Given that the PoE ExPack is most likely at least in pre-prod for the expansion, when does everyone bet we would see a highly probably Pillars of Eternity II?

E3 is June 16-18. It would be ridiculous not to at least announce the expansion then. I'm going to place it at a December release, January 2016 at latest. Given that PoE 2 would take a lot more work than an ExPack, but minus time for the lore, story, and engine already existing, I feel confident in hypothetically staking a claim in the April 2017 - July 2017 timeframe.

Let the great guessing game begin!

• Like 2

It really depends on a lot of factors. 

How many expansion packs is PoE going to get?

How much money is PoE making?

Will they do another kickstarter to fund the sequel?

Will they improve the tech and possibly improve/replace the engine?

Do they have other projects in the works that take precedence?

Since most of those questions are presently unanswered I'd say there's no way to know.  As far as the first expansion goes I expect it in roughly six to nine months.

Edited by Atheosis
  • Like 1

I'd say next Spring for the expansion. They have a lot of other irons in the fire and I suspect that all hands are currently on deck for bug-fixes and enhanced content for the patches. Which means that if anyone is currently working on it, it's a skeleton crew. Assume 18 months after than for a sequel...meaning xmas 2017?

P.S. PoE is still number 5 on the Steam top sellers list. As much as I'd like to see a quick turn around on a PoE sequel, part of me hopes they use this money to spin up another IP as quickly as they can. 

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

The expansion is likely coming in two parts if the Feargus interview comes to fruitation. First should be soonmish. The other likely end of year.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Official confirmation that the expansion will be available in a format that works with our DRM-free discs would be nice, too.

eta: our theoretical DRM-free discs which we will hopefully have by that point

Edited by sparklecat

According to my backer site I have only bought the first part of the expansion. Which is cool with me if it got content enough for the price. :)

Pillars of Eternity - Expansion Pack 1

*** Not yet available ***

Now that Pillars of Eternity has shipped, we're hard at work on the first expansion. Stay tuned for an upcoming backer update on release date details!

The first expansion pack for Pillars of Eternity.

Developed by: Obsidian Entertainment

Edited by TheisEjsing

The expansion is likely coming in two parts if the Feargus interview comes to fruitation. First should be soonmish. The other likely end of year.

^This. The other part might come later though. In the interview they stated they made it two parts because they wanted people to experience more of the game as soon as possible.

I'd still like official confirmation on the relation between the backers who purchased the expansion and the expansion-in-two-parts.

Agreed. But still, brace yourself for the possibility that you're only going to get 1 of the 2 (and paying for the second). I'm just saying (I'm prepared for it, even if I would think it would be a tad bit shady practice for those of us that paid for an expansion).

There is great merit in episodic releases, and episodic expansions.

Honestly, it'd be most awesome if they never released a Pillars of Eternity 2, but simply expanded on Pillars of Eternity with episodic content with gameplay and story modules. Eventually having a large open world with multiple starting locations and continents etc. adding multiplayer (Not MMO), allowing for campaign settings, Dungeon Master mode, classes, level caps etc. :D probably won't happen but... would be freaking awesome.

I've read all sorts of developer comments in interviews about things their thinking about. I'm sure somebody has tossed that idea out at Obsidian. I read an interview where they mentioned publishing a tabletop RPG in the PoE world, possibly using the straight rules out of the game with a few tabletop-friendly alterations.

I don't think Obsidian really planned exactly what to do with this level of success. I think they're checking out lots of options and looking at every idea that comes along, until they find something that sticks. PoE 2 seems a likely eventuality, but whether it will use the same system or be a sort of 2nd Edition kind of thing...that I don't know.

I think the time frame for PoE2 would depend on how they are managing the team for the expansions. Constant work is better than nothing, and if they have their pipelines set up well they could be working on both at the same time. As such, I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a PoE2 in 2016. However, I know 2017 is more realistic.

Edited by illathid

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer

I'd say next Spring for the expansion. They have a lot of other irons in the fire and I suspect that all hands are currently on deck for bug-fixes and enhanced content for the patches. Which means that if anyone is currently working on it, it's a skeleton crew. Assume 18 months after than for a sequel...meaning xmas 2017?

P.S. PoE is still number 5 on the Steam top sellers list. As much as I'd like to see a quick turn around on a PoE sequel, part of me hopes they use this money to spin up another IP as quickly as they can. 

I have no idea where you got these ideas.  The expansion almost certainly will not take a year.  You have to understand that a lot of material was not used in the main game and was simply put aside (this is standard in the industry generally).  The good bits will almost certainly be fleshed out and used in the expansion.  I bet nearly half the content of the expansion already exists in varying degrees of completeness.

The same place you got the idea that half the content is in some degree of completion.

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

The same place you got the idea that half the content is in some degree of completion.

It was conjecture based my generally understanding of how these kinds of games are made.  I'd be very surprised if there isn't a plethora of unfinished material they can draw from to add 20-30 more hours of content.

I sort of hope, if PoE is doing super well, that Obsidian can work on another original IP, even if it delays PoE2 a little bit or a fair bit. Because I tend to like new IP's over endless sequels (and I'm not getting any younger). That's just me tho.

That said...I'll guess early to mid 2018 for PoE2.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I am with LadyCrimson. I am loving PoE (and would love PoE2) but I too would like to see OE try something different as well. Personally, I wanna see them try something that hasn't really been done too often. Maybe dial in some Buck Rodgers and do a Sci Fi themed isometric, TB, party based cRPG. Instead of a stronghold they can have an upgradable space cruiser/colony thing (Battlestar Galactica like or some such). Or maybe do something akin to Deadlands (post-apoc + old west). Or maybe something similar to Solomon Kane. Or Ravenloft. Basically, do a gutsy setting that is significantly different than typical high fantasy.

Don't get me wrong. PoE is great and I think its on par with BG2. I just would love to see them do something less traditional.