What kind of advice are you actually asking for? Like we told you what the skills do and how much you should have of each.

Whether having more than one character with high lore or survival depends on if you like to use consumables and scrolls on that character, athletics is usefull for everyone because of the fatigue gains and skill challenges, only one character needs mechanics, high stealth on everyone could be usefull but then you wouldn't have points for other skills so you just keep it low to average.

And lastly having high lore (and maybe survival) could be fun for the player character due to conversations they unlock.

Oh, I got my answer already. :) I think I already thanked the guys above.

I merely think that the skill system doesn't fit organically into the game mechanics (race, class system, character histories, etc.) and I am discussing this with all those who are willing to discuss this with me. This discussion helps me to better understand the game world and to build more realistic characters which improves the game experience for me. That's all. :)

Nevermind then. :)

Agreed, the skill system isn't this game's strong point, think they made it intentionally simplistic so you aren't stuck having to bring along "skill monkey" characters (something I actually appreciate though!).

Edited by falchen
  • Like 1

I know these things. My problem is that only high stealth is useful for the entire party. You can use the various companions for the other skills but it doesn't metter which one. It is bad role playing however in my opinion to have for instance a barbarian with high lore. In other words the skill system doesn't fit organically into the game mechanics. :/

Why is it 'bad' roleplaying if your Barbarian has high Lore?

Because Barbarians train their physique not their minds. I am not saying they cannot be educated but not too educated. You can't do everything in one lifetime in real life either than how could one achieve that in this harsh fantasy world? It's not realistic at all.

I think that this way of looking at it doesn't allow for characters to grow beyond the stereotypical paradigm for their class.  I don't really see it as bad role playing, as long as one role plays the barbarian in keeping with his education (i.e. the high Lore).  OTOH, if one just keeps playing the barbarian as a typical dumb barb (even with the high Lore skill), that seems like weak role playing to me ... unless perhaps the barbarian character is putting on a front to try to make people see him as a dumb barb when he really isn't.

What kind of advice are you actually asking for? Like we told you what the skills do and how much you should have of each.

Whether having more than one character with high lore or survival depends on if you like to use consumables and scrolls on that character, athletics is usefull for everyone because of the fatigue gains and skill challenges, only one character needs mechanics, high stealth on everyone could be usefull but then you wouldn't have points for other skills so you just keep it low to average.

And lastly having high lore (and maybe survival) could be fun for the player character due to conversations they unlock.

Oh, I got my answer already. :) I think I already thanked the guys above.

I merely think that the skill system doesn't fit organically into the game mechanics (race, class system, character histories, etc.) and I am discussing this with all those who are willing to discuss this with me. This discussion helps me to better understand the game world and to build more realistic characters which improves the game experience for me. That's all. :)

Nevermind then. :)

Agreed, the skill system isn't this game's strong point, think they made it intentionally simplistic so you aren't stuck having to bring along "skill monkey" characters (something I actually appreciate though!).

I'm not sure that I like the lack of a fairly deep set of skills or not.  Oh, I can appreciate not having a bunch of useless skills.  I do appreciate that skills aren't strongly linked to the various classes, though it seems to me that some of the skills could have had included modifiers based on a character's stats. 

For example, I'd think that Athletics could be modified by the more physical stats (i.e. MGT, DEX, and CON).  Perhaps an average of the three.  Possibly Resolve as well, since one might argue that one's resolve to soldier on thru one's fatigue could be a modifier there.

And Lore might be linked to INT.   And perhaps Mechanics, at least when looking for traps and hidden stuff might be modified by Perception.  And Stealth could be modified by DEX.  (Heck, Stealth should probably be modified by the type of armor you're wearing.  I have a hard time buying that anyone wearing full plate could be at all stealthy, short of it being some sort of magical plate armor specifically enchant to be less noisy and more stealthy.)

Just some thoughts.

• Like 1

About Kana, if you have enough lore, or if you're Aumauan, you can point out his unusual skin color, which leads to him explaining how his parents moved to Rauatai. He's a first generation child of immigrants.

