Council of Stars- no Eothas?

Eothas could more easily come back once it is proven that Waidwen's Legacy doesn't start with Waidwen.

You're gonna have a tough time convincing anyone at all that "Waidwen's Legacy" doesn't start with "Waidwen". ;)

On a serious note, doesn't

animancy get the blame no matter how you play it?

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!

It has been hinted at that Eothas Avatar (Waiden) was destroyed (Godhammer bomb) and therefore weakened, and his portfolio was absorbed by Magran and the others.  This is all part of the "conspiracy" thing.

Meaning that Eothas is dead and won't be coming back.

I think Eothas is just out of action for a long time, not dead. There is a reason he is called "Scattered God", not Dead God or Destroyed God. Also, Eothas is a god of hope, and redemption. If any god could come back from the dead, it would be Eothas and Berath. The lore is very non-specific as to what actually happened to Eothas. Durance has some speculations on this, but he has some fuzzy theories on Magran as well.

Also, for some reason there are still priests of Eothas and you can opt to be one. The cult is still alive, so for all intents and purposes the god exists. Or do you think Eothas priests will be given choice to switch to another god in expansion/sequel ?

The candles in the temple are still burning.

Eothas like all the other gods is just big soul power controlling machine which has set purpose on the world.

As long as that machine exists Eothas exist, but Eothas probably put lot of his power in his avatar, which destruction by godhammer probably weakened him lot and it's also quite probable that other gods used similar methods to lock him out of his power as they did for Woedica in distant past. So I would say that it is possible bring him back same way as Thaos tries to bring Woedica back to power. Or it probably is also possible that other gods could bring him back especially if player decides not to give Woedica souls of hollowborn children.

Priests don't get their power from gods but from their own souls, which is why Durance can use his powers even though Magran don't know that he exist anymore. 

• Like 1

It is funny that anyone thinks that Thaos is really dead, when one contemplates the main theme of the story - is any answer truly reliable?  Can we ever know for certain yadda yadda yadda.

Is Thaos truly destroyed?  Why can't Woedica re-assemble his soul for the pieces (in case one has done that)?

Truth be told, we do not know the limits of these gods.  We only know that they tend to hold to a bargain not to interfere with the mortal realm directly.  And even that seems tenuous.

Priests do not gain power directly from a god, but from their beliefs and faith. Eothas is not dead, his condition is truly unknown, even collector's book mentions that. He may be dead, may be alive, may be hiding, may exist between life and death realms or gone into somewhere. People of Eora don't know what exactly happened to him after Godhammer. If he wasn't Waidwen (I really doubt of it) that's interesting why he hasn't spoken to his followers since 15 years and even more to make situation clear.

• 2 weeks later...

Priests do not gain power directly from a god, but from their beliefs and faith. Eothas is not dead, his condition is truly unknown, even collector's book mentions that. He may be dead, may be alive, may be hiding, may exist between life and death realms or gone into somewhere. People of Eora don't know what exactly happened to him after Godhammer. If he wasn't Waidwen (I really doubt of it) that's interesting why he hasn't spoken to his followers since 15 years and even more to make situation clear.

This exactly. It's why I'm not really capable of progressing past this quest with this character- he truly believes in Eothas, much like Eder, despite his silence for the past decade and a half- it wouldn't make sense for him to go "Welp, Eothas ain't helping, guess I'll just give up my faith and hop on another god train". As much as it pains me, I'll have to just hop in the pit and re-roll. Thanks for all the answers, everybody, I appreciate it!

People even in a fantasy game will always need a god of hope, redemption, second chances.  If the gods receive their powers from those who worship them and there are still worshipers of Eothas then he can and will return.  Maybe not quite the same as before.  He is called the scattered god so some resembling might be needed.

• Like 1

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg

This exactly. It's why I'm not really capable of progressing past this quest with this character- he truly believes in Eothas, much like Eder, despite his silence for the past decade and a half- it wouldn't make sense for him to go "Welp, Eothas ain't helping, guess I'll just give up my faith and hop on another god train". As much as it pains me, I'll have to just hop in the pit and re-roll. Thanks for all the answers, everybody, I appreciate it!

You could try to rationalize that as a speaking to your god's god buddy. That's what I did (even if my character wasn't particulary into worshipping stuff). It's just a communication. A communication with god is called prayer, nothing more to it.

True form of Eothas is

Schrödinger's cat

Pillars of Bugothas

I have a question.  Maybe I missed something in the lore but isn't Eothas still worshiped in other countries?  He is just dead in Dyrwood isn't he?

nakia_banner.jpg

I have a question.  Maybe I missed something in the lore but isn't Eothas still worshiped in other countries?  He is just dead in Dyrwood isn't he?

