Multiclass  

134 members have voted

1. 1. Multiclass?

• Yes
    • no
    • I hope its in the expantion.

I infinitely prefer Multi-Classes to Prestige Classes.

I want total freedom to make my Character as I choose fit, not railroaded into something that someone else dictated for me.

Why can't my Warrior cast spells (not from scrolls)?  And so on.

Why can't my X do Chants?

Why can't X attack with bare fists ala Monk?

Why can't X do psionic abilities ala Cipher?

Druid, Priest, etc.

Oh, and why can't my Wizard have a familiar?  Would have liked that.  And Druids a Companion like Rangers?

Don't you all realize that this system is a lot like D&D (the first version) in respects to Class? I thought we left that idea behind ages ago.  It is limiting and just...gah.

• Like 1

Love multi-classing and dual classing with a passion.

Why settle for the same old bland classes? Multi and Dual classing allowed you to create entirely new classes through interesting combinations. Naturally it had it's disadvantages too, like taking a lot longer to get higher level spells and abilities, but now-a-days no more games do Multi or Dual classing.... it's so sad.

Look at Guild Wars 2 for example, they got rid of their fun as hell dual classing in it, made the game bland as hell IMO. Made the game so cookie cutter it had no replay value.

It could be done in Pillars, you'd just need to balance it correctly and I think it's just not done now-a-days because people are too lazy to bother trying to balance it. Lazy bums.

---

Edited by Nokturnal Lex
  • Like 1

I infinitely prefer Multi-Classes to Prestige Classes.

I want total freedom to make my Character as I choose fit, not railroaded into something that someone else dictated for me.

Why can't my Warrior cast spells (not from scrolls)? And so on.

Why can't my X do Chants?

Why can't X attack with bare fists ala Monk?

Why can't X do psionic abilities ala Cipher?

Druid, Priest, etc.

Oh, and why can't my Wizard have a familiar? Would have liked that. And Druids a Companion like Rangers?

Don't you all realize that this system is a lot like D&D (the first version) in respects to Class? I thought we left that idea behind ages ago. It is limiting and just...gah.

All those limitations you complain about are pretty much the main point of having a class-based system. It's a feature, not bug.

Of course there's nothing wrong with preferring a classless system... but which one you choose fundamentally changes the flavor of the game. For a BG inspired game, I like the direction they went.

Edited by Mk1

Multiclass was interesting in a dull, inflexible system like D&D. In PoE's system, there's no need for it. There's great flexibility when it comes to weapon and armor choice. I don't know about Wizards, but Priests and Druids don't have to memorize a specific spell. You get a wide selection right away, and don't have to prepare before resting. Also, D&D didn't have talents for a long time. PoE starts with talents.

I have two druids in my party -  PC and Hiravius. They don't feel boring and repetitive. One is more of a caster, the other a savage melee machine with some artillery abilities.

Multi-classing is a fundamentally problematic idea in anything except a system that's built around it from the ground up and uses a small number of simple but customizable base classes.

The moment you start introducing "hybrid" classes - like a Bard in original D&D, or a class like the Magus in Pathfinder, or a Chanter or Cipher in PoE, balanced multi-classing basically becomes a pipe dream.

You can throw it in and ignore the consequences, like all recent D&D games have done, and your game will probably be fine as long as the core mechanics and classes are sound, but it doesn't make it a good idea as far as game design goes.

There's three things against multi-classing without considering balance:

1.  The need for it is far less pressing since the system is far less restrictive than D&D.  A big reason to take other classes in D&D is to allow access to new equipment and feats.  That's not really an issue here.

2.  The game has so many class specific resources that it would clutter the interface and make it hard to read.  A monk/cipher alone would have to watch wounds+focus+health+endurance.

3.  Since the classes have so many unique mechanics, getting them all to interact in a sensible way would be extremely difficult.  Do spells proc carnage?  Can fighter/rogues backstab with bladesweep?  Does a druid/cipher build focus in beast mode?  Do wounds go invisible when a monk/barb rages?

Edited by anameforobsidian

One huge reason for multiclassing a wizard in BG2 was either so that they could use better weapons (Fighter / Mage) or so that they could handle traps and locks (Thief / Mage).

The way that PoE is designed, you do not need to multiclass for those purposes. You can use any weapon or armour on your wizard, and you can give them mechanics. They even start with a bonus to mechanics! How useful.

2.  The game has so many class specific resources that it would clutter the interface and make it hard to read.  A monk/cipher alone would have to watch wounds+focus+health+endurance.

The way I see it, a Monk/Cipher would just have one or the other, not both. Most likely just focus.

"Heh heh. Dirt... Nap... Dirt nap!"

In a single player game balance is up to you, if you want to strickly stick to single classes then do so.

But since the option is given to us in earlier games i feel as if it should be in this one. Also maybe it was the designer who were a bit lazy and left it out.

(ps obv cant have mage and barbaraian combo)

• 2 weeks later...

I do miss dual / multi class but I can live without it if the game is good.

However, I do wish to see more of different type of dual class without limitations per se. Rather,  it's an intergration of classes.

Exampes:

Fighter / Mage. Pure melee fighter but can enchant weapons with elemental damage to adjust his or her damage type against certain enemies that has protection. This rather than relying on specific gear you need to hunt for and swap around constantly.

Cleric / Hunter. Arrows that fires can explode on impact healing friendly (not just party members) in certain radius range.

Paladin: No dual classes. The one class that's always been sacred to me and would never change. :)

One huge reason for multiclassing a wizard in BG2 was either so that they could use better weapons (Fighter / Mage) or so that they could handle traps and locks (Thief / Mage).

The way that PoE is designed, you do not need to multiclass for those purposes. You can use any weapon or armour on your wizard, and you can give them mechanics. They even start with a bonus to mechanics! How useful.

No love for priest/mage or druid/mage multiclassing?

I love playing pure casters and the concept of mixing arcane/divine casting. Mystic Theurge and True necromancer was two of my favourite prestige classes in D&D.

You can't make an omelette without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others. ~Tarquin

:cat:

No, thank you. I'd much rather they enrich the talent pools of the classes we already have. There are already numerous talents not tied to a specific class which allow us flexibility in developing our characters. I don't think it's needed. I don't think the system is suited to multi-classing.  And I definitely don't want to hear about how the game isn't hard enough using someone's broken multi-class build. 

Ugh no.

A lot of classes have very good front-loaded abilities -- and some classes don't really have much else. 

There'd be no reason that every fighter, paladin, and cipher wouldn't have a level of chanter.  And no reason to ever roll a pure chanter.

There'd be no reason that every rogue and monk wouldn't have a level of barbarian, and not much reason to roll a pure barbarian.

Wizards, priests and druids can stay pure for spell spamming -- or they can pick up a cipher level to start spamming earlier while still keeping their versatility, and a barbarian level so their AOE spells become mega-AOE with carnage...

(Rangers... I'm leaving them out, but I already don't believe there's a reason to use them.  A chanter-barbarian-ranger would be a big step up of course.)

It's just not a good idea with the way PoE is designed.

I'm against multi-classing in PoE. The equipment/skill restrictions placed on character classes in other games are not here and PoE just isn't balanced for it in it's current state. If everyone could mult-class fighter with any other spell-casting class then that's all anyone would play. Line up 6 fighter/mages, wait for them to engage everything and then have them all cast cone AoE's and move on to the next group. There's a reason why other games have FoTM builds. Constantly having to rebalance abilities and synergies is a heavy task.