Haha!  :lol:  I have just found that conversation with Kana Rua!!! It was awesome!!!  :dancing:

I know these things. My problem is that only high stealth is useful for the entire party. You can use the various companions for the other skills but it doesn't metter which one. It is bad role playing however in my opinion to have for instance a barbarian with high lore. In other words the skill system doesn't fit organically into the game mechanics. :/

Why is it 'bad' roleplaying if your Barbarian has high Lore?

Because Barbarians train their physique not their minds. I am not saying they cannot be educated but not too educated. You can't do everything in one lifetime in real life either than how could one achieve that in this harsh fantasy world? It's not realistic at all.

I think that this way of looking at it doesn't allow for characters to grow beyond the stereotypical paradigm for their class.  I don't really see it as bad role playing, as long as one role plays the barbarian in keeping with his education (i.e. the high Lore).  OTOH, if one just keeps playing the barbarian as a typical dumb barb (even with the high Lore skill), that seems like weak role playing to me ... unless perhaps the barbarian character is putting on a front to try to make people see him as a dumb barb when he really isn't.

True, but this way your barbarian will understand the arcane secrets of the wizards too not just the general lore of the world. I find that unrealistic but maybe I am wrong.

I'm not sure that I like the lack of a fairly deep set of skills or not.  Oh, I can appreciate not having a bunch of useless skills.  I do appreciate that skills aren't strongly linked to the various classes, though it seems to me that some of the skills could have had included modifiers based on a character's stats. 

For example, I'd think that Athletics could be modified by the more physical stats (i.e. MGT, DEX, and CON).  Perhaps an average of the three.  Possibly Resolve as well, since one might argue that one's resolve to soldier on thru one's fatigue could be a modifier there.

And Lore might be linked to INT.   And perhaps Mechanics, at least when looking for traps and hidden stuff might be modified by Perception.  And Stealth could be modified by DEX.  (Heck, Stealth should probably be modified by the type of armor you're wearing.  I have a hard time buying that anyone wearing full plate could be at all stealthy, short of it being some sort of magical plate armor specifically enchant to be less noisy and more stealthy.)

Just some thoughts.

You're absolutely right. I find it unrealistic that Edér who wears a chainmail armor and holds an actual house door on his arm as a shield can sneak up on forest creatures in the forest with high stealth skills. The body armors and shields don't have stealth modifiers at all. I have just checked.

Edited by Twinsen

Just some thoughts.

You're absolutely right. I find it unrealistic that Edér who wears a chainmail armor and holds an actual house door on his arm as a shield can sneak up on forest creatures in the forest with high stealth skills. The body armors and shields don't have stealth modifiers at all. I have just checked.

I don't see a great need for shields to have stealth modifiers.  My reasoning is that shields are generally a single static "unit", whereas armor, by necessity, has to be a collection of linked parts that cover the body and need to move as the body moves.  And when the body moves and those parts move, they're going to make some noise.  Your plate armored tank is going to be going clunk-clunk-clunk as he's walking thru the forest trying to be stealthy.  Or you chain mail warrior is going having a sort of ching-ching-ching sound going on as the mail moves as you move.  And so on.  Hence the (negative) stealth modifier. 

Oddly though, if you have a shield, but it's unequipped (on your back) while you're trying to be stealthy, it might make more noise there than if you had it on your arm.  Maybe.

• Like 1

I don't see a great need for shields to have stealth modifiers.  My reasoning is that shields are generally a single static "unit", whereas armor, by necessity, has to be a collection of linked parts that cover the body and need to move as the body moves.  And when the body moves and those parts move, they're going to make some noise.  Your plate armored tank is going to be going clunk-clunk-clunk as he's walking thru the forest trying to be stealthy.  Or you chain mail warrior is going having a sort of ching-ching-ching sound going on as the mail moves as you move.  And so on.  Hence the (negative) stealth modifier. 

Oddly though, if you have a shield, but it's unequipped (on your back) while you're trying to be stealthy, it might make more noise there than if you had it on your arm.  Maybe.

Well, I think a lot depends on the size of that shield. This particular shield has the size of an actual house door. You cannot manoeuvre an object of that size easily in the bushes in my opinion. I did not try that yet though so I am just guessing...  :grin: