The Nest Above the Clouds - bad design?

Not all situations allow for a compromise. What's wrong with that ? And the dragon has already destroyed a temple and killed many people. It would be predictable and boring if every single quest had a peaceful solution.

The Sky Dragon is one of those quests which punishes you for being soft-hearted or cowardly. If you kill it, you get two Sky Dragon Eyes, which can enchant two weapons to Superb level. You also get to loot a nice warhammer.

The dragon just felt like it can whatever it wanted, because it's powerful. She's an arrogant bitch. Some people are too dumb to reason with.

Honestly, I was annoyed that that warhammer was there.  It's got a great looking pic (perhaps the best looking hammer in the game) and would have been a nice weapon somewhat earlier in the game.  But IMO by the point you get it here, it's somewhat underpowered.

What level are you?

That basically will determine what strategy you use.

As I was level 12...Tank and Spank.

I basically sent Eder forward alone (the rest held back in a group before the "activation" point. Eder goes forward, activates the encounter.

Spells (grease is good, and status ones from Druid, whatever). Figurines (summons) to "hold" them there. Ranged until dead.

Fighting the dragon: I was level 11 I think, and it didn't do much damage to my party most of the time (eg stalemate of just surviving wasn't hard at all), but I kept getting those "Extraordinary Defense" messages constantly (first time I'd seen that) so it took a while before I figured out how to deal with that, with my non-optimized party.

It's the one time I actually had to use some Priest/Wiz specific spells/talents that increased accuracy of party and decreased the defenses of mommy dragon.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Any tips for taking out the dragon?

I'm a filthy casual, but finding the fight really hard. I can get it down to about 20% health but with a fully wiped party.

Party: Eder, Durance, Aloth, Sagani, PC (paladin), Barbarian.

Dragons tend to have bad Reflex, and less than impressive Will. Hit them with spells which attack Will and Reflex, especially those which further lower some of their defenses.

What level are you?

That basically will determine what strategy you use.

As I was level 12...Tank and Spank.

I basically sent Eder forward alone (the rest held back in a group before the "activation" point. Eder goes forward, activates the encounter.

Spells (grease is good, and status ones from Druid, whatever). Figurines (summons) to "hold" them there. Ranged until dead.

I'm level 9. I'll try your suggestions, thx.

Any tips for taking out the dragon?

I'm a filthy casual, but finding the fight really hard. I can get it down to about 20% health but with a fully wiped party.

Party: Eder, Durance, Aloth, Sagani, PC (paladin), Barbarian.

Dragons tend to have bad Reflex, and less than impressive Will. Hit them with spells which attack Will and Reflex, especially those which further lower some of their defenses.

According to the guide book, its reflex is 91 and will is 87, still pretty damn high. :-/

Think I've worked out the problem - I can't hit the f***er - keep grazing and missing. Need to work out why. All my weapons are exceptional, but the only thing that consistently gets through the defenses is Eder's Exceptional Estoc, prob cos it ignores a certain amount of DR.

Edit: the problem is because my chars keep getting Terrified by the dragon and lose 20 accuracy. Need to get rid of that with Durance, I guess.

Edit: finally got her. Used lots of Durance's prayer against fear, spread the party out, switched to weapons that ignored as much DR as possible, and potioned and spelled the f**k out of everyone. Still almost fully wiped, and both Durance and Eder are now maimed xD

Edited by DannyBarks

Loaded a save, turns out I remembered wrong - I was lvl 10 when I did this one.

Think I've worked out the problem - I can't hit the f***er - keep grazing and missing. Need to work out why. All my weapons are exceptional, but the only thing that consistently gets through the defenses is Eder's Exceptional Estoc, prob cos it ignores a certain amount of DR.

Their overall accuracy ratings (vs. dragon's defenses) I'd guess? My lvl10 Aloth had something like 40's accuracy, haha. Rest 55-65ish (monk, 2nd fighter) and mid-70ish (Eder). I wasn't geared for high attack/dps at all (I wasn't even using Aloth as a dps AoE caster). :lol:

I don't recall the order you get spells/spell levels etc (since you're lvl 9 vs. I was 10) but the ones that seemed to help for me - using them all made the Extraordinary defense msg disappear anyway - were:

Priest: Devotions of the Faithful and Shining Beacon

Wizard: Expose Vulnerabilities, Rygram's Enervating Terror

...and of course if you have a scroll of valor, that doesn't hurt at all, either.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

• 4 months later...

You can be quite flippant with this quest. You can first agree to spare the dragon, tell this to both the priest and Hylea, and then come back and kill it anyway, which you can then report to the priests and get the monetary reward for it. Hylea doesn't seem to mind :p

Edited by mph

Ah leave the poor cute little bitty lizard. At least that what I did. Much like the witcher, no one is entirely innocent or blameless. It's a dragon eat dragon world after all.

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light