PoE 2 merging with Poe 1 would be awesome

Probably most folks will disagree but i wonder how nice it will be if PoE will continue the story after PoE with expansions and it will merge with him so that u can do a full Playthrough starting with PoE at lvl 1 and then finish with PoE 2 at lvl 25 or so.

It can work as standalone too so if you wanna start directly with PoE 2 you can build a lvl 15 character and start just after PoE+Expansions ends.

Do you prefere this way or a completely new settings\characters for PoE 2?

Edited by Mazisky

So long as they don't completely ignore the major decisions I made in my game to set up the sequel, I'll be happy.

(You had Jaheira, Khalid, Minsc, Dynaheir and Imoen in your party at the end of BG1, right?  No?  TOO BAD, YOU DID NOW.)

I wasn't above pretending they were strangers and leaving them in the Dungeon. Though it always made me feel weird about chasing Irenicus.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Considering the cap is level 12 for a reason, it's pretty safe to say PoE 2 is a continuation of the story.

I believe the reason is budget, not sequel bait. More levels means more class skills, talents, more high level content. PioE has a tremendous amount and complexity of content for its budget, and enough problems with balancing it for the 12 levels it has.

The expansion might take the role of BG2 for Pillars.  Will have to see.

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

Well that game had 25 companions.

This one has, what? 8?

They could all be available in the next instalment.

Not really. How would it work with their ending slides? Does the sequel take place before or after they happened? After is workable because they could be mentioned even if we don't meet them - but many of them aren't available to accompany you, scattered all over the world. Before just doesn't fit RP-wise for some of them and could potentially invalidate their endings from the first game if they die in the second.

Edited by Rosveen
  • Like 1

(You had Jaheira, Khalid, Minsc, Dynaheir and Imoen in your party at the end of BG1, right?  No?  TOO BAD, YOU DID NOW.)

The only thing that was upsetting about this was the complete lack of a cleric if you tried to actually do a "canon" BG playthrough.

I agree. Well, I disagree. But I also agree.

I agree in that I would love it if "PoE 2" would be merged into PoE, and that you could play PoE with everything that PoE2 will offer.

But I don't want a direct sequel.

Considering the cap is level 12 for a reason, it's pretty safe to say PoE 2 is a continuation of the story.

On the other hand, if we assume that each expansion adds another 1-2 levels each, we're actually getting pretty high. I would personally prefer it if any sequel in the series would be standalone.

t50aJUd.jpg

Definitely yes. For m it does not matter if it is a sequel or not, but I want to access the regions from PoE1.

Best thing would be, that visiting old regions is really integrated in the new game (I played BG Trilogy more than once and I always wanted to revisit Sword Coast from within BG2, maybe even finish some quests, that I didn't finish). But Something should have changed. New sidequests and new enemies. The story of PoE2 plays in a different region, but you have to return once or twice and of course there is still your castle (Does not have to be a sequel, it could be a new story with the same guy). Obsidian can recycle old maps and I get the feeling of coming home.

Edited by Lord_Mord

---

We're all doomed

On the other hand, if we assume that each expansion adds another 1-2 levels each, we're actually getting pretty high. I would personally prefer it if any sequel in the series would be standalone.

I don't think this is much of an issue. It takes around level 9-10 for classes to actually unleash their true potential. I absolutely wouldn't mind for PoE to expand the game until level 20-22, just like BG2 did.

More talents, more choices, more builds. And new spell ranks.

There's still a lot of untapped potential in all of the classes. Wizards, for example, still lack stuff like time stop, a talent that expands the grimoire storage, etc.

Monks still lack talents that allow them to fight clothed.

Rangers could unlock low level druid spell ranks or simply get some per-encounter arrow enchantment skills.

Fighters still lack a lot of tactical abilities, like taunt or a temporary immunity to damage or status effects.

The good thing about the defense and hit mechanics of PoE is, that all of them are linear, not percentage based and relative damage dealt doesn't actually go up when leveling (except for weapon enchants and attribute bonuses through items... which more or less only compensate for the endurance gain per level).

This basicly allows endless encounter scaling without the annoying power creep of epic D&D levels where you just stacked more and more base attributes until you hit a ridicolous 25 strength.

This doesn't happen in PoE. If you reach a point where items get too powerful, you can always just strip the characters of their items through story events and basicly start the item hunt anew. You know, just like BG2 did... except that BG2 instantly offered you some +2 and +3 weapons right from the start.

Edited by Zwiebelchen