If PoE was made using Skyrim's engine...

If PoE used Skyrim's engine you will need to install 1TB of mods before the game is even playable.

Don't get me wrong; Skyrim is a great game, but the vanilla version is horrible.

Cheers to diversity. Why should I take offense at that even though I enjoyed Skyrim vanilla on consoles? 

The one thing from Skyrim I would love to see in the next POE game is the Radiant quests system, which, imo Skyrim doesn't get nearly enough credit for!...A faction with quests like that in POE would have been great. In fact, when I entered the Expedition Hall and they started talking about the expeditions they do, I was kind of expecting something similar tbh.

Skyrim's engine would allow heavy modding which is a huge plus.

Having trouble with the games combat on POTD, Trial of Iron?

- Hurtin bomb droppin MONK - [MONK BUILD] - [CLICK HERE]

- Think Rangers suck? You're wrong - [RANGER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

- Fighter Heavy Tank - [FIGHTER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

Despite what I may post, I'm a huge fan of Pillars of Eternity, it's one of my favorite RPG's.

Anita Sarkeesian keeps Bioware's balls in a jar on her shelf.

I don't have many good things to comment about Bioware post KotoR. Let's just leave it at that. Read: didn't like DA and ME series. I did thoroughly enjoy New Vegas though. 

...how could you?! 

Joking...I understand if you don't...especially ME (although to be fair it was a very different game - especially 2&3). Personally I liked Jade Empire and dream they will do JE2....

Probably one of the most underrated action RPGs that were ever made . I just love moving around killing mobs using DBZ like techniques and then turning into a giant golem kicking the crap out of everything.

I waited for someone to purpose turning this game into a 3D Action RPG like SKYRIM ,it was inevitable ,and while it would have  been cool if someone did make a POE mode using SKYRIMs' engine ,there are many 3D games out there ,lets keep this series true to its' CRPG roots righ?

Edited by barakav

troll.gifseatroll.gificetroll.giftroll.gif

An ex-biophysicist but currently Studying Schwarzschild singularities' black holes' Hawking radiation using LAZORS and hypersonic sound wave models.

My main objective is to use my results to take over the world!

The quality of the writing would suddenly plummet and there'd be a lot of people asking you to go to a random cave to retrieve their family's sword.

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

"Guys, we did it! It's been fifteen years, but we finally helped kickstart a beautiful isometric cRPG with hand-painted 2(.5)D backgrounds! We're so glad, because there are so many 3D games and first person games out there, but not many of this kind-"

"OK that's cool, but can we make it just like Skyrim next time"

• Like 7

"Guys, we did it! It's been fifteen years, but we finally helped kickstart a beautiful isometric cRPG with hand-painted 2(.5)D backgrounds! We're so glad, because there are so many 3D games and first person games out there, but not many of this kind-"

"OK that's cool, but can we make it just like Skyrim next time"

This sums up what I have seen on these forums in every thread calling for a new engine. There have been a few. How about we let this game be what it was pitched to be, and let the future games follow up on that vision? If Obsidian's next kickstarter is for a 3D action RPG you won't see me on that forum section calling for it to be a isometric 2d RTwP RPG. So, how about we leave this game alone? It is what it is.

Any really good looking fireballs? Like FF 7's Bahamut CG level of good looking. Spell effects have really been underwhelming so far. I think the last game that did Meteor right was Kingdoms of Amalur. But that's all WoW like visuals. I'm looking at more realistic ones. Witcher 2 has some awesome background graphics and lovely models, but I'm not so sure I have fond memories of its spell animations? 

Skyrim's dragons were lively. If only Destruction magics was coded right. Stun-locking with low damage fire crackers...pfft. I want to bring a dragon to its knees with my fireballs! 

edit: Dragon's Domga's dragons and chimera were really well animated too. Too bad the town's graphics and characters look bland and horribly superficial, like dolls talking and walking. 

Maybe try Lichdom:Battlemage? I dont know if thats what your looking for, but it seemed like a game thats literally all about the spells last time I looked into it...

Also, I thought it would be great to have party-based Skyrim, although it wouldve ended up more like KotoR, ME, or DA:O rather than BG or IWD, so Im pretty happy they went with the IE style. Plus theres DA:I and the Witcher for that open world stuff.

I agree that exploring this sort of setting in first person could be cool.

However Skyrim's engine is garbage. Really, really garbage. It just makes everything clunky feeling, movement and combat just feel bad in that engine. Even when other developers, including Obsidian, used it.

Also you can lose a lot of the dark/gritty feeling when you have to look at 3D graphics, even the good ones. Isometric pulls off a certain aesthetic that's rare to find in 3D. There's an element of mystery in not looking at awkward faces poorly mouthing words at you, and so on. Text and a more distant view allows for more imagination to fill in the blanks with something more elegant than 3D computer graphics.

Edited by Odd Hermit

Actually, being able to explore a world in first person is actually a cool idea, buuuut I am not sure I would want bethesdas engine doing it.  Bethesda has been using the same exact engine for years....correction...decades, instead of spending time creating a new one from scratch, they just keep patching up their old one so it is just more prettier, but it does not solve the horrible underlying issues infesting it.  Going on a bit of a tangent, bethesda makes pretty worlds, but that is it and that is all they focus on.  The combat is horrible, the NPC's are just walking sign posts with no personality, the missions are heavily on rails, the stories are uninspiring, the world is soulless and borring.  

