The Gamespot review

"Dragon age II - 82

Dragon age Inquisition - 85"

\

Irrelevant.  That doesn't prove a game's success or failure. FO:NV was rated just under 85 (costing Obsidian millions LOL) yet it sold more than any BIO, Obsidian, or BIS game ever. LMAO

Also, just because YOU personally dislike a game doesn't make it a failure either. I loathe ES series but the series was a success.

Plus, those DA2/DA3 scores are  largely about backlash to EA/BIO fatigue.

\I'd rate DA2 around 82 and DA3 probably 75ish (maybe lower dunno). PE not done with it so won't rate but definitely higher than DA3 and maybe eventually higher than DS2.

Doesn't make either of those games a failure though.

I think fallout:NV suffered due to it being sooooo bugged at release

to me its kinda a masterpiece much much better than fallout 3 or skyrim 

• Like 2

Here's how to find the actual score for a game:

Was the game a sequel to a major franchise? Subtract 1 point from the reviewer score.

Did the game have a huge marketing campaign? Subtract 1 point from the reviewer score.

Was the game the final installment of a major series (eg mass effect 3)? Subtract 1 point from the reviewer score.

Was the game 'artsy' at the expense of gameplay? Subtract 1 point from the reviewer score.

Was the game a niche genre, or made by an unknown company? Add 1 point to the reviewer score.

Now you have a more accurate score for the game.

Say what? If we applied that Criteria to Baldur's Gate 2, it'd get, at best.... a 7.

Crazy. And False.

The gamespot review is legit. I say all the other ones are bull****. This game has plenty of bugs like your cursor glitching out or spell effects lasting forever etc. All this stuff detracts normal people from the game. Also the writing was to excessive at points. Now this isn't bad for people that don't like reading but for people that dont some of my friends for example... Well lets just they can be almost done with the game and still don't know what the plot about LOL. Also the load times are very annoying especially in the city segments of the game I feel like I'm playing a playstation era game. Doesn't matter if you have a I3 or a I7 the load times are crap. 

My personal pet peeves with the game. Plot and classes. I don't like the plot because its similiar to planescapes torment. I never gave a crap about the endless history of nameless one and just wanted the loser to die. Uncovering ancient lore and past history is a boring motivation to play through a story.

Paladin. The paladin class in this game felt very boring to play. Wheres the minor priest spells. How I'm supposed to feel like DnDs holy warrior if I can't call on the power of bajesus to empower me/smack my enemies? Wheres my carsomyr or special spell to make my weapon holy uber? Paladins way cooler class in DND games. Monks also a dissapointment but a minor one.

Edited by Failion

The gamespot review is legit. I say all the other ones are bull****. This game has plenty of bugs like your cursor glitching out or spell effects lasting forever etc. All this stuff detracts normal people from the game. Also the writing was to excessive at points. Now this isn't bad for people that don't like reading but for people that dont some of my friends for example... Well lets just they can be almost done with the game and still don't know what the plot about LOL. Also the load times are very annoying especially in the city segments of the game I feel like I'm playing a playstation era game. Doesn't matter if you have a I3 or a I7 the load times are crap. 

My personal pet peeves with the game. Plot and classes. I don't like the plot because its similiar to planescapes torment. I never gave a crap about the endless history of nameless one and just wanted the loser to die. Uncovering ancient lore and past history is a boring motivation to play through a story.

Paladin. The paladin class in this game felt very boring to play. Wheres the minor priest spells. How I'm supposed to feel like DnDs holy warrior if I can't call on the power of bajesus to empower me/smack my enemies? Wheres my carsomyr or special spell to make my weapon holy uber? Paladins way cooler class in DND games. Monks also a dissapointment but a minor one.

It almost feels like they ran out of funding for Paladin.  

I´m shocked that you are shocked.

1) People have different tastes.

2) This game is not as good as you seem to believe it is.

3) D:OS is not as poor of a game as you seem to believe it is.

In actuality none of the games mentioned in OP are quite worth a 9 when you really go in and dig into the specifics. Each of them has too many actual flaws and weaknesses for that (not just style choices that are actual matters of taste and have no bearing on the actual quality of the product).

Lol, you shouldn't be shocked. Pillars is a way better game than D:OS. I can't count the amount of times I've read that people couldn't make it past the ten hour mark. If D:OS can't keep people engrossed for ten hours, I consider that a failure. Considering how expansive it is. 

• Like 1

Reviewers have different play styles and different views in what constitutes a great game.  PCGamer gave the game a 9.2 and an Editor's Choice rating.  But reading the review you can tell that the nostalgia for games like Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale played into his assessment of POE.  What matters is how much you personally enjoy a particular style of play of game genre.  It's like the movie ratings; a movie may get only two stars but audiences flock to see it because they find something that relates to them personally and another movie may get four stars and few people bother to see it.  Word of mouth and friends trusted opinions may sway you more than critics.

Mass Effect 3 was a brilliant ending to the best videogame trilogy that ever saw the light of day.

I would have to disagree with that last part. Dragon Age 2 takes that crown, since it's the best game to ever carry the Bioware name. Edited by Stun

Here's how to find the actual score for a game:

Was the game a sequel to a major franchise? Subtract 1 point from the reviewer score.

Did the game have a huge marketing campaign? Subtract 1 point from the reviewer score.

Was the game the final installment of a major series (eg mass effect 3)? Subtract 1 point from the reviewer score.

Was the game 'artsy' at the expense of gameplay? Subtract 1 point from the reviewer score.

Was the game a niche genre, or made by an unknown company? Add 1 point to the reviewer score.

