Alright Obsidian, there's really only ONE problem with this game

I know what you mean but if the class is clearly underpowered I cant play it even if I like the I idea/lore behind it, 

Even if it's perfectly viable, despite not being as good as Class X?

Game balance isn't really about making every choice equal, it's about making every choice worth taking.

well if one class clearly is better and occupies the same roll as the other I feel obligated to take the more powerful one it seems like simple logic

• Like 1

I disagree with the idea that it is possible to remove them all,

I never said that.

Reread your OP.  If you aren't asking for balance, then what did you make this thread for?  Asking for more balance is fine, and maybe that's what you're doing; I'm just pointing out that there will always be imbalance.

because one person only uses a subset of the races and classes that there is a problem.

Its not one person i.e. myself. Tons of people are opting for those choices due to getting disappointed or anally raped.

What race/class did you pick?

Yes, Ciphers are in the lead, but Rogues are in second place.  Humans are leading the race selection by a healthy margin, with elves in second place.  How does that mesh with your rankings?  Not well.

I know that's not a scientific poll and shouldn't be used to represent the entire community of Pillars players, but the same can be said of your own person race and class preferences.

Even if it's perfectly viable, despite not being as good as Class X?

Game balance isn't really about making every choice equal, it's about making every choice worth taking.

well if one class clearly is better and occupies the same roll as the other I feel obligated to take the more powerful one it seems like simple logic

*shrug* By the end, I simply ended up not using half my party in most fights, because the tanks could faceroll everything by themselves anyway, so why bother with the dedicated damage-dealers? I really couldn't care less about Wizards in general being underpowered and Aloth being an especially sorry example of a wizard, because in the context of the game, he was a perfectly viable pick anyway.

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

Ciphers and Chanters are odd, quirky, home-brewed and too-kool-for-skool classes that had to be favoured above the classes of yore.

What?

Chanters are clearly Bards.

Ciphers are just Pisonics.

Both have existed in Dungeons and Dragons since the 1970s.

• Like 1

Reread your OP. 

Bro I said bugs, limericks, auto-leveling companions and messed up attributes were fixable. I didn't say perfect balance is achievable, I just said balance is the biggest issue in this game. Likewise, you'd never have ideal balance, but near-balance. Which is light years away from the current state anyway.

Edited by Luj1

"There once was a loon that twitter

Before he went down the ****ter

In its demise he wasn't missed

Because there were bugs to be fixed."

~ Kaine

Which currently is not.

Edited by Luj1

~ Kaine

I was a little disappointed with the OP's post.

I think it would have read better like this...

Alright Obsidian, there's really only ONE problem with this game...

and that is...

Everyone has their own one issue with it!

Please fix.

Edited by Horrorscope

because one person only uses a subset of the races and classes that there is a problem.

Its not one person i.e. myself. Tons of people are opting for those choices due to getting disappointed or anally raped.

What race/class did you pick?

... How does that mesh with your rankings?  Not well....

It's due to those being everyone's first choice (made with a lack of judgment and experience) for the most part. No one is going to make the same inferior picks on subsequent playthroughs i.e. people will tend to go Cipher/Chanter/Druid/Fighter and so on.

Edited by Luj1

~ Kaine

It's due to those being everyone's first choice (made with a lack of judgment and experience) for the most part. No one is going to make the same inferior picks on subsequent playthroughs i.e. people will tend to go Cipher/Chanter/Druid/Fighter and so on.

I specifically asked, in the OP "if you've done multiple playthroughs choose all that apply".

Which currently is not.

It still doesn't really affect the outcome.

Game's laughably easy even with a suboptimal party, at least on Normal.

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

Ciphers and Chanters are odd, quirky, home-brewed and too-kool-for-skool classes that had to be favoured above the classes of yore.

What?

Chanters are clearly Bards.

Ciphers are just Pisonics.

Both have existed in Dungeons and Dragons since the 1970s.

well they are the same in spirit but in terms of how they play they are significantly different

I would have preferred D&D 3.5, not that it was possible but meh 

Amen... the most optimal edition IMO

I think they loosely based PoE's system off AD&D 4.... which I never grew fond of.

It has absolutely nothing in common with 4E D&D.  Nothing.

BALANCE. That's the unic problem. Combats are terribly easy and I've lost interest on finishing the game.

I don't understand the obsesion with rules, the big variety of spells, chants, beautiful weapons... and all of those stuff is worth nothing because you don't need spells and important weapons to overcome all combats.

At least, the main battles should have been created in a more difficult way. Maerwald combat is for laughing. He should be protected by an anti-weapons/spells sphere (like BG2 mages) and be acompanied by 4-5 fire elementals. Not only by one. Something like Drake and its worshippers battle at the level 5.

Enemy wizards all should have protections spheres at the beggining of combat. Wizards are as vulnerable as BG1. Whit a single blow of your six heroes throwing arrows or bolts (no mentioning firearms) you eliminate any wizard at beginning.

Enemy soldiers and archers should inflict an incredible damage.

Enemy spells should have more impact on our group.

I like combat mechanics and its frenetic pace, and AI movement is not bad, but BALANCE made me stop playing at the act 2 ;....(

Edited by juanval

I guess you're right.

But I'm not complaining that the game is hard in this thread. I'm just saying there is a big (outrageous) efficiency gap between certain classes. And I don't understand how Obsidian missed this.

~ Kaine

But my boreal dwarf wizard and priest are freaking OP, as are my wood elf arbalest paladins.

OP lies.

Whats so good about arbalest paladins ??

PS you're an adorable munchkin <3

Edited by Luj1

~ Kaine

I guess you're right.

But I'm not complaining that the game is hard in this thread. I'm just saying there is a big (outrageous) efficiency gap between certain classes. And I don't understand how Obsidian missed this.

I'm just saying, if no choice makes the completion of the game impossible, then essentially all choices are viable, despite the efficiency gap you mention.

• Like 1