This game is so, so gorgeous

Was wandering around Elm's Reach earlier and I just stopped to admire the scenery for a good few minutes.  Nothing major, just the autumn leaves, patches of sunlight on the grass, and a perfect ambient twittering birds background to complete the mood.  And I usually am not too fond of any nature-y druid filled areas, but this was just beautiful and peaceful.

I also got stuck watching the water in Anslog's Compass for a rather excessive period of time; what areas have struck the rest of you in this respect?  Not talking about the gameplay, just the look and feeling.

• Like 18

At first I couldn't see it, but after a while the art direction grew on me. 

Having trouble with the games combat on POTD, Trial of Iron?

- Hurtin bomb droppin MONK - [MONK BUILD] - [CLICK HERE]

- Think Rangers suck? You're wrong - [RANGER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

- Fighter Heavy Tank - [FIGHTER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

Despite what I may post, I'm a huge fan of Pillars of Eternity, it's one of my favorite RPG's.

Anita Sarkeesian keeps Bioware's balls in a jar on her shelf.

Yeah, I've really been digging the environmental art in this game. Just wandering around feels awesome. One of the reasons I could never get into DA:O was that everything looked so bland. In PoE, places may look dreary (to the point that the game has actually been making me think of Diablo 1), but they never look bland. Obsidian really nailed the look. It perfectly matches the grim tone of much of the content.

Can't say that there's any particular part that's hypnotized me, but overall, I couldn't be happier with the area art.

• Like 1

I also got stuck watching the water in Anslog's Compass for a rather excessive period of time; what areas have struck the rest of you in this respect?  Not talking about the gameplay, just the look and feeling.

The atmosphere of that entire area is great. The visuals - the music.

The seaweed. The seaweed, floating with the tide and waves in the ocean. Hypnotic.

• Like 2

Was wandering around Elm's Reach earlier and I just stopped to admire the scenery for a good few minutes.  Nothing major, just the autumn leaves, patches of sunlight on the grass, and a perfect ambient twittering birds background to complete the mood.  And I usually am not too fond of any nature-y druid filled areas, but this was just beautiful and peaceful.

Admit it, the music had a part in this !

Music in PoE ranges from utterly forgettable and generic to incredible. These are my favorites:

mus_town_defiance_bay.ogg,

mus_dungeon_engwithan_ruins.ogg

mus_dungeon_od_nua_a.ogg

mus_dungeon_temple_of_skaen.ogg

mus_dungeon_temple_of_woedica.ogg

mus_scripted_prologue.ogg

mus_town_oldsong.ogg

mus_wilderness_elmshore.ogg

mus_combat_g.ogg

mus_combat_e.ogg

GOG still doesn't have the 1.03 Linux patch, so Ogre Druids in my game have Insect Swarm of infinite duration. Before I realized it's a bug, I watched my party slowly drop dead one by one. It's raw damage so no way to absorb it with a beer or ale. Not possible to cast healing spells outside combat. Nothing I could do. That music, the forest at night, and companions having their last words. When it was time for Eder, he said "Yeah... we had some good times."

Edited by b0rsuk

My favorite area was probably Ondra's Gift. I just loved the look and feel of that area. The sea mist when you enter the area from the east entrance was a lovely touch.

I loved the Twin Elms areas also, they are just really beautiful.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

I agree about the water in Anslog's Compass. That also made me pause to take in the scenery... a very rare occurance now days. It's strange how the game can look old school and yet have super graphics at the same time.

It's not as old school as you think. It's pretty amazing what they did. They literally built a full 3D world out of the 2D painted background then locked the camera in at an angle where the optical illusion generates a view of a flat plane.

The overall effect is amazing.

• Like 5

I found that watching the kelp floating on the water in that area was mesmerising and stood staring at it for a good few minutes.

• Like 1

The odd thing is that a lot of the screenshots prior to release really reminded me of Arcanum for some reason - but once I got in game everything looked *way* crisper.   Maybe my browser is purposefully foiling image quality. 

I was really pleased with the look of this game, even trees are *great* looking - Bob Ross quality happy trees all over the place. 

• Like 1

One of the things I've been missing the most from the 2D painted games.

One of the reasons why I love skyboxes as well, beautiful art <3

He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster . . .

when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you

twin elms must burn.

I see the dreams so marvelously sad

The creeks of land so solid and encrusted

Where wave and tide against the shore is busted

While chanting by the moonlit twilight's bed

trees (of Twin Elms) could use more of Magran's touch © Durance

It's a shame that the beautiful Anslog's compass has so little to do in it.  I personally really like the wilderness maps around Twin Elms, and think that the other maps should try to match that content density.  Also the backer beta area is quite nice.

Edited by anameforobsidian

Now when I go to an art gallery, I'll look at a beautiful painting and imagine my character running around over the canvas .....

Having trouble with the games combat on POTD, Trial of Iron?

- Hurtin bomb droppin MONK - [MONK BUILD] - [CLICK HERE]

- Think Rangers suck? You're wrong - [RANGER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

- Fighter Heavy Tank - [FIGHTER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

Despite what I may post, I'm a huge fan of Pillars of Eternity, it's one of my favorite RPG's.

Anita Sarkeesian keeps Bioware's balls in a jar on her shelf.

When I first backed Pillars I really didn't think it would end up looking so good, considering it was supposed to be made on such a modest budget. That mock screenie they knocked up during the kickstarter was impressive though and gave me high hopes, which have been completely blown away. This is probably the most beautiful game I've ever seen.

• Like 1

.... and then you turn on a Sweet FX script! x2

This <3

A pre-rendered with 3d models game without smaa + luma-sharpener is like looking at the ocean with thick layer of oil on your goggles. I wish game devs would wise up and finally implement optional luma sharpener post filters. MSAA does not filter texture flickering either, so this game basically BEGS for smaa/fxaa or one of these, on top of MSAA and with support of luma-sharpener to prevent blur-AA from actually blurring everything

But then, they don't have to do that as long as SweetFX / Reshade work nicely...

Edited by eRe4s3r