Their older games morrowind was pretty good, but that is before they gave their souls away to consoles.  The only game that actually made me feel I was in a real RPG setting in first person was the awesome Vampire the masquerade Bloodlines by Troika.   Something like that would be good.  The only real issue with First Person games is party management, especially during combat.  The best would be something like vats, but also being able to switch to third person standard PRG controls also.

Hold your pitchforks! 2D rules! 

In all seriousness, at times I'm reminded of wandering in Oblivion. Justin Bell was credited as the composer yes? His tracks remind me of Jeremy Soule's style. When I was strolling through Defiance Bay, I felt like I was walking through Imperial City. Rushing through Magran's Fork and Black Meadow are also reminiscent of wilderness treks in Oblivion/Skyrim. 

Still turn based tactical combat won't work in a Fallout-esque context. VATS to cast Fan of Flames and Blizzard? Chokepoints in an open world? Even the dungeons of Skyrim don't have much tight corridors if memory serves.... But solo stealth would work. And at least dps magics have the right numbers in PoE. 

Ah one can dream. Ok, rant over. The 2D defense force can get to work now. 

"So? Go back and play Skyrim!"

"This is for IE fans, if you want 3D go play DAO or Witcher 2!"

"Meh, I'll gladly take polished pre-rendered backgrounds over buggy 3D crap anyday!"

I'd hate it. "Realism" (and this becomes virtually impossible in FPP) ruins RPGs, which rely on a certain level on abstraction in order to deliver wealth of options, actions, descriptions, avoid immersion-breaking, etc.

Edited by Tychoxi

Well it be really awesome if PoE has another sub-genre ala Skyrim but get real that not gonna happened. This is no Star Citizen unless it gets funded by big publishers like EA, Ubisoft, Sony, Microsoft... Err.. please No. Seriously those are cancer to industry.

I agree that exploring this sort of setting in first person could be cool.

However Skyrim's engine is garbage. Really, really garbage. It just makes everything clunky feeling, movement and combat just feel bad in that engine. Even when other developers, including Obsidian, used it.

Also you can lose a lot of the dark/gritty feeling when you have to look at 3D graphics, even the good ones. Isometric pulls off a certain aesthetic that's rare to find in 3D. There's an element of mystery in not looking at awkward faces poorly mouthing words at you, and so on. Text and a more distant view allows for more imagination to fill in the blanks with something more elegant than 3D computer graphics.

you know for all thing things the elder scrolls series does well its always baffled me that not one of them can find a way to do combat that's not clunky and often down right bad lol

First, it has nothing to do with 2d/3d, it's more a matter of which perspective you prefer. I just love the isometric view, it's so much better suited for tactical combat, the latest Dragon Age made this very obvious. Dragon Age: Origins or Divinity: Original Sin on the other hand were proofs, that 3d graphics also work with isometric view, even though I prefer Pillars more detailed backgrounds, 3d graphics tend to look way more comic like, the details are simply not good enough with our current tech.

Oh and I enjoy Elder Scrolls games for what they are, immersive exploring action adventures ;)

Skyrim is the perfect example of an Immersive, exploration simulator. That is its main feature. Especially if you add in 100+ mods to improve the graphics and environments.

I think i've spent more time finding and installing mods than actually playing the game. XD

You can't make an omelette without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others. ~Tarquin

:cat:

The only thing I'd like to be in PoE from Skyrim is the art direction for their architecture. Buildings in PoE are a little generic, whereas in Skyrim I could tell if they belonged to the Nords, Breton, and other culture.

Otherwise 2D all the way.

Really?  I'd say the opposite is true.  I found Skyrim's aesthetics horribly bland and boring, while I find PoE aesthetics enthralling.

Edited by Atheosis

There's no counter-argument here about how clunky Bethesda's engines are. I'm not necessarily saying I want fantasy games to be made using Beth's engine alone (i'm open to any competent engine - feel free to use Bioshock!), just wondering why the majority of fantasy games thus far haven't been able to make that full transition to combine good graphics (DragonAge fails here), gameplay (Witcher fails here) and story (both DragonAge and Witcher fail here) in one. 

Like I mentioned earlier, I think the only one good 3D RPG is a science fiction entry. But the KotoR series didn't have a lot of razzle and dazzle in them. Lightsabers would qualify, but I don't have my fireballs. 

I think the only group that's consistently keeping up with advances in technology are the composers.

As for isometric games, they're making a nice comeback. Shadowrun has 2 games released recently and SR: Hong Kong is in the works? Wasteland 2 and the upcoming Torment sequel will cater nicely to fans of isometric 2D style games. 

And to address the Fallout comment? I was thinking VATS. I mean using VATS as a method of pausing in combat to give tactical commands in a 3D game won't work, because huge open environments won't give the player much doorways to use. The entire isometric landscape will change to one of a MMO where aggro control abilities dominate strategies. Well you could pause, place a tank in a doorway and switch characters to your 3 casters...