Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Multiclass

Multiclass

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

Poll: Multiclass (134 member(s) have cast votes)

Multiclass?

1. Yes (30 votes [22.39%])

Percentage of vote: 22.39%

2. no (91 votes [67.91%])

Percentage of vote: 67.91%

3. I hope its in the expantion. (13 votes [9.70%])

Percentage of vote: 9.70%

Vote Guests cannot vote

anameforobsidian

anameforobsidian

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1171 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

There's three things against multi-classing without considering balance:

1.  The need for it is far less pressing since the system is far less restrictive than D&D.  A big reason to take other classes in D&D is to allow access to new equipment and feats.  That's not really an issue here.

2.  The game has so many class specific resources that it would clutter the interface and make it hard to read.  A monk/cipher alone would have to watch wounds+focus+health+endurance.

3.  Since the classes have so many unique mechanics, getting them all to interact in a sensible way would be extremely difficult.  Do spells proc carnage?  Can fighter/rogues backstab with bladesweep?  Does a druid/cipher build focus in beast mode?  Do wounds go invisible when a monk/barb rages?

Edited by anameforobsidian, 07 April 2015 - 03:13 PM.

Mungri

Mungri

The Lord God of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 830 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

One huge reason for multiclassing a wizard in BG2 was either so that they could use better weapons (Fighter / Mage) or so that they could handle traps and locks (Thief / Mage).

The way that PoE is designed, you do not need to multiclass for those purposes. You can use any weapon or armour on your wizard, and you can give them mechanics. They even start with a bonus to mechanics! How useful.

Irrevenant

Irrevenant

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 41 posts
2.  The game has so many class specific resources that it would clutter the interface and make it hard to read.  A monk/cipher alone would have to watch wounds+focus+health+endurance.

The way I see it, a Monk/Cipher would just have one or the other, not both. Most likely just focus.

sunshinex3

sunshinex3

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 6 posts

In a single player game balance is up to you, if you want to strickly stick to single classes then do so.

But since the option is given to us in earlier games i feel as if it should be in this one. Also maybe it was the designer who were a bit lazy and left it out.

(ps obv cant have mage and barbaraian combo)

Legenden

Legenden

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 1 posts

I do miss dual / multi class but I can live without it if the game is good.

However, I do wish to see more of different type of dual class without limitations per se. Rather,  it's an intergration of classes.

Exampes:

Fighter / Mage. Pure melee fighter but can enchant weapons with elemental damage to adjust his or her damage type against certain enemies that has protection. This rather than relying on specific gear you need to hunt for and swap around constantly.

Cleric / Hunter. Arrows that fires can explode on impact healing friendly (not just party members) in certain radius range.

Paladin: No dual classes. The one class that's always been sacred to me and would never change. :)

PhantomEidolon

PhantomEidolon

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 19 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

One huge reason for multiclassing a wizard in BG2 was either so that they could use better weapons (Fighter / Mage) or so that they could handle traps and locks (Thief / Mage).

The way that PoE is designed, you do not need to multiclass for those purposes. You can use any weapon or armour on your wizard, and you can give them mechanics. They even start with a bonus to mechanics! How useful.

No love for priest/mage or druid/mage multiclassing?

I love playing pure casters and the concept of mixing arcane/divine casting. Mystic Theurge and True necromancer was two of my favourite prestige classes in D&D.

Lady Evenstar

Lady Evenstar

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 297 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

No, thank you. I'd much rather they enrich the talent pools of the classes we already have. There are already numerous talents not tied to a specific class which allow us flexibility in developing our characters. I don't think it's needed. I don't think the system is suited to multi-classing.  And I definitely don't want to hear about how the game isn't hard enough using someone's broken multi-class build. 

Starthief

Starthief

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 50 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Ugh no.

A lot of classes have very good front-loaded abilities -- and some classes don't really have much else. 

There'd be no reason that every fighter, paladin, and cipher wouldn't have a level of chanter.  And no reason to ever roll a pure chanter.

