So I have a Cipher as my main character with base stat over 14. He primarily uses Mental Binding and Mind Blades. He has done over 50% of the damage compared to the rest of the party. 

My party consists of Eder, Pallegina, Durance, Kana, Aloth (who may be switched out for Sagini)

They run up and do....6-9 damage. I take one shot with a pistol and do 42 damage... 

I want to experience the pre-generated companions quests, but they are so far acting like they can't keep up.

I have the strongest equipment I've found on them (all cash going to the fortress because I'm hoping not to buy something expensive and immediately replace it in the next dungeon). 

Fights tend to go REALLY easily or we get crushed because they either can't make it through the 3 tanks or they melt them.

Tanks are in Fine+ armor, best shields, Durance and Pallegina are right up there to heal each other and Eder.

Most weapons are Fine+

Aloth is.... an interesting character, the next highest damage at (2500, compared to my Cipher's 12k overall).

Am I doing something wrong here?

We're level 5 and I'm guessing about or past half way through Defiance Bay side quests. 

Maybe this is just carry over from before the Mind Blades nerf? I'm just not sure if I am doing something wrong or if they are going to catch up. I understand that the pre-generated companions are not optimal, but neither is my main character. I'm playing on Normal. I hear people clearing the Odd Nua dungeon to level 5 at level 5 on higher difficulties, but the level 3 boss fight kicked my teams face in.

Edited by Gwydeon79

Uh, upgrading the fortress should be an afterthought.  
Picking up good magical items (with great 'unique' enchants) is worth it,
because you can upgrade them later with fine-exceptional-superb.

You should also get Vulnerable Attack/Penetrating Shot. 

I figured early fortress would mean faster money, and it has started to pay me back (Keeping security at >2 over prestige)

But I like their quips and stories >_<

And I don't want to use Cheat engine to fix things... don't trust that program.

Edited by Gwydeon79

Yeah, you are playing with the derpy pre-made companions. Fix that, and you'll see a significant change.

Magru, I'm playing my Ranger PC with the exact same group of pre-mades and feel that I'm doing quite well.  I think that it comes down to how you manage your party, its tactics, spell choices, etc.

This is how I manage my battles. 

I have Eder decked out as an uber-defensive tank.  Full plate, uses a large shield, defensive stance (or whatever it's called), sword and shield style, and so forth.  After firing a blast from his blunderbuss at the softest enemy in range, he  switches to his saber and shield, and moves up a little (not a lot) to draw enemies on to him.  I don't expect Eder to be mowing down enemies.  His job is to get enemy melee-ers focused on him because he's really hard to hit wit his great defenses.

I have Durance fire off his Holy Radiance talent to give the party a quick buff, while the rest of the party also targets the same enemy that Eder first hit to try to remove an enemy from the battlefield ASAP.  I keep Pallegine and Durance as my second line tanks, but have them stick with ranged weapons if possible.  If not, I have Durance be the second tank in the fight ... usually, and have him target the same enemy as Eder, because Durance is using a mace that has bonuses for doing this.  I'll move Pallegine into melee if necessary.  I try to keep my Ranger (named .... surprise... Crucis), Kana, and Aloth hanging back blasting away with ranged weapons and spells.

In some tougher battles, I have to hold Durance out of melee because I need him alive to constantly be firing off heal spells.  But those battles aren't that common.

Also, I tend not to have Aloth casting all his spells every chance he gets when I'm in dungeon crawl mode.  I prefer letting my party take the enemies out physically, if it can be done easily, and save Aloth's spells for the tougher battles and tougher enemies, since his spells are on a per-rest basis, not per-encounter.  (If you have a character that has per-encounter abilities, then you can feel free to use them more aggressively.)

Another thing for the OP to consider.  Some of the nice party buffing abilities of Durance, Pallegine, and Kana the chanter have a limited range, so keeping your party relatively close together matters, unless there's a critical reason for doing otherwise.

Eder should be using a Oidhreacht, a stiletto you get from the first level of Od Nua, and the "door shield" you get from the blacksmith quest and should be the first person to be seen by the enemy so that they focus on him. Pallegina should be using a two-hander that fits with her weapon focus. I think Justice is the best you can get at this point, but I could be mistaken.

In general, your party is very defensive orientated. Durance is a priest and they're a very supportive class, so if you're not on hard or PotD he might be very underwhelming overall. Aloth is going to be great for you in boss fights / long encounters / whenever you decide to use his spells, so I wouldn't worry much about him. However, Pallegina is a paladin, and they don't have much raw DPS potential. That's not to say she isn't good! Just, you know, more supportive. The same goes with Kana.

You might consider replacing Durance, Kana, or Pallegina with Sagani, Hiravias, or Grieving Mother.

Three tanks? Seems a bit much for Normal. But as long as you have Durance on the front line, have him spray some guilt-free Fan of Flames scrolls into troublesome packs. His Might and Intellect will give them extra punch.

Kana and Durance make decent riflemen too; Durance can take a Priest ability for +10 Arq. Accuracy.

Exoduss, on 14 Apr 2015 - 11:11 AM, said: 

also secret about hardmode with 6 man party is :  its a faceroll most of the fights you will Auto Attack mobs while lighting your spliff

Durance is my 3rd place tank usually grabbing a straggler I'm following similar tactics to what has been provided above. 

The issue isn't that we can't make it. I'm playing on normal which means things are a lot easier overall I'm guessing.

I have just been concerned that as to why my Cipher is SO far ahead in terms of damage and if I should worry about that. 

I have just been concerned that as to why my Cipher is SO far ahead in terms of damage and if I should worry about that. 

No. You just accidentally picked the game's best-at-everything class for your main. Including best at damage. My tanky two-hander Eder is blowing the rest of my party out for DPS at 50k total, while my "DPS" Rogue is back at 35k. Even Aloth is at 35 for pete's sake.

• Like 1

Exoduss, on 14 Apr 2015 - 11:11 AM, said: 

also secret about hardmode with 6 man party is :  its a faceroll most of the fights you will Auto Attack mobs while lighting your spliff

1. Put guns/arb + Penetrating shots on everyone who isn't melee. Use the arrow ranged chant on Kana. (Which is still good)

2. Replace Pallegina with a   Retaliation Barb. He'll probably be solo'ing everything if you send him in first (With Eder slightly behind, as backup + flood control).