I think worshippers all over the world haven't heard him since 15 years, although they still believe Eothas lives, he only do not speak to them anymore from some reason. I guess when a god takes human form it is normal for that god to be silent when being beyond the Shroud, but in case of Eothas his silence is much longer after death of Waidwen's body (I guess god should have returned to Hel after end of incarnation and normally speak to his followers then). His worshippers also accept fact that Waidwen was Eothas incarnation (in general). There is some kind of paradox between Waidwen-Eothas relation. Many people believe in Eothas' death after Saint's War (look at Eothas' description at character creation). But if it is true, that means that Waidwen had to be truly Eothas' avatar (if not, god could not die because of it). Collector's book mentions that main form of Eothas and Dawnstars haven't been seen since Readceran rebellion. But there is NO information about Gaun's condition! What is more Gaun is worshipped in Aedyr Empire (character creation mentions about Eothas cult being popular among Aedyrans) as one of their main deities. I guess Gaun can be seen but is probably silent like Berath's Usher. Look at pre-order items - they are associated with Eothas-Gaun and bring you life when your character needs it.

Thinking about detonation of Godhammer and Waidwen death, we know that Eder's brother fought in Saint's War in winter. So, if Waidwen died in winter too (end of 2808 AI), Eothas silence fits perfectly with his subservience to Rymrgrand, god of winter, entropy and fall, espiecially when they have opposite domains like rebirth, springtime/winter, destruction. That god also claims that all life ends in silence not in rebirth like says Berath. There is only silence and nothing after death. Point of no return.

Edited by White Phoenix

People even in a fantasy game will always need a god of hope, redemption, second chances.  If the gods receive their powers from those who worship them and there are still worshipers of Eothas then he can and will return.  Maybe not quite the same as before.  He is called the scattered god so some resembling might be needed.

I'm sticking to my pet theory that Eothas have been split into the twin gods of Retribution and Mercy. Some assembly required indeed. :p

t50aJUd.jpg

I the game player not the in-game character am not convinced Eothas was Waidwen.  I hope the sequel will clear up the mystery of all this.  If you have to have a god or if some supernatural beings are playing god then people really need a god of redemption, of hope of rebirth that is rebirth of the soul, the spirit, what ever makes us who and what we are.  Otherwise we will go mad.

• Like 1

nakia_banner.jpg

Main problems are:

a) Waidwen was Eothas avatar/servant --> so Waidwen is dead, Eothas is dead (popular belief) vs. Waidwen is dead, Eothas is not dead (worshippers) ---> silence as a result of death or unknown reason in second theory.

b) Waidwen was not Eothas avatar  ---> so Waidwen is dead, Eothas is not dead (logic)---> still silence of unknown reason (not as effect of avatar being or divine death) vs. Waidwen is dead, Eothas is dead --> I have no idea what think about it.

LESS POSSIBLE THEORIES 

c) Waidwen is alive, Eothas is alive  ---> silence, because Waidwen still lives as Eothas avatar, both survived Godhammer explosion, they could be weakend.

d) Waidwen is alive, Eothas is dead ---> silence, because Eothas and Waidwen became separated as the result of the bomb, Waidwen survived due to his divine part death, he became ordinary human being again.

e) Waidwen is alive (being not avatar) ---> he had luck, his soul is only damaged like Durance was.

My theory

Waidwen is dead in all cases, but if we're talking about Eothas:

a) Eothas is dead ---> his soul was scattered and fragments of it went through the cycle. Some people got them, not knowing about it or he is simple dead, his soul was fully destroyed together with Waidwen's body and soul.

b) Eothas is alive ----> he is hiding, possibly weakend, waits for moment to show up or he is a prisoner of other gods (Woedica, Magran) or he was banished from pantheon or he got stuck between life and death realm (collector's book suggests it in some way).

So, regardless of those theories the only one known objective fact is that Eothas IS silent after Saint's War or even more longer (Readceras rebellion). So I guess that if Waidwen was still alive (not matter if he is in avatar condition or isn't), he would be taken to animancers' secret research or something similar happened to him or he would find a way to hide (he hasn't returned to Readceras in that case).

Edited by White Phoenix

I'm sticking to my pet theory that Eothas have been split into the twin gods of Retribution and Mercy. Some assembly required indeed. :p

Sounds like Anders from DA2 to me. 

Sounds like Anders from DA2 to me. 

Definitely strikes me as Anders-esque as well! And while this might be off-topic a little bit, but what is this 'collector's book' people keep speaking of? I've become quite enamored with the lore, and would love to learn more - the wiki is pretty sparse right now.