There'd be no reason that every rogue and monk wouldn't have a level of barbarian, and not much reason to roll a pure barbarian.

Wizards, priests and druids can stay pure for spell spamming -- or they can pick up a cipher level to start spamming earlier while still keeping their versatility, and a barbarian level so their AOE spells become mega-AOE with carnage...

(Rangers... I'm leaving them out, but I already don't believe there's a reason to use them.  A chanter-barbarian-ranger would be a big step up of course.)

It's just not a good idea with the way PoE is designed.

ruzen

ruzen

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 271 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Multiclass magic can f***up the lore so hard that PoE's rating could rise to Mature

Galaen

Galaen

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 33 posts

I'm against multi-classing in PoE. The equipment/skill restrictions placed on character classes in other games are not here and PoE just isn't balanced for it in it's current state. If everyone could mult-class fighter with any other spell-casting class then that's all anyone would play. Line up 6 fighter/mages, wait for them to engage everything and then have them all cast cone AoE's and move on to the next group. There's a reason why other games have FoTM builds. Constantly having to rebalance abilities and synergies is a heavy task.

Luckmann

Luckmann

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3497 posts
Not only do I not think it's necessary, but I also feel that it would damage the class flavours. Classes should be diverse in their own right, and I question how multi-classing would even work within the current system.

Multiclass magic can f***up the lore so hard that PoE's rating could rise to Mature

But.. the rating is already Mature.

Edited by Luckmann, 16 April 2015 - 07:27 AM.

JerseyP

JerseyP

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 21 posts

I thought about this. It wouldn't work for certain classes, and for others it would.

It would work if fighter, rogue, wizard, and priest were able to multiclass with eachother. It would also fit with the lore as these classes are all the least specific as far as character background.

Some other combinations could work, maybe ranger/druid.

Starting health/deflection/accuracy would be the average between the two. You start with the class ability of one of the classes. At level two you gain a level in your other class, gaining their class ability. Each level thereafter you alternate. Health/endurance increase as per the current level you are gaining. Starting skill distribution is your choice of any possible skills open to either class, but not two in any one skill. Experience table stays the same.

Basically, it would work out just fine if the multiclass options were limited. I'm all for it under these circumstances.

Edited by JerseyP, 16 April 2015 - 07:34 AM.

Mlatimudan

Mlatimudan

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 64 posts

Multipass++_6d397a867d206bab078273498a7b

Multiclass

• Starthief likes this

Ardan Reddy

Ardan Reddy

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 45 posts

There'll probably be a multi-class mod before any expansion see the light of day.

Personally, I like defined classes and wouldn't multiclass, but to each their own and the more options available to players, the better. Extends the longevity and keeps things interesting.

Galaen

Galaen

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 33 posts

*Corbin Dallas voice* "We know it's a multiclass"

• Mlatimudan likes this

ruzen

ruzen

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 271 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

But.. the rating is already Mature.

wow I'm suprised. I guess It could rise to Adult Only but joke ruined allready so ... ;(  

gkathellar

gkathellar

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2007 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I think the best way to do multiclassing in PoE's context would be a lot like 4E - do it through talents. Have a single gateway talent for each class, of which a character could only take one, allowing limited access to the abilities from other classes.

(And then allow characters to dual-wield wands, so that I can build a delicious dual-wand monk with Blast.)

• Alweth likes this

scrotiemcb

scrotiemcb

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 253 posts
I like single-classing systems, like PoE.

I like classless systems, like Divinity OS.

I think multiclass systems are horrible. They basically combine the worst of both worlds.

And yes, I'm hating on D&D.

Sabin Stargem

Sabin Stargem

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 119 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I would prefer it to be two styles:  "Standard" classes which have limited selections at level up, and an "Omni" class that allows for mix and match.   The fixed classes exist for the purpose of allowing the typical player to have a good selection of abilities and talents that blend well together.  Omni Class allows you to customize at the peril of creating an ineffective character.  Obsidian can focus on only balancing the standard classes - anyone working with an Omni Class character are intending to break the game anyways.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Multiclass

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users