1.03 Hotfix: Doors not opening due to Fog of War

You can't really change a few lines and expect an update of equal size in a compiled game.

The game binary file is just 20MB though, so that's no excuse for a 600MB patch.

The reason why patches are so ridiculously big on Steam, is that Steam does not support true incremental patches. I have no idea why they don't implement it - it's not rocket science, in fact the technology has existed for a long time and is used all over the Internet. Steam could probably save a sizeable amount of their server costs if they used it, not to mention increase customer satisfaction through shorter download times.

You can't really change a few lines and expect an update of equal size in a compiled game.

The game binary file is just 20MB though, so that's no excuse for a 600MB patch.

The reason why patches are so ridiculously big on Steam, is that Steam does not support true incremental patches. I have no idea why they don't implement it - it's not rocket science, in fact the technology has existed for a long time and is used all over the Internet. Steam could probably save a sizeable amount of their server costs if they used it, not to mention increase customer satisfaction through shorter download times.

According to another post around here by the devs, Steam downloads things in 1meg blocks and thus the patches blow up to be way bigger than they need to be when they upload them to steam.

That's all it is.

As far as I know that isn't how it works.

Generally speaking the version on steam is always the latest version in a single package file. The single package file is downloaded onto the computer and unpacked. 

When an update occurs steam uses its Delta Patch Algorithm to compare the difference between the Steam Server version and the version on your computer.  It then downloads the updates based on the entire package difference. That probably is where the main issue lies.

http://www.pcgamesn.com/tf2/what-steampipe

I used the iroll20s and NoFog suggestion to open a door which was bugged. The console stated something to the effect of 'Achievements Disabled'. I'm running a GOG version. What does that mean? Am I losing something? I'm playing on Hard with Trial of Iron.

@Arctic: Apparently that is a problem with Steam and Unity (the game engine). The GoG-Patches are much smaller.

the first 1.03 pach with all the fixes didnt change the references from the assets, so its not steam's fault xD

I used the iroll20s and NoFog suggestion to open a door which was bugged. The console stated something to the effect of 'Achievements Disabled'. I'm running a GOG version. What does that mean? Am I losing something? I'm playing on Hard with Trial of Iron.

Achievements are only through Steam's system - they're meta-game rather than in-game (things like "completed game solo" or something - don't know any specific examples as I'm on gog version too - I don't care for 'achievements').

Enabling console cheats disables the achievements.

So no, you're not missing out on anything - you can 'achieve' anything on the gog version - you just don't get a shiny badge on steam to say you did it ;)

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

Thanks for the patches!

It's kind of normal to release patches with so many bugs in the game. No, not normal. Mandatory.

Edited by Luj1

"There once was a loon that twitter

Before he went down the ****ter

In its demise he wasn't missed

Because there were bugs to be fixed."

~ Kaine

Thanks for the patches!

It's kind of normal to release patches with so many bugs in the game. No, not normal. Mandatory.

Either way, I'm glad to see this bug being fixed, so thanks for the hotfix Obsidian original.gif

• Like 1

First, why don't this website has some sort of Steam implementation so I can sign in through Steam?

Second, why are we downloding 600MB for a simple hotfix? I mean this is not even a proper patch it's just a hotfix? Here I was happy that the game got a huge patch, removed bugs, provided some QoL features and then I come here and all my dreams are crushed. Not cool.

First, why don't this website has some sort of Steam implementation so I can sign in through Steam?

Second, why are we downloding 600MB for a simple hotfix? I mean this is not even a proper patch it's just a hotfix? Here I was happy that the game got a huge patch, removed bugs, provided some QoL features and then I come here and all my dreams are crushed. Not cool.

The size of the hotfix is a steam issue - they have some strange way of packaging it.  Nothing Obsidian can do about that, I think.

On gog, the same patch (patch+2 hotfixes) is only about 85MB.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

• 3 weeks later...

The size of the hotfix is a steam issue - they have some strange way of packaging it.  Nothing Obsidian can do about that, I think.

On gog, the same patch (patch+2 hotfixes) is only about 85MB.

I'm not ready to point fingers, because any number of things can go wrong between A and B.. but we have had several games on Steam now where we have changed large data files and executables, and the resulting Steam patch comes in at under 50mb etc. We do have to do an extra step to generate the delta patch, but it's done using Steams provided tools. I've seen some people mention that it's an issue with the way Unity's data formats work, but other Unity based games on Steam don't seem to have this problem.