Now you have a more accurate score for the game.

Say what? If we applied that Criteria to Baldur's Gate 2, it'd get, at best.... a 7.

Crazy. And False.

Baldur's Gate 2 wasn't - as far as I know - meant to be the end of a series (like ME3 was). It was just a sequel which expanded on the previous game.

Meaning that it's max score would be a 9 (-1 for being a sequel to a major franchise).

For me personally the game is so far a solid 7.5 .. it does not get anywhere near the greatness of BG2 (obviously) and is somewhere between BG1 and IWD 1 and is a few lengths away from IWD2. It is a bit closer to Torment than it should be as well, except it has the less interesting setting thematically.

You can't even COMPARE this game to D:OS, entirely different gameplay. And D:OS was for people who wanted an "open" interactive world. PoEt is literally the opposite of that. Both games have flaws. And both games have different target audiences too. Although personally I liked D:OS to some extend, also a 7.5 in my view.

But I still enjoyed PoEt for 40 hours and finished it, it did not engross me beyond that due to the loading times on an SSD being unacceptable. (Yes, even with 1.03) I will wait what patches and expansion bring and then give it another shot. In the end I am happy with what I got for backing this.

Does it really matter to your own enjoyment of the game what IGN scored it?

• Like 1

". It deserves a better score than FO:NV, Mask of the Betrayer "

No.

"Does it really matter to your own enjoyment of the game what IGN scored it?"

THIS.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Meaning that it's max score would be a 9 (-1 for being a sequel to a major franchise).

Its max score would be 8. <gag>

I know I'm going to regret giving even a casual thought to such gibberish. But lets apply BG2 to your list again.

Was the game a sequel to a major franchise? Check. (-1)

Did the game have a huge marketing campaign? Check. (-1)

So 8 out of 10. Whatever. 8 out of 10 is still a Travesty for a masterpiece like BG2, which is the standard upon which ALL RPGs are judged.

Edited by Stun

Since when is an 80% score considered a bad score? Hell in grammar school is was thrilled to bring home and 80% on a report card. Is it a generational thing? Do kids now a days need marks to be perfect on everything? Do we all get a trohpy now even if our work was just average, to above average? If we score you a 99% are we bullying you?

First, there is a well-known conflict of interest involving the bigger review sites and big publishers: the revenue of the review sites comes mainly from the advertisement of games... and the people most likely to pay serious money for such advertisement are the big publishers. Thus, if you want to know why Mediocre AAA Game X got 9/10, well, this is by far the most likely reason (despite the very loud protestations to the contrary). If you really want a mainstream opinion on a big-budget game, you are much better off with a mainstream magazine. For example, the best published analysis of Mass Effect 3 that I've seen came from, surprisingly enough, Forbes.

So what you're basically saying is that it's about ethics in video games journalism?

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -Marcus Aurelius

Mass Effect 3 was a brilliant ending to the best videogame trilogy that ever saw the light of day.

I would have to disagree with that last part. Dragon Age 2 takes that crown, since it's the best game to ever carry the Bioware name.

Oh I agree that 2 was better. It's still part of the trilogy. And 3 was still a brilliant ending in my opinion, even before the Extended Cut DLC.

Pillars getting 8/10 isn't so bad. I'd give it something like 8.5 probably. The problem is when games like DA:I get 9/10.

Pretty much this. It's been mentioned some times in this thread already and I fully agree.

8/10 is not a bad score, it's a really good score actually. And I can see why PoE would get that. It's not a perfect game, it is however a really good game...8/10.

If there is an issue it is indeed that DA:I and similar AAA or indies friendly with the reviewer will get a crazy inflated score. That is why I stopped looking at review scores a long time ago. I'll rather spend a little longer reading forums and boards dedicated to games and gauge what the consumers have to say about it.

• Like 2

"TV is not the sole measurement for a large marketing campaign."

Sole? No. But, it does help. However, PE 9and DOS) were both really hyped as well. Article after article praising them, [pimping them, etc., etc.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Just - wow. I can't believe the score Kevin van Ord gives PoE. 8/10, when he gave Dragon Age : Inquisition 9/10. AND Divinity Original Sin?!! Is he for real?

PoE is not perfect, but 8/10?

Something is definitely up here. Did the devs p*ss Van Ord off??

How can he say D:OS is a 'glimpse of the future' but PoE is treading the fine line between clone and homage? I lost interest in D:OS pretty quickly, the world is just too fairytale and garish, and everything is covered in either slime, fire or ice!!

I'm shocked by this review. Genuinely shocked.

Van Ord is a terrible reviewer with very bad taste in games.  I'm not at all surprised by this.

I don't care what gamespot gave this game?

I do. The industry dictates whether games like this get made. Reviews influence sales. Kickstarter is a last resort (and leads to irritating tombstones and NPCs) Opinions are opinions, but if I had read this particular review I might not have bought the game.

[edit] you can be as facetious as you like, this is a serious issue if you want to enjoy games like Pillars in future. It's an outrage, I tells you.

The industry has nothing to do with these kinds of games getting made or not anymore.  So screw them and their mainstream review sites.  Dragon Age Inquisition better than PoE?  Rofl...

Reading the review, a lot of it rang true to me.

He gave Dragon Age Inquistion a better score with its laughable story and cartoonish world.  That's the point.  For that matter he gave Divinity: Original Sin a better score despite again having a vastly inferior story and vastly inferior world.  Dude has bad taste, or simply doesn't play these kinds of games for the story and setting which is just bizarre. 

• Like 1