If you thought that high level wizards are overpowered in BG2, think again.

Level 9 aloth can cast all the level 1 spells he wants in a fight and they replenish without rest for the next fight !

God mode activated - spam chill fog all around the map while not fighting, making that spell recharge yet leaving the AOE on ground.

Start a fight and keep spamming, blinding, chilling, doing bazillion amount of damage to an area.

Whoever said wizards are weak should repent ! the final judgment hasth cometh !

cf954a10966d76935688741893f860.jpg

• Like 2

what_can_cb510.png

If you thought that high level wizards are overpowered in BG2, think again.

Level 9 aloth can cast all the level 1 spells he wants in a fight and they replenish without rest for the next fight !

I wish the game would tell you this :o

EDIT: to add to this, at level 11 all your level 1 and level 2 spells are refreshed after each fight.

I am guessing that at level 12, all your level 3 spells get refreshed as well.

Edited by dirigible

IE wizards had epic levels.

PoE wizards don't have that YET

13 will give you level 3 spells replenished spells

19 would replenish level 6 spells. Petrify every fight. Shoot DR ignoring lances from your body. GG no re.

Level 6 spells are already reaching insane powers and are better than all the other level 6 spells, besides the huge cipher prone AoE, but even that one needs a friendly target.

If the expansion raises the level cap...well Berath should start thinking how to implement a queue system.

Yeah, I was a little surprised when I find the sorcerers in this IE game not very powerful. I took the druid and had Aloth doing missions in the stronghold for a long time, but  somehow I took him in lvl 9 and it was like wow, he really is good. 

The system is pretty whack, though, because the way it interacts with the base mechanics of the game means that the wizard will become *exponentially* more powerful, especially if we start adding more levels to it. There's going to be some really considerable balance issues in the future if they keep it.

I think a better solution would be to allow select spells to become Per Encounter, instead of blanket levels, but even that could be iffy, especially if they really start getting rid of the "Combat Only" states (which I honestly believe they aren't genuine in their supposed intent to do, but w/e).

Edited by Luckmann

t50aJUd.jpg

The system is pretty whack, though, because the way it interacts with the base mechanics of the game means that the wizard will become *exponentially* more powerful, especially if we start adding more levels to it

Just like D&D

• Depends on the version of D&D, but;
  • Generally, yes, and that's not a good thing, just because of how it worked in D&D.

t50aJUd.jpg

Trying to stop 'degenerative gameplay' in a stats-based system is like to stop water running through your fingers.

I'm sure Obsidian will try to Mcguyver this amusing quirk out of existence, lest someone is found to be enjoying themselves.

• Like 2

sonsofgygax.JPG

I'm sure Obsidian will try to Mcguyver this amusing quirk out of existence, lest someone is found to be enjoying themselves.

You realize that putting it in was a conscious decision on their part?

That won't stop people from complaining about "balance" and whining until it is changed.  Lets stop it before it begins.

You realize that putting it in was a conscious decision on their part?

Many concious decisions on their part have been less than stellar, and many have been rehashed and changed over time.

t50aJUd.jpg

I saw someone suggest that the switch to per-encounter spells should both start earlier and have more space in terms of character levels between getting the next level of spells; this seems like a good idea to me, for the sake of future balance considerations.

• Like 2

This is not really specific to Wizards -- Druids and Priest share the exact same mechanic (and they don't suffer from only having 4 spells available at a time).

By level 12, and with rings, Aloth had 48 level 1 spells available per fight.  I'm not sure what I'd have had to fight, or at what difficulty, to actually use that many spells in a single encounter :p

This is not really specific to Wizards -- Druids and Priest share the exact same mechanic (and they don't suffer from only having 4 spells available at a time).

By level 12, and with rings, Aloth had 48 level 1 spells available per fight.  I'm not sure what I'd have had to fight, or at what difficulty, to actually use that many spells in a single encounter :p

Depending on the difficulty level, one of those ****ing forest lurker bastards.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Wizards are way more powerful in IE games, but I agree they get insane at high level of PoE

It wouldn't be quite so bad if the first level spells weren't better than the second and third level spells.

That's an equipment bug.

• Like 1

That's an equipment bug.

I suspect as much, but didn't worry about since my party was:

Xavori- start rear move to backstab Rogue

Eder-front line Fighter

Pallegina-front line Paladin

Kana-rear Chanter

Durance - middle healer/defense Priest

Whiny Mom - sometimes rear guard/sometimes front line controller Cipher

So no room for god in my party.  Instead, he did the vast majority of my stronghold adventures.

• Like 1

Trying to stop 'degenerative gameplay' in a stats-based system is like to stop water running through your fingers.

'course you are right, which is why d&d 3e were so much better before they changed the front-loaded ranger, fixed harm and addressed the various attack-of-opportunity exploits.

wait, we got that bass ackwards.  d&d 3e were a better game after  the obvious exploits were removed.  sure, as each new splat book were added to 3e, it were impossible to keep up with all the potential exploits, but that doesn't change the fact that fixing the exploits and adding balance improved d&d.  poe won't have all the prestige class nonsense and there won't be a monetary motivation to keep churning out poorly balanced and ill-considered supplements as most crpgs take far longer to develop than does pnp supplements.  the obsidian developers will, over the course o' the next few months, have the opportunity to fix a goodly number o' the obviously broken mechanics/features... they will have a chance to make poe better.

will a few exploits always remain?  is almost a rl example o' the zeno motion paradox. if each patch fixes half remaining exploits, you never reach a point where all exploits is addressed, eh? *shrug* is gonna be bugs that never get fixed neither, but it sure as heck don't make sense to stop fixing bugs anymore than it makes sense to ignore broken mechanics and features.

is a new system, and like any good crpg or rpg system, there will be flaws.  so, fix the gosh darn flaws and make the game better.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)