Companion swap bugs

CornBreadtm

Question

Inventory wipe bug:

Whenever I place companions in the stronghold even if its only for a moment to update there gear everything in their quick slots and inventory gets wiped!

I didn't notice till about 30 minutes ago, luckily I only lost a few potions and Aloths back up books. Had to roll back an hour because I lost a bunch of uniques I was saving on Kana.

Chant lock bug:

Kana keeps using the same chant after swapping him in and out of the party. If I call his chant "asdahdado" he will only use a chant with the same name on combat start. I'd have to manual trigger his chants if I want to use some other named chant. That pretty much makes him useless do to the amount of micro managing that is required to do that.

I had this same problem with the chants before the 103 patch. Also if you fill up all of the slots with chants, when you pull him out of the strong hold he'll have 6 chant slots 2 being dups.

Resource rings:

If you give a companion spell resource rings "+1 lvl 1 spell" and the like and place them in the stronghold. They will get +1 over and over till you pull them out with a large number of charges (I have about 24 lvl 2 spells now on Aloth (Ironicly it balances him out with cyphers but that's another problem)). The ring had +1 for lvl 4 spells and when I leveled he started with 14 instead of 2.

There are probably some more but I haven't been swaping party members much since it's so buggy and I actually want to play! @.@

I'd leave a save file but site says it's too big...

8 answers to this question

I just had this happen to Durance and Kana, but not Aloth.

The only difference I can think of is that I swapped Aloth out while I was in Defiance Bay (I picked up Pallegina and wanted to get to the embassy with her right away and proceeded to do a couple quests while I was at it), but Durance and Kana were swapped out while in Brighthollow and immediately swapped back into the party.

I've experienced the same companion inventory wipe bug, this time in Gilded Vale. It appears to happen, as others have noted, when swapping party members out and then directly back into the party.

I'm attaching three saves to this post -

1 - Entering Black Hound Inn, Full Party

2 - Removed Aloth and Grieving Mother from Party

3 - Restored Aloth and Grieving Mother to Party

At Save No.3, both Aloth and Grieving Mother only possess the items they have equipped - quickslot and inventory have been cleared for them. The bug itself appears to be easy to reproduce once you encounter it, and I can confirm that it exists in 1.03 and the current 1.04 beta patch.

• Like 1

Okay, quick update - it seems that, short of quest progression, it doesn't matter if I travel about, close and open the game, or both in between any of the above steps. Aloth and Grieving Mother consistently lose their gear when I swap them out in the Black Hound Inn, at least at this time.

EDIT - going to Caed Nua, however, allows me to swap characters to my heart's content again, so I'm starting to wonder if this issue doesn't pop up in specific locations on and off. The previous time it happened, it was definitely after a party swap in Caed Nua.

Edited by Roman K

Figured out what's triggering the bug: swapping characters out in maps they're supposed to appear in after leaving the party.

If you swap a story companion out while in the Black Hound Inn or second floor of Brighthollow it will wipe their inventory and quick items, but it will not do this for custom companions; conversely if you swap out custom companions while in the Stronghold Barracks it will wipe their inventory and quick items, but story companions swapped out in this map won't be bugged.

Swapping characters out anywhere else in the world - in other inns, the expedition hall in Copperlane, any other map in the Stronghold, etc. will not trigger the bug for story or custom companions.

So until this gets fixed just avoid swapping out (but you can swap them in) story companions in Black Hound/Brighthollow and custom companions in the Barracks.

Edited by DarthPanda

...hirelings....

Your meaning is clear from context here, but:

Hirelings are the generic premade characters (Skirmish Archer, Vanguard Soldier, etc) that you can hire to staff your stronghold. Adventurers or custom companions are the player-designed party members that you can hire to travel with you.

Not trying to be "the terminology police". I point it out to prevent possible confusion in the future where the distinction might matter. Of course I guess you could call them "stronghold hirelings" and "party hirelings" if you prefer. wink.png

Edited by ddillon

Note that it's not just resource rings that screw up spell cast limits for companions, those Bonus Level X talents also trigger and screw things up.

At least I can mentally keep track of how many spell casts they are actually suppossed to have (i.e. Hiravavawhatever has 13 level 1 spell casts but I know he should only have 5, so I just stop when he gets to 8.)

Edited by thelee

...hirelings....

Your meaning is clear from context here, but:

Hirelings are the generic premade characters (Skirmish Archer, Vanguard Soldier, etc) that you can hire to staff your stronghold. Adventurers or custom companions are the player-designed party members that you can hire to travel with you.

Not trying to be "the terminology police". I point it out to prevent possible confusion in the future where the distinction might matter. Of course I guess you could call them "stronghold hirelings" and "party hirelings" if you prefer. wink.png

Noted and fixed!

In version 1.0.6.0591 -steam, I just hit the inventory clearing bug while swapping / leveling custom companions from within the Keep. Unfortunately, it wiped Kana. Does anyone in this thread know if this is being made a priority? It's super frustrating to lose character data.