1.03 Hotfix: Doors not opening due to Fog of War

Hey, everyone. We just put out another hotfix on Steam for an issue where some people were running into doors that wouldn't open after they had been manually closed. It didn't affect many areas in the game, but we wanted to make sure we fixed this in case some people got trapped.

The problem had to do with a bug in the hotfix calculations. It was causing some areas to think they were still under the Fog of War when they weren't.

Please let us know if you see any other problems like this.

This hotfix has been submitted to GOG and Origin, so we hope they will be up in the next day or two.

Thanks!

Brandon

• Like 15

Thanks... I got stuck like this in the Catacombs last night and had to reload the area, nice to know it's fixed. :)

I also ran into a super old bug where a companion was stuck in knockdown after combat ended. Not sure how that crept back in. It was fixed when I reloaded the save.

This is nice and all, but fkin 600MB for that? auyehuaeauehuaeuh

I was planning to play after university, now ill have to wait until after lunch.

You can't really change a few lines and expect an update of equal size in a compiled game. 

If you are dealing with raw source you have a better chance of it though. 

==

On a different note, the fog was so thick it was blocking doors? Crazy stuff.

• Like 2

I just popped on to report a possible bug that might be related. On Endless Paths level 13, there's a hidden door in the northeast of the map. After trying to figure out how to open it, I looked it up. According to the game guide I looked at, there's a circular table/tablet in the center of the room with the hidden door. Pressing down on that is supposed to open the door. However, scouting did not uncover it nor were there any other identifiable triggers on the rest of the map. It occurred to me that this might be a post-patch bug and seeing the hot fix announcement here has me wondering if that's so.

• Like 1

This is nice and all, but fkin 600MB for that? auyehuaeauehuaeuh

I was planning to play after university, now ill have to wait until after lunch.

You can't really change a few lines and expect an update of equal size in a compiled game. 

If you are dealing with raw source you have a better chance of it though. 

==

On a different note, the fog was so thick it was blocking doors? Crazy stuff.

Actually you CAN expect that, GoG patch 1.03 is only 80mb and i think the difference from steam is that steam gives you the whole data while GoG only gives you the difference and patch the game accordingly.

what_can_cb510.png

@phimseto

Well you only can use that circle, when you use the power of Mearwald rod. It is so nice hidden, that you can´t find it, without the hint you get from that.  ;)

Edited by Shorkan

The game binary file is just 20MB though, so that's no excuse for a 600MB patch.

The reason why patches are so ridiculously big on Steam, is that Steam does not support true incremental patches. I have no idea why they don't implement it - it's not rocket science, in fact the technology has existed for a long time and is used all over the Internet. Steam could probably save a sizeable amount of their server costs if they used it, not to mention increase customer satisfaction through shorter download times.

• Like 1

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell

The game binary file is just 20MB though, so that's no excuse for a 600MB patch.

The reason why patches are so ridiculously big on Steam, is that Steam does not support true incremental patches. I have no idea why they don't implement it - it's not rocket science, in fact the technology has existed for a long time and is used all over the Internet. Steam could probably save a sizeable amount of their server costs if they used it, not to mention increase customer satisfaction through shorter download times.

According to another post around here by the devs, Steam downloads things in 1meg blocks and thus the patches blow up to be way bigger than they need to be when they upload them to steam.

That's all it is.

Edited by Xiraiya

Thanks... I got stuck like this in the Catacombs last night and had to reload the area, nice to know it's fixed. :)

I also ran into a super old bug where a companion was stuck in knockdown after combat ended. Not sure how that crept back in. It was fixed when I reloaded the save.

The same thing happened to me. One of my chars was stuck in knockdown even after combat finished. Had to reload.