Vertical lines crash/freeze

Sakkura

Question

Intermittently during gameplay, I'm getting a crash or freeze where the screen goes a solid color with vertical lines. Audio keeps playing, either normal music continuing, or a loop. No response to Alt-Tab, Alt-F4, Ctrl-Alt-Del or anything short of the reset or power button.

Not getting any crashes or artifacting in any other games or stress tests like Prime95, IBT, Furmark, 3DMark, Unigine Heaven, I have to assume this is not a hardware issue. Temperatures are also not an issue.

Hardware specs:

Core i5-3450

Asrock Z75 Pro3

2x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 CL9

MSI Radeon R9 270

Corsair GS600

Running 64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, and with Pillars installed on a 256GB Crucial MX100 (less than half full). Latest release GPU driver, AMD Catalyst 14.12.

I've attached an output log from the latest crash.

output_log.txt

15 answers to this question

A few month back I bought an MSI Radeon R9 290x card and I had a lot of weird issues with it. I am on an i7 (Haswell chipset). I am now using a GTX 970 card and being quite happy.

But back on your issue...

If you are brave enough, you could try forcing a rendering mode for the Unity Engine.

Right click on Pillars -> Properties -> Set launch options

add -force-d3d11 parameter.

Keep in mind that it's not very officially supported...

There are also other parameters when looking inside the EXE. But I don't know what are these..

force-d3d9-ref  force-gles30    force-gles20    force-d3d11 force-opengl    force-d3d9  force-gfx-mt    force-gfx-st    force-gfx-direct

Edited by eLPuSHeR
  • Like 1

...AFAIK, this is the easiest way to force OpenGL: http://sfx.thelazy.net/downloads/ (reshade + sweetfx, the topmost download...

Modifying the shortcut used to launch Pillars by adding the -force-opengl parameter would be quicker - see Unity3D Manual: Command line arguments for other options.

Temperatures seem unlikely to be the cause given the previous reply given - more system information (which the DirectX diagnostic should provide) is needed at this stage.

What you could to is configure the host for a CTRL+SCRL_LCK+SCRL_LCK to generate a memory dump when it crashes. Then debug it. A !analyze -v using Windbg might be good enough, or even try whocrashed (bing it!)

- I'm a Microsoft employee, not available in all areas, thoughts my own, etc.