Disable Auto-Attack/Engage option - not working

peddroelm

Question

There should be an option to turn off party combat AI completely.. NO AUTO attack , no auto engage - it causes enormous amounts of gratuitous grief .. (with the minor exception of keeping to attack engaged target until new PLAYER orders, or target destroyed)

There should be a new auto-pause event - CHARACTER IDLE - AWAITING Player orders - that should trigger after:

- move commands ( that should be executed TO COMPLETION - not randomly canceled because the char decided to stop along the way and engage some hostile (incredibly dumb/annoying) if said hostile is one of your own units temporary under enemy control) . Auto engage friendly (enemy controlled) unit and promptly destroy it with disengagement attack when it moves away - this is horrendously broken. Player should have total control on attacking friendly units under temporary enemy control ..  If I ordered my char to move out of enemy engagement  - means I'm ready and willing to pay the (disengagement attack) cost.. 

-target destroyed

-spell // ability cast

-unit active/controllable again (after negative effects (confusion/prone/etc..) expire )

This would allow for smooth flanking orders/control (your units no longer auto sticking to the first hostile unit along the path FOR NO REASON), and zero wasted combat rounds because its hard to tell what each of your characters is  doing ( SLEEPING IN HIS/HER BOOTS) sometimes under multiple AOE spell effects and ability to avoid damaging mind controlled friendly units (if mind controlled unit engages one of your units - that is a different case - my problem is with the units SUPPOSEDLY under my control auto engaging friendly units and killing them for no reason)..   

This auto-governing Random player order canceling is got to stop !!  Give me(PLAYER) full control over my(his) characters while they are supposedly under my control (not confused/disabled/dominated etc .. ) 

Will need to add option to order each char to stand ground (when you want to hold defensive position without giving other orders) ..

And yes 5+ units friendly ganging up on an enemy will need 5+ individual orders after said enemy hopefully expires ( Autopause - unit 1,2,3,4,5,6.. needs new orders  - potentially tedious but small price to pay in order to mainain full control and prevent own units from taking FAR-from optimal combat actions)

Edited by peddroelm
  • Like 4

WPNTVf7.jpg

12 answers to this question

Some background

" I'm playing a melee heavy party trough the hardest difficulty as my fist playtrough ..

3 weapon and shield defensive line / tanks ( fighter/paladin/chanter )

3 damage dealers (pike barb to poke enemies from behind defensive line, dual wield rogue and fist monk for starting flanking opperations )  ..  Currenly party is level 3 with level 4 barb protagonist..

It can be incredibly fun  or incredibly frustrating when chracters break formation - start doing stooopid things WITHOUT ORDERS .. Combat interface needs some working (see above post) to be able to properly control melee heavy party .."

-----------

Since I can lo longer edit my fist post (forum setting that also needs fixing :) )

-autopause when target broke engagement (ran away and survived the free attack of oportunity). FOR THE LOVE OF GOD don't collapse the defensive line giving chase !!!!  UNLESS SPECIFICALLY ORDERED TO DO SO ..

Edited by peddroelm
  • Like 1

WPNTVf7.jpg

I've recently been using Wall of Fire, cast just beyond a couple of melee types in a doorway. It's glorious... until the frontliners kill something and run forwards through the wall of fire.

The options just don't work. Turning off auto-attack doesn't stop them seeking a new target. Setting auto-pause on target destroyed doesn't seem to stop them running into the fire either.

This is pretty bad -- I've always thought that realtime games with auto-pause could be as good as turn-based for tactical control and non-infuriatingness. PoE is near-missing, but \ miss is as good as a mile.

You should have made the game turn based, if you can't make the realtime/autopause work right.

• Like 1

This is especially annoying in solo play where your single party member charges forward from the nice safe protected corner/doorway he was fighting in to be instantly surrounded by 3/4 mobs I just wanna shout at him "YOU ****ING IDIOT DO YOU HAVE A DEATHWISH???"

I am actually having the exact opposite problem.  My characters, unless hit will not auto attack anything.  They just stand there after their current target is killed, or after using an ability, especially the ranged characters.  This is extremely annoying and makes combat a huge slog.

I am actually having the exact opposite problem.  My characters, unless hit will not auto attack anything.  They just stand there after their current target is killed, or after using an ability, especially the ranged characters.  This is extremely annoying and makes combat a huge slog.

That explains it ! delivery man must've switched the game versions between us :p .. Wanna switch ?

Edited by peddroelm

WPNTVf7.jpg

Also, a druid shapeshifting into stag form will make a bee-line for the nearest enemy, every single time. This is with auto attack disabled, and the only command issued to the druid 'shapeshift'. I haven't tested it with other spirit forms.

I do often note that Eder and other melee-focused companions switch targets, unprompted. Its highly annoying.

Edited by agris

The spontan "out of my selection circle" jump that happens if a combat is triggered and the party were walking inside of their circles leads also to heavy fun, as all just given walk and attack orders are totally worthless because Aloth stands with his 10m range in front, blocking straight, right, left to the enemy. If the door its not to small there is at least a way "wide around" but for any melee after another.

Also priceless the self trapping effect. Melee surrounded by caster and archers cries: “Help, I am not gonna attack anything” and cancels the attack order.

Did I mention that Sangari does not come closer? I found her repeadly at the farthest end of the battle field, idel. 2 Steps forward and she would be in attack range.