This game is so, so gorgeous

For static pre-rendered backgrounds, there is a lot that is non-static about them, animated lakes, waterfalls, dynamic lighting. I don't think the game gets enough credit for how good it looks.

Furthermore, have you ever zoomed in on the characters in a crowded area? Everyone looks unique. The clothes, armor, weapons, faces, all look unique and they all look really good. Love finding a new piece of armor or clothing because even if I don't choose to wear it, I still put it on to see what it looks like on my character.

For static pre-rendered backgrounds, there is a lot that is non-static about them, animated lakes, waterfalls, dynamic lighting. I don't think the game gets enough credit for how good it looks.

Furthermore, have you ever zoomed in on the characters in a crowded area? Everyone looks unique. The clothes, armor, weapons, faces, all look unique and they all look really good. Love finding a new piece of armor or clothing because even if I don't choose to wear it, I still put it on to see what it looks like on my character.

Right I modified zoom from 1 to .7 to get in even closer and that is not normal for me in other games, but when fighting inside I like it zoomed all the way in.

I remember reading that there's a specific landscape painter the art director was inspired by in choosing the palette and quality of light for the game -- but I can't remember who it was and I can't find the link anymore.

Anyone have this info?

DID YOU KNOW: *Missing String*

True enough, this game looks amazing.  I remember seeing an early mock-up screen in the early KS days and thinking, "well, that looks great, but I'm sure that's their best foot forward, and most areas will be more bland and copy/pasted".  Then I start playing the game and I'm thinking, "holy tomatoes, it ALL looks that good!"

It really makes exploring the game world a pleasure.  You want to see what that next area will look like.  Hopefully the artists who worked on the game will get the feedback somehow: they knocked this thing out of the park.

My favourites were the first dungeon you are forced into, I just saw the paved tiles and the archways etc. and fell in love with the game straightaway, I also loved finding the dungeoun entrance by the Waterfall which was I think the first artwork released , stood there for a while and admired it while thinking, wow, this game happened, and it's great!

There is heat shimmer above flames!  It's great.

I badg- er, talked a friend into getting the game and the first thing she said to me was "you were right, this is really pretty," after she'd been worrying about whether she could enjoy it, given that the graphics of BG1 put her off too much. 

Edited by sparklecat