Alright Obsidian, there's really only ONE problem with this game

because one person only uses a subset of the races and classes that there is a problem.

Its not one person i.e. myself. Tons of people are opting for those choices due to getting disappointed or anally raped.

What race/class did you pick?

... How does that mesh with your rankings?  Not well....

It's due to those being everyone's first choice (made with a lack of judgment and experience) for the most part. No one is going to make the same inferior picks on subsequent playthroughs i.e. people will tend to go Cipher/Chanter/Druid/Fighter and so on.

I will never play a Chanter. I played Kana for about five minutes. **** chanters. I loathe them.

• Like 1

Game's laughably easy even with a suboptimal party, at least on Normal.

I guess you're right.

But I'm not complaining that the game is hard in this thread. I'm just saying there is a big (outrageous) efficiency gap between certain classes. And I don't understand how Obsidian missed this.

I'm just saying, if no choice makes the completion of the game impossible, then essentially all choices are viable, despite the efficiency gap you mention.

I'd have to agree. I never claimed the game is hard (at least not on normal) just that the class system is clearly tiered.

Edited by Luj1

"There once was a loon that twitter

Before he went down the ****ter

In its demise he wasn't missed

Because there were bugs to be fixed."

~ Kaine

I'll never understand the cryout for balance in a single player game. This isn't an MMO, though those mechanics seem to be infecting the entire market. The game can be beaten with any race/class combo. Why would you pick any of those other combos? Well, it is a role-playing game, after all. :|

I'll never understand the cryout for balance in a single player game. This isn't an MMO, though those mechanics seem to be infecting the entire market. The game can be beaten with any race/class combo. Why would you pick any of those other combos? Well, it is a role-playing game, after all. :|

I enjoy challenging games. To say that singleplayer games shouldn't be balanced or challenging would be to discount huge genres of games. Where would X-Com go?

I'll never understand the cryout for balance in a single player game.

No one is crying for ideal balance, nor is that achievable. Just reduce this gap between classes. For a game (RPG) like this, the classes should be much closer to one another in efficiency.

Good example is Neverwinter Nights (my avatar). Is such "balance" so unreasonable to ask ?

Edited by Luj1

~ Kaine

I am a Paladin fan and I wrote about it in other topics.

The problem is not a "balance in single player game", it is plain outright bad design, games can be fun while hard, and can be fun while easy, PoE is repetitive and boring, yes I do have great hope that it can get fixed (otherwise I would not be on those forums), but PoE gameplay right now is press sneak button, fast button, run around searching for whatever you are looking for, and hen seeing an enemy kill it with guns at first, and then use the tier 1 classes to kill them in the same way every fight.

Some classes at least you can vary if you want (even if it is not needed), but Paladins for example, depending on your order choice (Shieldbearers for example) are really, really, really boring, they are only glorified wooden stick swingers, they are bad at doing damage, bad at tanking, have no spells or really relevant abilities... the only thing they do "different" from other classes is that they have those crap auras.

• Like 1

No one is crying for ideal balance, nor is that achievable. Just reduce this gap between classes. For a game (RPG) like this, the classes should be much closer to one another in efficiency.

Good example is Neverwinter Nights (my avatar). Is such "balance" so unreasonable to ask ?

You can't be serious. Neverwinter Nights, being built on D&D 3E, had laughable balance. 

• Like 1

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

You can't be serious. Neverwinter Nights, being built on D&D 3E, had laughable balance. 

No this just isn't true. I have like 6000 Nwn character builds compiled over a decade sitting on my computer somewhere. All classes and prestige classes were more or less equally featured. I only want to see half as much of that in PoE. There also used to be an online search engine for Nwn 1 builds ( a fact which speaks for itself). And Nwn was 3.5 btw, not 3

Edited by Luj1

~ Kaine

Yeah D&D 3/3.5 has some of the worst balance in any rpg system.

I haven't PnP much, but incase of the digital incarnation of AD&D 3.5 aka Neverwinter Nights what you say simply isn't true.

Edited by Luj1

~ Kaine

Hey dont bash 3.5,

3.5 is much better than the system the game uses, I mean 3.5 was far from balanced but in terms of number of viable and even competitive options 3.5 crushes this game lol

That's an understatement lol :) but I still love PoE to bits .

NWN Monk...so good.  PoE Monk...blegh.

Indeed :)... Pure monk was a beast, or eventually 20Monk + shifter levels aka KungFuDragon (dragonform ftw)

• Like 1

~ Kaine

I feel like people who think Monk isn't good in PoE aren't actually playing a monk for very long.

I was unhappy with my monk in the beginning, but now I wreck face. 2 flaming fists, some light armor, and I punch everything to death. Easily the best DPS in my party, with defensive stats on par with Eder.

Its not one person i.e. myself. Tons of people are opting for those choices due to getting disappointed or anally raped.

People who know how actually learn how to play this game managed to beat the game on PotD with a human monk and obsidian NPCs, i know i did. The problem is that people cannot stand not playing the best race-class combination so unless everything is perfectly balanced they'll never gonna get mental peace.

• Like 2

I would have preferred D&D 3.5, not that it was possible but meh 

Play Dungeons and Dragons Online.  Boom.

Anyway, I really enjoyed my Human Rogue.  Seriously, who cares about "balance" in a single-player game?  Play what you want to play.  It can't possibly be as stupid as BG 1 and 2.

• Like 1

Grand Rhetorist of the Obsidian Order

If you appeal to "realism" about a video game feature, you are wrong. Go back and try again.

Chanters are fine in short combats. Combat going to be short, and you aren't likely to get an invocation off? Then turn on a high level chant that gives the party hefty buffs or the enemy a hefty debuff to end the too quick combat all the quicker. If the encounter is going to be long enough to get an invocation off you start with low level Chant to get the invocation and then switch to a high level chant to assist your party again.

Give enemies a -10 concentration until you have 5 Chants, summon drake, switch to fire weapon chant. Now your drake and entire party has extra fire damage. Long combat.

Give party extra fire damage, or hit enemies with AoE fire damage, etc. Short combat.

The problem is people feel the chanter needs to use invocations. They don't. It sucks that they are as passive as they are, but their buffs are top tier at higher level, and they can be a permanent buff. They can rotate with a lower level phrase and the high level phrase has 100% up time. IMHO they need some class specific talents to make them more active while chanting, but the invocations need to take time or their power will be nerfed.

I have no comments on balance as I will play what I want to play. My second go at the game is a monk, and people really underestimate them as a class. They do silly damage with proper play and positioning.

Hey dont bash 3.5,

3.5 is much better than the system the game uses, I mean 3.5 was far from balanced but in terms of number of viable and even competitive options 3.5 crushes this game lol

Once you factor in all the alternate sourcebooks and expansions and whatnot. PoE hasn't had time for that yet. :)

• Like 1