So what does everyone think the best chants are?

Just wondering what everyone's personal favorite chants are. My main character is a level 7 chanter, and he's been using Sure Handed Ila (faster reload time) and Lo, Their Endless Host (frights enemies). Faster reload time is really good for obvious reasons, and I'm finding the accuracy penalty to enemies from being frightened to be useful in keeping my guys alive.

I only use 4 of them.

- The one which grants higher move speed.

- The one which set frost trails/traps when I move

I use them for skirmish in open maps (I was mostly using them for the first 40hours of the game)

During combat:

- the one which adds fire dot to party

- the one which boost range attack (5 of my guys use guns)

Otherwise, everything is pretty crappy; for that reason I find chanters not to be really well designed.

The general idea is nice, but the execution not so.

Nice, Hickory!

My only advice is, for chant 4, swap them so that haste comes before fire. With your current setup, your team won't get the haste enchant until the fight is well underway, and the enemies have already reached you. If you swap them, then you'll be hasted immediately so you can reposition as much as needed, and then soon after you'll get the fire effect just in time to start hitting the enemy.

• Like 1

Nice, Hickory!

My only advice is, for chant 4, swap them so that haste comes before fire. With your current setup, your team won't get the haste enchant until the fight is well underway, and the enemies have already reached you. If you swap them, then you'll be hasted immediately so you can reposition as much as needed, and then soon after you'll get the fire effect just in time to start hitting the enemy.

Good point.  I shall do that, thanks.  :)

Nice, Hickory!

Actually, scrap my last comment (can't see it yet to edit - newbie).  I'm afraid it doesn't work that way.  There's too much overlap with the shorter chant, and you're left unhasted when it's reversed.  See:

chants2.jpg

Nice, Hickory!

Actually, scrap my last comment (can't see it yet to edit - newbie).  I'm afraid it doesn't work that way.  There's too much overlap with the shorter chant, and you're left unhasted when it's reversed.  See:

chants2.jpg

Ah, that's true.

But it's true the other way as well. Your haste will wear off soon after starting the fire enchant no matter which way you do it.

The ones which last 6 seconds make your summon come out 2 seconds later. 8 second phrases mean 4 seconds later. Per use. Would you rather have 8 seconds of fiery weapons, or 4 seconds of Fortitude and Will and 4 seconds of dragon?

The best phrases in the game are all available at level 1. :/

Edited by scrotiemcb

Would you rather have 8 seconds of fiery weapons, or 4 seconds of Fortitude and Will and 4 seconds of dragon?

For most fights, I'd rather have firey weapons and no dragon. Most fights end before the dragon would become useful anyway.

For really hard fights I start with the fire weapons, then immediately switch to quicker chants so I can get the aoe petrify.

• Like 1

Yeah, Dragon Thrashed is basically Soft Winds of Death that's actually worth using.

The level one phrases give such negligible effects it doesn't really matter. Thick Grew Their Tongues is one I try and layer with the stronger phrases. Sure Handed Ila even post-nerf is worth using in a gun heavy party and Lo, Their Endless Host mark the two standout level 2 phrases. All the 3rd level phrases are great though the fire weapon enchant I find the worst since it won't stack with Burning Lash and the bonus damage is very minor unless you're doing solid numbers anyway.

I very much like The Dragon Trashed, The Dragon Wailed. You sing at people and they combust. How ****ing metal is that?

Yeah that one and the fire weapons are the 2 level 3 phrases I used.

I use my highest level chants on smaller fights. Adding fire damage to weapons or an AoE Fire damage proc is instantaneous buffs to your party to put out small fights quickly.

On boss fights I start with level 1 chants, and lean on buffs from the priest spells, pally auras, etc while letting wizards and the lik debuff. When I have 5 Chants I cast The Brideman slew thirty (+5 might, con, resolve) on a chunk of the party and the switch to fire weapons phrase. That gives your party 30s of +5 might and +25 fire damage. <that is a huge damage bump. I try to time that with something blessing from a priest to increase party accuracy, and a debuff from a wizard to give a huge swing for the party. It takes some micro.

Ah, that's true.

But it's true the other way as well. Your haste will wear off soon after starting the fire enchant no matter which way you do it.

Yeah, I realised that after posting. It's called 'not seeing the wood for the trees'. :D

Still, the firey weapons are constant, so I'm happy with that.