design choice.  

Make it so you can reach the rest screen by the stronghold menu.  Shouldn't be hard to program in it would just require a simple function call.

That, and the various bonuses not stacking, which is silly. Paying a pittance to sleep in Dyrford or Twin Elms gets me +6 stats for all my party, why in the blazes would I want to trek 2-4 days to and back from Caed Nua for only +1 stat?

The stronghold overall just isn't very well thought out, I found. It lacks the homebase feel that Bioware managed to create with the Normandy or Skyhold, or the variety of the player strongholds in BG2. Fortunately it's also completely optional.

• Like 2

The whole resting mechanic  is horrible thanks to the loading screen hell.  The keep makes me scratch my head on what they were event thinking when designing it.  Resting bonuses defiantly should stack and as soon as your in the keep you should be able to rest anywhere.  They should also probably get rid of, or definitely lower getting tired from traveling, hey you went to your keep to rest?  Great, now when you travel back you are tired again...what the hell?!?!?!  Resting and the loading screens are glaring flaws in this game.

Traveling TO your SH should automatically give Rest + Building Bonuses as soon as you are done loading in. 

Traveling anywhere FROM your SH should give a major fatigue reduction for that one trip.

Edited by Dongom
  • Like 4

Don't get me wrong, I love this game. However who thought it would be a good idea to need to go through three loading screens just to get to your bed? Can you please just let us "rest" as soon as we get to the stronghold in some future patch rather than have to load into the map, load into bright-hollow, an then load into the top floor. And then, load back into bright hollow and then load back into the main map again on the way out. That's half a dozen loading screens just to sleep. Needless busy work. 

Goddamn, yes.

"The stronghold overall just isn't very well thought out, I found. It lacks the homebase feel that Bioware managed to create with the Normandy or Skyhold, or the variety of the player strongholds in BG2. Fortunately it's also completely optional."

PE's stronghold is by the worse I've seen. BG2, DA expansion, DA2 (yes the house/mansion), DA3, and NWN2 OC all do i t better. It's embarassing. The only good thin about the stronghold is what's below. :)

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

If there weren't loading screens between literally every area, I wouldn't care. As it is, I have to go through one when entering a store?!??

That wasn't even the case 17 years ago in Baldur's Gate. As it is, I wholeheartedly agree with you.

• Like 1

YES!

I see the dreams so marvelously sad

The creeks of land so solid and encrusted

Where wave and tide against the shore is busted

While chanting by the moonlit twilight's bed

trees (of Twin Elms) could use more of Magran's touch © Durance

At first I thought that the +1 athletics +1 constitution bonus was good, but then you do a quest in defiance bay and you get a free +2 athletics +1 constitution bed.

I think that all the bonuses you add to the keep should apply when you rest there, the drawback being that they are all meager +1 bonuses.

I'm pretty sure if the stronghold would have been in the backer beta, they never would have put it in the final version of the game in this way. I seriously rested sometimes in the keep with camping supplies, just so I would not have to go through so many loading screens. :D

We were warned about this, but we didn't connect the dots.

Remember the language in update 62?

From update 62:

Stronghold

Tim went on a tear and got most of the backend systems for the player stronghold in place.

Translation: Tim rushed through this as fast as he could. He "went on a tear" as it were. Now, call me a naïve idealist, but when you set out to create a rich, deep, meaningful labor of love, you don't "go on a tear".... as if you're in a hurry to get a term paper finished because it's due in an hour

But that's exactly how the stronghold Feels, doesn't it. -- like it was slapped together and rushed out the door.

Edited by Stun
  • Like 3

after building brighthollow, i tried out the resting, once, just to see. Never Again. i already spend 70 percent of my time in defiance bay in loading screens, i don't need to spend that same amount anywhere else in the game. i have yet to make it to twin elms, but if its formatted like defiance bay, then all the more reason to spend as little time in loading screens elsewhere.