There's no reason companions to have fixed builds

I fail to see the reasoning here. This characters are in this world, they have their  personality, story, history and based upon that their strength and weaknesses. If you want to min/max you could make up your own party. Thats why this option is there and was backed.

Now asking for story characters to be modified as you like breaks any form of immersion. You are asking to change existing characters in this world to be changed by your means.

I´m pretty sure that won´t happen, and i´m glad it won´t. There is a reason why this chars are what they are, and behind every npcs stands an artists who made them, and there is no need to change them to cater to your playstyle.

There are 8 companions, if you don´t like them. Make your own. And make your own story up for each one...thats the whole point of an RPG isn´t it?

• Like 1

"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, the man who never reads lives one."

Since the game gives you the ability to make your own companions at the inn the mechanism for re-leveling an NPC is there, thus there are not any structural limitations to implementing adjusting the NPCs.

I grabbed the IE mod and will use that to re-level the companions. Eder actually has an extra talent when you get him, when you un-level him he looses the extra one. I can also adjust their stats if I want to. It is just a few console commands. I am especially looking forward to exchanging the worthless +will talent on Durance into the cool Magran sword and arquebus talent.

For me I'd rather adjust the existing companions and play through then make silent superheroes. This also opens up lots of replay scenarios - want to try Durance as a monk or paladin, Eder as a rogue, Aldoth the cipher? The possibilities are endless.

I'd prefer it if there was a checkbox in the options to meet the NPC at level one but the IE mod and console commands suit my needs and desires.

For me I'd rather adjust the existing companions and play through then make silent superheroes. This also opens up lots of replay scenarios - want to try Durance as a monk or paladin, Eder as a rogue, Aldoth the cipher? The possibilities are endless.

Exactly this. Eder is not a rogue, Aloth is not a Cipher, whats the point having them in the party, their banter doesn´t make any sense at that point anymore because they are something else?

I don´t get it.

Don´t get me wrong, mod the hell out of the game i don´t care, THAT is one the reasons CRPG´s stay relevant. But asking the dev for it, like the OP did is beyond my reasoning.

"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, the man who never reads lives one."

Exactly this. Eder is not a rogue, Aloth is not a Cipher, whats the point having them in the party, their banter doesn´t make any sense at that point anymore because they are something else?

I don´t get it.

Don´t get me wrong, mod the hell out of the game i don´t care, THAT is one the reasons CRPG´s stay relevant. But asking the dev for it, like the OP did is beyond my reasoning.

For an official game option I'd be fine with having the NPC class and stats fixed but allow you to pick the talents and skills on level up after level one. Basically this would get you the same effect as rushing through the game in order to collect the NPCs before they waste a talent without ruining the game by rushing through.

You get to pick their talents after they are in your party, why not before as well? If talent picking for the NPC's are so integral to the story then the game should pick all of their talents and skills, both before and after you meet them.

• Like 1

I don´t get it.

For an official game option I'd be fine with having the NPC class and stats fixed but allow you to pick the talents and skills on level up after level one. Basically this would get you the same effect as rushing through the game in order to collect the NPCs before they waste a talent without ruining the game by rushing through.

You get to pick their talents after they are in your party, why not before as well? If talent picking for the NPC's are so integral to the story then the game should pick all of their talents and skills, both before and after you meet them.

I do agree with that, that could be made and wouldn´t break immersion in any way considering they would adept to your cause. I see your point and i agree with it. I´m just against a class change which would make the story companions blank. Totaly against it for story reasons.

The option to basically reskill your story pc´s wouldn´t hurt. But i would limit it to one time. Why? Because the theme of the game are the discions you take.

However, after i´m almost done with the game i don´t even see a reason for this. Naturaly i got GM last, and then you still lvl up which makes it possible to chose a new spell on any lvl anyway, Wizard? through the books, and picking second stats like athletics so they don´t get tired as easily like Hiravias is a matter of one lvl up. Considering that when you interact with npcs only your stats count, i can see no reason for this except to build a decent "rouge" to disarm and find traps.

So..whats the point except of min/max which people will do anyway (inculding myself at one point). Considering how weak the second stats are, and main stats are easily balanced thru items, i don´t see one reasonable point to pick apart the existing lore-companions. Again, if you want to min/max make your own..thats the ****ing point of the system.

Personaly i hope they stay with the chars, not to piss of some people, but to make a statement, "These are our chars, they stay". end of story. This whole "disscusion" is even more stupid when we take into account that you can make your own. Sometimes i think the term RPG means nothing anymore, sorry if i sound bitter, but thats what it seems.

Not to mention that eventually there will be something like shadowkeeper, than all can cheat their way to success and change the existing chars how they want. If the engine allowes, we will see.