[Bug] Can't take Captain Esmar prisoner

drumther

Question

During the quest "At the Mercy of the Tribes" you come across a conflict between the Fangs and a group of Dyrwoodan scouts commanded by Mercenary Captain Esmar.

Captain Esmar is one of the guys you can take prisoner to your Stronghold. This happen only if you convice the Fang tribe to let the scouts go. They will only agree to let them go free if you punish Captain Esmar.

What did I do?

- I talked with both of them. Captain Esmar wanted me to clear a route for them to scape. The Fangs wanted me to get rid of the other guys.

- I didn't have enough Twin Elms reputation to convice the fangs. So, I just continued to explore the zone.

- Accidentally, I came accross a pack of wolf-like beasts which I killed.

- Quest update came up saying I've cleared the way. Now I can talk to Captain Esmar and tell him the way is clear.

- Well, I didn't. I've completed "Hunter, Brother".

- Now with enough Twin Elms reputations, conviced the Fangs to let the scouts free. They want their captain to pay for his deeds.

What happened?

- I go and talk to Captain Esmar

- There's no speech line to tell him about this. Is either "I've cleared the northen woods" or "[Attack] I've decided to help the Glanfathans".

- If I choose to attack him, Captain Esmar does not beg for his life letting me hold him prisoner (he just dies) and I get a "Quest Failed" log.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Edit: You can download the saved game from here.

Edited by drumther

11 answers to this question

I've implemented a solution for this in the upcoming patch (2.03). It's now being tested:

- As long as Cwineth is still alive, it's now possible to take Esmar prisoner even if you've already cleared the way for the expedition by dealing with the stelgaer that block the escape route at the northern edge of the Northweald.

Thanks for the post and the save game data - much appreciated!

Once you've cleared a way for Esmar then he's not so kindly going to give his freedom for the sake of his men unless he felt that something else prevented their escape (e.g. if you had become a new threat).

Still, I'll take a look at this and post an update.

Jorge

Once you've cleared a way for Esmar then he's not so kindly going to give his freedom for the sake of his men unless he felt that something else prevented their escape (e.g. if you had become a new threat).

Jorge

Thanks for you reply!

Well, I was a threat myself when I killed, however this turns out in failing the quest eventhough I did what the Fangs wanted (ignoring the fact that he won't beg for his life after I do so). Furthermore, Captain Esmar needs to be notified that the path is clear, which I did not :/

I had similar problem - it is one of bugged quests I could not complete - I tried all possible combinations (killing either party, taking him prisoner, convincing him to give himself up, allow him to flee) and it all ended with small cutscene and quest left in unfinished state. There is bug with this quest.

I also have a somewhat similar problem. I said i would talk with the captain, which I did, and took him as a prisoner for my castle. I went back south to talk to fangs guy as per journal and they have all gone. 

I would upload my save but its 8 times the limit it allows me.

Jorge

Well, he doesn't actually know the stelgaer are dead unless you tell him.

Same problem here. I didn't tell him about path so he shouldn't act like it is clear and should surrender with persuasion check. It would be illogical otherwise and kinda unfair. Coming from north shouldn't mess up the quest.

Upon entering the area I went from the bottom of the map to the top and then from left to right so I encountered the pack of Staelgar first, which I originally thought was bugged because you can kill the left half of the pack and remain in combat without seeing the right half of the pack. Anyway, I kept going and cleared the rest of the pack and then went south and encountered Captain Esmar's group first. Realizing I had some decision to make I told them to sit tight and explored the rest of the map and encountered the Fangs. I had enough reputation with Twin Elms to go for an alternative solution but didn't have the dialogue option to take the captain prisoner once I revisited his camp. It was either let him know the path was clear or kill his group. Interestingly enough, I have a save file prior to interacting with either group but after clearing the Staelgars - if I just go to the quest giver hiding in the bushes w/o interacting with Captain Esmar's group or the Fangs she just says, "You did it!" and proceeds to reward me since the pack of Staelgar's has already been cleared and both groups disappear since the quest is resolved.

Hey guys/gals,

Once you clear out the stalgaers, it seems you are no longer able to take Captain Esmar prisoner. Your main character has to have Resolve 17 or Twin Elms rep. 3 in order to take Captain Esmar prisoner. He doesn't give up just before dying like the other capturable NPC's. You capture him through dialogue only. That being said, I've added an issue to the database about the dialogue node to capture him disappearing after killing the stalgaer.

• Like 1