Why people say constitution is useless ?

At Might 4 you shouldn't be able to wear heavy armour or lift a decent weapon. Tsk. I hope they add that sort of mechanism.

This whole Might being both physical and mental strength and Intel being AoE on everything is also pretty horrible imo. How do you play a dumb Barbarian who cleaves everything in sight?

They went to the trouble of renaming strength to might.  I was surprised it never dawned on them to rename intelligence to intuition (for example)

It would help considerably with people who are a little peeved (myself included) with genius barbarians.

The ranger lion companion has a higher intelligence than my dwarf fighter :) With max might and min int he is like an angry retarded midget.

I wish they had the low int talk options like fallout did.

At Might 4 you shouldn't be able to wear heavy armour or lift a decent weapon. Tsk. I hope they add that sort of mechanism.

This whole Might being both physical and mental strength and Intel being AoE on everything is also pretty horrible imo. How do you play a dumb Barbarian who cleaves everything in sight?

They went to the trouble of renaming strength to might.  I was surprised it never dawned on them to rename intelligence to intuition (for example)

It would help considerably with people who are a little peeved (myself included) with genius barbarians.

Good idea.

Pretty sure we can rename Intelligence to Intuition ourselves by modding the string file.  

EDIT:

Yeah, just edit ...\Pillars of Eternity\PillarsOfEternity_Data\data\localized\en\text\game\gui.stringtable

... in notepad.

Edited by Daemonjax

• 2 months later...

Depends on what difficulty you're playing on and what roles you want for your characters, constitution can be either important or useless.

For my Path of the Damned run frontline tanks, I have his stats at:

The White that Wends Human (Hearth Orlans are still the best option I believe)

4 Might (Min)

15 Cons (Average)

3 Dex (Min)

19 Per (Max)

18 Int (Max)

19 Res (Max)

For whatever reason, I felt compelled to reply to this, but anywho..

Your idea of "Average" stats is a bit skewed.  In RPGs that use the D&D attribute system of 3 to 18, an attribute of "15" is not average.

This is essentially how attributes were explained in the D&D Manual:

•   3 is a crippled individual, or someone nearly deficit in whichever attribute.  (e.g.:  3 Agility/Dexterity means you can't even walk.)

•   8 is slightly below par, such as a computer nerd who has below-average strength, but isn't completely weak.

• 10 is the average, every-man regular joe attribute level.  e.g. 10 intellegence is equivalent to an average person's IQ

• 15 is very, very high.  e.g.:  15 to 17 strength/might would be the equivalent to a professional bodybuilder

• 18 or higher is the attribute level of a demigod, for lack of a better word.  Example:  Hercules may have 19 strength in a CRPG

• 3 years later...

I was the third person on the forums to link myself SOLOING the adra dragon during first expansion (let alone beating it, which no one except two before me could even do, even with a full party)

(Though those two solo'd it two)

One guy did a trick and the other guy had high consitution and was a paladin.

I had my constitution maxed and was a wizard.

Everyone talks ****, and all the common idiots are always maxing damage, it's the most common thing people do in every game/rpg/mmo/ect and all it is is a popular opinion and nothing more.

A very simple minded popular opinion, con rocks, and all the stats are pretty good in this game, infact I find intelligence to be the most lackluster.

Depends. After a certain point the AoE increase via INT gets absurd.

But anyway: I played a maxed CON barb in an "Ultimate" attempt and only died due to a stupid bug I didn't know before. I got to lvl 16 without too much hassle and most fights (except very early game) I didn't even have to pull and kite - because my self heals (that add a lot of endurance to my already huge endurance pool) and especially my health pool was so big I could outlast almost anything even though I had terrible deflection. CON is also great because it raises fortitude - the most important defense in my opinion. Because if you get killed it's a fortitude based afflictons most of times...

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

It seems to me just as a novice player that constitution effect on health (not speaking of endurance atm) is important because if your 1 or 2 characters are your main and second tanks if their health (not endurance) gets quite low the only thing to fix it is resting or something like triage talent.  So very few things fix health and constitution makes the health pool larger so it is somewhat convenient.  Now perhaps it is better to have something else as stat to prevent health loss but as novice player learning strategy gradually even immediately there is some safety/convenience in having constitution on your tank(s) just so that you don't have to rest simply to replenish tanks health.  This would be as a novice before figuring out all the strategy and meta and not to mention leveling up versus content.

Edited by claudius

You can also use potions of Infuse with Vital Essence to heal you health. Even mid-fight. It also works with healing bonuses like endurance healing does.

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

• 3 years later...

I know this is an ancient topic, but back when there was no expansions, when fighting the adra dragon was crazy.

And no one could beat it.

I was one of the first people to not only beat it, but solo it, along with 2 others, this paladin, and a priest guy who set infinite traps.

And I maxed constitution.

My whole party always insta died at the start, even with high defenses.

Except me, and that gave me enough time to heal the max, and I had enough deflection/fortitude to tank the rest of her stuff and keep healing to max.

I think action speed's overrated, especially on a wizard that never gets hit, when you do those beams that fire every 1 sec for 10 secs, that's really fast and totally unaffected by dex.

Then every time her wing sweep came along to try the one shot again, it'd always take me to like 10% hp.

Even Eder always got one shot, but my 20+ con wizard, with all kinds of buffs always survived it then laughed off the rest of her attacks, i eventually just stopped taking the party and saw I could solo her eventually.

So yeah con isn't bad, though tbh it shoulda had + deflection, not perception.

Should in POE2 aswell.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Btw my stats were (just roughly remembering)

Might 10
Dex 3
Con 18
Perception 18
Intellect 8
Resolve 19
(without items chargen)

(beat adra dragon with this setup solo before they patched and changed perception)

(When they patched it, I used a char editor cause I was honestly pissed cause I got perception for deflection, not accuracy, and set perception to 10 and might to 18)

In POE2 I got the same setup, except I just kept perception this time cause I learned much later accuracy really is just better, might kinda useless if you never hit, especially on POTD.

Edited by alexis13
  • Thanks 1