Updates are huge (~600 MB)

EternalPillarFollower

Question

13 answers to this question

the issue is with unity, and how it has compressed files, but it seems that for gog, their patches are a lot smaller, there is a way to reduce the size of the updates, (maybe this is what gog has chosen?) but there are sometimes downsides to this, like even longer longer times.

a few games that uses unity suffer from this problem.

This hotfix should fix every broken trap door. Changing such doors imply changing the files the doors are in and those files are fairly large.

Slow internet connections and Unity are no fun at all.

Cail The Silent- The drake coils its body protectively around something. "One day I will become a burning thing. Bright and terrible like my spark."
Quest "Cinders of Faith"

Sagani- Sagani chuckles. "Nothing against these stuffy forests, but you haven't seen the southern lights over Naasitaq."
Quest "The Long Hunt"

Some of us do not have fast internet like me, I have to rely on satellite and I am limited to 250 megs per day unless I stay up  till 2am when we get free time (not limited on how many megs we use) and even then doing large files can take more than one day to do.  On a good night if I stay up from 2am-7am I can download 3 gigs, and that depends on the server I am getting the files from as well.  Thankfully Origin and Gog allow me to pause and restart else I would never get my games or patches.   (My download speed is 250-300 kbs which is why it takes so long.)  When you live out in the middle of no where you use what you can I have only 2 channels on my TV and there is no cable out here. 

For those of you that have gotten the patch and hotfix be lucky thus far Origin has not gotten and or released it yet so I am still stuck at the hold.

Seriously? You complain about 600mb? Oo

That's hardly the size of a decent-quality episode of your favorite pirated show!

People that take internet for granted are amusing.

How did you deal with the 7 gigs steam download then?

I dunno, ask to people with monthly data caps or snail speeds.

The average global download speed in the last quarter of 2014 was 4mbps.

Try imagine how many people are there in the world with less than 1mbps to average at only 4.

Edited by DocDoomII

I'd strongly prefer having to download 600MB from GOG (an hour or so to complete) than having no patches at all, as it is now. I'm stuck with the unfixed 1.3 that is simply unplayable.

Hello Maquabra,

The GOG patch to Build 530 (1.3.0530) posted today. You can update your game to the hot-fix release. Not perfect, but better. Barring a slow internet connection.