Nothing Works! May I please try the Steam version?

MouseHopper24

Question

I have done everything I can to get my GOG download of PoE to work.  The game just will not start.  This has become too frustrating for words.  I have already posted on this site with all of the requested documentation, but have had no responses.

The problem is as follows:  I get to the start up screen, I try to press New Game, I am taken to a screen that tells me there are no saved games.  I am given no other options.  Period.  The End.  I do have a saved games folder installed, but there are no saved games in it; as I have never played the game.

I have not downloaded the 1.03 patch yet; but don't see much point since the original game is not even working. 

What I really would like to know is this.  This version of the game is my Silver Backer version that I downloaded from GOG.  Is it possible to somehow send it back and try to get the Steam version?

Please will someone from Obsidian answer me?

• Like 1

I hope Obsidian will help you.

What happens if you put random saves from the forum into your save folder, can you load them?

• Like 1

Cail The Silent- The drake coils its body protectively around something. "One day I will become a burning thing. Bright and terrible like my spark."
Quest "Cinders of Faith"

Sagani- Sagani chuckles. "Nothing against these stuffy forests, but you haven't seen the southern lights over Naasitaq."
Quest "The Long Hunt"

I'd install the 1.03 patch since you've got nothing to lose currently. Have you tried uninstalling the game, deleting the files and downloading them again for a fresh install? Could be that something was corrupted during the first download or install. 

I've deleted everything on my computer, reinstalled the game from scratch, then the patch & Kickstarted DLCs, but the newly installed game remains at 1.0.2.0508 even after the patch says it was installed successfully.

I'm having a hell of a time with GOG and their lack of support. Is there a process for moving your backer key over to Steam? I'd really like to play this game & have been stuck for 8+ days now.

• Like 1

I have done everything I can to get my GOG download of PoE to work.  The game just will not start.  This has become too frustrating for words.  I have already posted on this site with all of the requested documentation, but have had no responses.

The problem is as follows:  I get to the start up screen, I try to press New Game, I am taken to a screen that tells me there are no saved games.  I am given no other options.  Period.  The End.  I do have a saved games folder installed, but there are no saved games in it; as I have never played the game.

I have not downloaded the 1.03 patch yet; but don't see much point since the original game is not even working. 

What I really would like to know is this.  This version of the game is my Silver Backer version that I downloaded from GOG.  Is it possible to somehow send it back and try to get the Steam version?

If you do not have a 64bit OS like Win7 and Win8 that is part of your problem.

If you took shortcuts when building or buying your PC and purchased AMD or are using 4 generation old hardware this is part of your problem.

You didn't pick the BEST digital content provider, this is part of your problem too.

See the lack of sympathy?  Crashes are your issue and your own fault, the PC race is vast and one should always make an effort to game on the same hardware the game was built on:

i7 4xxx or 5xxx series

nvidia 7xx - 9xx series

8+gb RAM

Solid State Hard Drives

The above system is the NORM, get with it or expect crashes; plain and simple.

If you took shortcuts when building or buying your PC and purchased AMD or are using 4 generation old hardware this is part of your problem.

You didn't pick the BEST digital content provider, this is part of your problem too.

See the lack of sympathy?  Crashes are your issue and your own fault, the PC race is vast and one should always make an effort to game on the same hardware the game was built on:

i7 4xxx or 5xxx series

nvidia 7xx - 9xx series

8+gb RAM

Solid State Hard Drives

I have a AMD system and the game run perfect.

• Like 3

Yes i know, my english sux.

*facepalm*

i7 4xxx or 5xxx series

nvidia 7xx - 9xx series

8+gb RAM

Solid State Hard Drives

GForce 210, 4Gb RAM, Quad CPU blah blah... No crashes.
  • Like 1

I don't think there is point in blaming him for not having specific Intel processor and specific Nvidia card. If The game won't run on other hardwares Obsidian should fix it. (I can run it on 3 year old laptop with very little problems). Also the system requirements have gone way up after the kickstarter, so OP couldn't have known his PC wouldn't run it.

What OS are you running? Also I suggest you update your drivers and the game. As far as I know, GoG offers refunds if the game won't work properly, dunno how it works if you have not 'bought' the game. I don't think steam version will work any differently.

• Like 1

That may be a source of problems, yes.

This on the other hand is utter nonsense. Been playing the backer beta on a system with AMD processor and AMD graphics card, and it was no problem. People have played it on Intel integrated graphics, they've played it on ages old dual core laptops, so really, hardware that is comaparatively weak will *not* cause crahes.

