Killing backer NPCs for loot causes reputation loss now?

Yeah its really just for random NPCs. On the map with the broken bridge to Defiance Bay there is a backer NPC on the edge which you can kill without problems, however the backer NPCs which stand before the bridge give reputation loss when you kill them.

Same with Gilded Vale, the two NPCs in the house north i could kill but outside i get a reputation loss. Dont know if it has anything to do with line of sight to other NPCs

The ones in Madhmar bridge cause defiance bay reputation loss, a shame because one of them had the Aedyr clothing.

That happened with those backer NPCs at least in the 1.02somethingsomething.  Perhaps even launch.

edited for clarity

Edited by Ninjerk

Mostly it seems you can kill any of them if they're on their own, but if anyone sees it (for instance if they are in pairs) you get the rep loss even if you kill both.

This isn't completely accurate though, because in some house in Defiance Bay there were two backer NPCs and I killed one, and the other didn't care. So I killed him too.

I am pretending that the backer NPCs are all part of a big secret plot that you can only find out about because of your special powers. So, you must kill them where you can, but everyone thinks you're just a crazy murderer if you're caught.

• Like 1

More seriously: I think if Obsidian were to do something like backer NPCs again, or another developer would copy the system, they should impose that they're allowed to adapt names to make them fit in. Some of the names obviously don't fit in the setting and this is annoying.

More seriously: I think if Obsidian were to do something like backer NPCs again, or another developer would copy the system, they should impose that they're allowed to adapt names to make them fit in. Some of the names obviously don't fit in the setting and this is annoying.

there is an option in the IE mod to re-roll backer names into something more relevant to the area they are found in.

if people are really worried about it, they can try that.

all this negativiity towards backers being in game though... people might want to take a step back and consider the implications of your irrational rage.

I rather think that a lot of money for this project came from people who wanted to be included in it.

you start making that a negative thing.... you're going to lose a LOT of backers.

would you rather projects like this never got off the ground?  because seriously, that IS the fate of the vast majority of games you never even get to hear about.

• Like 4

All this negativiity towards backers being in game though... people might want to take a step back and consider the implications of your irrational rage.

I just want them out of my game personally - I don't want to risk triggering a flashback sequence every time I talk to an NPC if I'm not constantly holding down TAB to see who is a "real" NPC and who isn't.

But I'm sure we'll see a mod that removes them completely (or at the least replaces them with villagers with default names) eventually.

• Like 1

Aren't backer npc's actually a part of that town?  Doesn't it make sense that killing residents of a town would decrease your reputation in that town? This is immersive no?

Having trouble with the games combat on POTD, Trial of Iron?

- Hurtin bomb droppin MONK - [MONK BUILD] - [CLICK HERE]

- Think Rangers suck? You're wrong - [RANGER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

- Fighter Heavy Tank - [FIGHTER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

Despite what I may post, I'm a huge fan of Pillars of Eternity, it's one of my favorite RPG's.

Anita Sarkeesian keeps Bioware's balls in a jar on her shelf.

Do you actually click on NPCs just randomly?

What you do in these games is looking for NPCs with a name, or some unique description ("Concerned Townsman"). Everyone else is irrelevant. :D

• Like 1

Therefore I have sailed the seas and come

To the holy city of Byzantium. -W.B. Yeats

Χριστός ἀνέστη!

I just want them out of my game personally - I don't want to risk triggering a flashback sequence every time I talk to an NPC if I'm not constantly holding down TAB to see who is a "real" NPC and who isn't.

The flashback doesn't trigger as soon as you talk to them.  You have to choose a dialog option to trigger it.

This happened to me and would like a confirmation if correct.

Early game, release version you could steal in front of ghosts, their ghost, so no big, they don't care.

Now later in the game, latest version, I have stolen in front of recent ghosts and they go into red-ring battle mode and it's a fight.

Was this always how it worked or something changed or bugged?

there is an option in the IE mod to re-roll backer names into something more relevant to the area they are found in.

if people are really worried about it, they can try that.

all this negativiity towards backers being in game though... people might want to take a step back and consider the implications of your irrational rage.

I rather think that a lot of money for this project came from people who wanted to be included in it.

you start making that a negative thing.... you're going to lose a LOT of backers.

would you rather projects like this never got off the ground?  because seriously, that IS the fate of the vast majority of games you never even get to hear about.

Could be as simple as an option to just turn them off. We get it, you backed the game, mad props, now get the **** out of my game please. lol They're as immersion breaking as developer commentary and as cool as they both are, at least developer commentary is able to be turned on and off.

BTW The way killing NPCs works is you can kill anyone without a reputation loss (for the most part) as long as no one sees you do it. Which is as simple as the fog of war covering them up or them not looking in your direction when you deal the killing blow. If you can manage to 1 shot an NPC while another one has it's back turned, no rep loss cause he didn't see it lol.

-----

Edited by Nokturnal Lex

Yeah its really just for random NPCs. On the map with the broken bridge to Defiance Bay there is a backer NPC on the edge which you can kill without problems, however the backer NPCs which stand before the bridge give reputation loss when you kill them.

You mean Craddock Bridgeman!? How could you!

Aw. That's a shame. Haven't really looked at my rep, guess it may be down in the gutter then... Ugh, why isn't there an option to have those NPCs' golden name tags always on display? Offing them was such a handy alternative.

Why dont you just map a key to toggle Interactables like anyone else would?