Way to adjust explored Fog of War...please?

The FoW interferes so much with the background art. The difference is night and day...almost literally:

WITH FOG

NO FOG

Yes, there's that unsatisfactory "nofog" command, which also clears the unexplored fog, needs to be re-entered all the time and also disables steam achievements...

• Like 8

+1, +1, +1... can't say it enough!

Please give us an option to disable FoW in explored areas as it really, really kills the visual awesomeness in larger areas as well as making exploring the Stronghold extremely frustrating... why are the Hirelings even around in the courtyard if I can ever only see one or two of them at any time thanks to the constant FoW?

• Like 3

For some reason every character in this game is legally blind. The sight radius being something like 20 meters is absolutely absurd and seriously damages the ability to enjoy the surroundings  and art in the game.

It feels like every location is a super dark, claustrophic dungeon, even in the middle of the day...

IMO this is one of the biggest mistakes in the game, it can't be overemphasized how much this damages the visuals, atmosphere, and feel of the game.

• Like 5

For some reason every character in this game is legally blind. The sight radius being something like 20 meters is absolutely absurd and seriously damages the ability to enjoy the surroundings  and art in the game.

for the same reason bow range is 12 meters. simple distance scaling decision. sure more realistic woud be if sight radius and range were larger, but that would mean larger maps and distances, because would you realy like to load the map and have enemy instantly see you and fill you up with arrows from half across the map?

• Like 1

PIllars of eternty (Hard) 1st playtrough: 155h, 38 m (main Ranger with bear(bow), Eder, Durance(off tank), Hirvais(off tank), Kana(ranged), Aloth/GM)
PIllars of eternty (PtoD) 2nd playtrough: 88h 30 m (main Bleak Walker Paladin, Eder, Barbarian, Monk, Rogue (ranged) Cypher(wand)
(not counting reloads and experimenting)
status i love the game, hate the bugs, and wish for better AI and Pathfinding

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/78749-needed-qualyty-of-life-improvements-information-and-transparency/

I agree without the fog it looks so much beautiful. Maybe they should make the radius fog smaller for explored locations. I get the fog of war are for hiding monsters, but since they dont respawn those that were cleared can have much bigger radius (less fog)

I'd welcome the option to toggle FoW completely off for

- completely explored safe zones (Cities, Villages)

and to enhance the FoW free zone around the party for all other zones that have been completely explored thus (usually) free of enemies.

Shouldn't affect balancing whatsoever, will definitely let us enjoy the gorgeous visuals much better, and so long as it's a toggle, everybody wins.

• Like 3

I agree without the fog it looks so much beautiful. Maybe they should make the radius fog smaller for explored locations. I get the fog of war are for hiding monsters, but since they dont respawn those that were cleared can have much bigger radius (less fog)

actualy new encounters spawn in som areas for some quests, and in the citiy(defiance bay) also

PIllars of eternty (Hard) 1st playtrough: 155h, 38 m (main Ranger with bear(bow), Eder, Durance(off tank), Hirvais(off tank), Kana(ranged), Aloth/GM)
PIllars of eternty (PtoD) 2nd playtrough: 88h 30 m (main Bleak Walker Paladin, Eder, Barbarian, Monk, Rogue (ranged) Cypher(wand)

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/78749-needed-qualyty-of-life-improvements-information-and-transparency/

for the same reason bow range is 12 meters. simple distance scaling decision. sure more realistic woud be if sight radius and range were larger, but that would mean larger maps and distances, because would you realy like to load the map and have enemy instantly see you and fill you up with arrows from half across the map?

Sight range and aggro range have nothing to do with eachother, you can already approach in sight of enemies without being attacked, and you can approach right on top of them while stealthed without being attacked. An increase in sight range would not mean enemies need to aggro on you at any greater range than they do now.

Edited by Sancus

Sight range and aggro range have nothing to do with eachother, you can already approach in sight of enemies without being attacked, and you can approach right on top of them while stealthed without being attacked. An increase in sight range would not mean enemies need to aggro on you at any greater range than they do now.

mechanicaly not, but rp/imersionvise yes. oh i can see you from half away the map but you cant see me until im in attack range?

The fog of war is so we can't see, I'm pretty sure the characters have no trouble seeing even if we can't.

An enemy not noticing us within a certain distance makes the same amount of sense with or without the fog.

"Heh heh. Dirt... Nap... Dirt nap!"

Another anoying part to the whole FoW madness:

After having thrown some npcs in my dungeon, I had to actively search the cells to find those they've been put in... thanks to FoW/sightlines, I couldn't even see them at first glance.

There should definitely be some alternative... the current implementation is in parts outright detrimental to the whole experience that is PoE.

• Like 2

mechanicaly not, but rp/imersionvise yes. oh i can see you from half away the map but you cant see me until im in attack range?

rp/immersionwise yes oh I can't see you despite the fact that you're clearly right there because the game imposes vision ranges that make no sense and ruin the suspension of disbelief?

The fog ruins immersion, it doesn't improve it. The only place where the current fog range makes sense is inside dungeons. It makes absolutely no sense outdoors and is far more harmful to immersion than any visual conception of aggro range, lol.

Just removing that layer of darkness wouldn't change any game mechanics. Let enemies still be hidden outside that visibility range, I don't care. But for the love of god, let me enjoy the background art and surroundings. Everything outside 2 feet of your characters being grey and blurry, having to squint at my screen...it's awful...

• Like 2

After playing a while while  paying atention to it (and backtracking trough old areas making sure anything new didntpop up) i change my opinion- remove change fog of war, its especialy difficult to rexplore explored areas because you dont have the top laer to show you where you havent been and your visibility radius IS ridiculusly small

• Like 1

along with that, move adjusting zoomscale fromconsole comnd to menu setting

Having been used to Baldur's Gate sight range, playing Pillars does feel like the world has gone blind - Day of the Triffids style. I'd like to see larger wilderness maps coupled with much larger (doubled) sight range.

Strangely enough, being an Obsidian game I fully expected poorly implemented game mechanics, tons of bugs and a general lack of polish. But I don't care, I bought the game for its writing and atmosphere. And despite all those game breaking bugs, this little graphical layer ( which is considered to be a feature ) bothers me the most.

+1 for removing the fog in explored areas.

Doesn't bother me as much as the terrible pathfinding, characters that sometimes stand still when you give them an order and pet nameplates, but it's still annoying.

Edited by Fuz

I have to agree with this as well. I think this issue perhaps captures what I've been trying to conceptualize and articulate about what it is exactly I struggle with, while attempting to explain to others what it is I don't like about PoE. I feel really lonely in game, like I'm playing on a stage...it's confining. The world seems segmented (which I suppose it is) and not quite alive. I don't know; maybe I'm over thinking it all :)

Nope itcanalso be removed vid console comand NoFog (requiering cheatmode iroll20s tobe enabled). butyou do ave rpeat Nofog on  each map