Anyone have a class they prefer when using 2 handed weapons?

I have a Monk and I am not really thrilled with his Fist dmg. I had to put him into a breastplate when facing the last encounter in Roderics hold. Fists vrs Plate = fail. So...

I am changing my Monk from a Bruce Li to an Armoured Sir Gawain.  Put him in some medium armor (Breastplate) and I am tinkering with him using 'justice' the sword from that encounter. 

Seems to work. I wish there was a talent or class option to both improve fist base dmg or allow you to put enchantments on them. 

It got me to thinking....

What class do you think is a good 'two hander' for dps? I have read that Two handers are worthless as you get better/optimum dps via 'dual wield'. 

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Barbarians are best for two handed weapons because when you have high might and a two handed weapon (barb can reach enormous might with upgraded frenzy and max starting might) you can bypass DR with ease. This gives barb a huge advantage because your carnage attacks will also be effective since it is large damage per hit. Also the large attack bonus frenzy gives (%33) makes up for the slow attack speed of two handed weapons. So max might/dex some int, go either estocs or two handed swords for weapon focus.

I prefer not doing it at all.  1h shield tank, everybody else goes ranged. 

But if you want to indulge a trap option, fighter for two handed.  Useful class abilities and constant damage bonus (specialization, passive category upgrades [graze->hit, hit->crit]) beat out a slight might bonus on a timer.  

So if you are going to build a class to use a two hander....

I have a 'fine Estoc' now. I may enchant it up some. 

Would you put in in a fine BP or light armor?

Generally speaking, probably medium armor, but armor choice depends a bit more on your party composition. If your 2H char is taking too much damage, use heavier armor. If they aren't taking much, switch to lighter armor for the increased attack speed. See what works best for your party and playstyle. I use medium armor for my barbarian because Eder is my front-line tank but my barbie is the only other melee-er in my party, so he does get attacked a decent amount.

But if you want to indulge a trap option, fighter for two handed.  Useful class abilities and constant damage bonus (specialization, passive category upgrades [graze->hit, hit->crit]) beat out a slight might bonus on a timer.  

You are seriously undervaluing Carnage and Frenzy. 

The aspd multiplier from Frenzy is quite considerable, might is just gravy.

Threatening Presence and other -Fortitude effects combined with Brute Force is also quite nice.  

The Fighter might maybe have better single-target dps (I haven't done the math), but make no mistake, with 2 or more targets in Carnage range, the Barbarian is the king in melee damage. 

• Like 1

Barbarian all the way. Estoc is ludicrously better than the other 2H weapons, so if you want to be optimal use that and Poleaxe. Or just use whatever 2H weapon you feel like using, because they're all viable.

Then go to the forums and call for an Estoc nerf so we can finally use something else. :p

• Like 1

Barbarian all the way. Estoc is ludicrously better than the other 2H weapons, so if you want to be optimal use that and Poleaxe. Or just use whatever 2H weapon you feel like using, because they're all viable.

Then go to the forums and call for an Estoc nerf so we can finally use something else. :p

I like the Estoc on my paladin off tank, but it would be nice if greatswords were a more viable choice.

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer

barbarian for two hand.  Paladins, fighters and chypers can also use them with different levels of sucess.
Priests are also not a bad choice, but depends on your god!  (i think one god give +10 accuracy with one specific 2h Weapons like magran that give +10 to arquebus). 

The only 2h i find " useless " is the GreatSword and only because its secondary dmg is pierce, the same as the stoc, if i want slash i go for the poleaxe.

Extended range have lots of uses and poleaxe crush/slash is also a good combination against some enemys.  

So if you go stock (pierce) + Poleaxe (Crush/slash) should be the normal weapons of choice from anyone going close meele 2H 

Like anyone going extended reach will also have a secondary weapon to counter a high DT, most likely Pike + Staff. 

Morning starts are also very ok if you go for a interrupt build. I  can see a paladin with morning star doing fine, or a warrior.  They both have 1 talent to spend on that +15% interrupt chance and uses for a high perception.   Its also the only build that have a use for greatswords as a secondary weapon. 

And i like that different builds have different uses for 2h weapons.  

Edited by sterrius

Same case for me in most of rpg games two handers just gets sold to merchants 1h + Shield's on tank and rest casters/rangers/rogues

Edited by Exoduss

I think 2-handed is a superior choice for any non-tank, either because of bigger damage per hit, good items or reach option that allows to have more than 2 people on the front at the same time.

Edited by Shadenuat

Another little tip I've found useful with my 2handers is having decent resolve for the concentration, as your recovery time after each swing is going to be relatively long and it only takes longer when youre getting interrupted by enemy attacks.

I have a Monk and I am not really thrilled with his Fist dmg. I had to put him into a breastplate when facing the last encounter in Roderics hold. Fists vrs Plate = fail. So...

I am changing my Monk from a Bruce Li to an Armoured Sir Gawain.  Put him in some medium armor (Breastplate) and I am tinkering with him using 'justice' the sword from that encounter. 

Seems to work. I wish there was a talent or class option to both improve fist base dmg or allow you to put enchantments on them. 

It got me to thinking....

What class do you think is a good 'two hander' for dps? I have read that Two handers are worthless as you get better/optimum dps via 'dual wield'. 

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Try a fighter spec'ed for offensive damage using reach weapons with Damage Reduction 0 armor or light armor.  Fighters don't have to be tanks with high constituion if there's already a tank in the party. I'm enjoying my fighter character a lot.

Edited by luzarius

Having trouble with the games combat on POTD, Trial of Iron?

- Hurtin bomb droppin MONK - [MONK BUILD] - [CLICK HERE]

- Think Rangers suck? You're wrong - [RANGER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

- Fighter Heavy Tank - [FIGHTER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

Despite what I may post, I'm a huge fan of Pillars of Eternity, it's one of my favorite RPG's.

Anita Sarkeesian keeps Bioware's balls in a jar on her shelf.

Estocs are very strong, but Greatswords are more flexible. Two damage types (Slash/Pierce), get an alternate crushing weapon for you second slot and you're set. Plus Tidefall is a monster

Thing is, there is no 2H crushing weapon in the Soldier specialization, forcing you to take another talent. Whereas Estoc partners perfectly with the Poleaxe in Adventurer.

If Estoc were moved to Noble, the problem would be mitigated at least. As is, its stats and positioning in weapon focus talents just makes it the best.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still gonna use Grearswords. But out of stubbornness and role-playing reasons, not because they're better (they aren't).

Estocs are very strong, but Greatswords are more flexible. Two damage types (Slash/Pierce), get an alternate crushing weapon for you second slot and you're set. Plus Tidefall is a monster

Thing is, there is no 2H crushing weapon in the Soldier specialization, forcing you to take another talent. Whereas Estoc partners perfectly with the Poleaxe in Adventurer.

If Estoc were moved to Noble, the problem would be mitigated at least. As is, its stats and positioning in weapon focus talents just makes it the best.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still gonna use Grearswords. But out of stubbornness and role-playing reasons, not because they're better (they aren't).

The thing is unique Poleaxes in the game have awful stats and there are very few of them. The best greatsword in the game gives you leech and it's so good for Barbarian. Estoc=greatswords>any other 2H weapon when you consider the stats on the unique weapons. Which imo is the most important thing when you choose the weapon type.