My full game is downloaded from GOG, the BEST digital content provider - why should this run any worse than the Steam version? If you think it through, the contrary could be the case, as there's no extra service running in the background...

As for the OP's problem: Are you using the English version of the game? Maybe something is labeled wrongly in your language version and you actually click "Load Game" instead of "New Game". Other than that: The patch wouldn't hurt.

If you really want the Steam version: As a "silver level" backer, you might have access to a second copy of the game. Check your backer account! You can redeem that second copy for Steam if you so choose.

Edited by samm
  • Like 2

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

Well, first of all if there's a patch it's a good rule to install it because it might have stability improvements.

Second, you could try downloading some save game, or getting some from someone just to see if the game starts.

I am sorry everyone, I didn't mean to start a PC spec bashing thread.  I am not saying the game won't run with AMD or on older machines guys, I am not making a broad-sweeping statement.  I simply provided a checklist of items that can all add up to or contribute in some way to his problem.  Someone who has an intel/nvidia rig like the one I posted is going to see higher reliability across the board simply because games are designed on the highest-end machines.

^^assumption unsupported by evidence.

this might have been true... 20 years ago.

not so much any more.

what's more, the problem description sounds to me like it is a file/folder issue, and has nothing at all to do with hardware.  nothing.

my advice to the OP:

make sure you are running the game in administrator mode.

rt-click on your shortcut, and check the "run as administrator" option.

also, by default, the game tries to create save files in C:\Users\[yourname]\Saved Games\Pillars of Eternity

if you do not also have administrative rights to the root folder of that, then it likely is unable to create the savegame folder.

assuming you still have the game installed, go check and see if that folder even exists.  if not, there's your problem right there.

are you logged into the computer as a different user than the owner?

in any case, try the "run as administrator" thing first.  that SHOULD allow the game to create the proper files wherever it needs to.

cheers.

ps:  this of course assumes you actually have base administrative rights associated with the account you logged in with.

if not, log into your computer with whatever login you originally set it up with, and use that login to make sure your current favored login indeed has administrative rights!

Edited by Ichthyic

Ok, thanks all of you for your great suggestions.  I did in fact delete the whole game and reinstall it (including the DLC's).  I did not try installing someone else's saves, however.  I guess I could try that.  I did contact GOG support, but did not have much success.  I have been unable to find the patch for windows on GOG so far, but I guess I will try again, and maybe go ahead and install it anyway.

To the computer snob, I actually do have quite a good computer set up due to the fact that my husband is a computer tech, and he built it for me.  As I mentioned in this post to which you are responding, I actually posted those specs in an earlier post, along with a copy of the crash letter that I have been receiving. Edit: (That Thread was called "Game never starts", for anyone who wants to check out all the stats.  I was unable to do the insert and had to copy them onto the post).  I did not post it again on this thread as I thought it would be overkill.

However, for your edification those specs are as follows: I will have my husband give you the info:

CPU- i7 3770K Water Cooled

Asus ROG Motherboard

Ram- 16 gig

Samsung 840 EVO SSD 240 gig plus 5 other drives all sata 6 gbs

Asus GTX 660 ti Water Cooled video card

2 Asus 27 inch led backlit monitors

Asus dvd drive

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit completely patched and up to date.

Razor Black widow Ultimate Keyboard and Razor gaming mouse.

Not average at all. 

I can attest to the fact that he is extremely painstaking when building computers as he does this for a living.  He never takes shortcuts, and does not use AMD as he believes they overheat too easily. 

I will continue to follow this topic, and will also let you guys know if I have any success.  I know there are others having similar problems, and if I come up with anything I will post it here.

Thanks again to all of you

Edited by MouseHopper24
  • Like 1

<snip> I have been unable to find the patch for windows on GOG so far, but I guess I will try again, and maybe go ahead and install it anyway. </snip>

The patch is listed just underneath the game download in your GOG Libray.

GOG.com -> (top navigation bar) Account -> Library -> Pillars of Eternity. 

Should be right there.

Not particularly helpful, I know, but good luck.  ;)

• Like 1

<snip> I have been unable to find the patch for windows on GOG so far, but I guess I will try again, and maybe go ahead and install it anyway. </snip>

Should be right there.

Not particularly helpful, I know, but good luck.   ;)

Thanks for this

Should be right there.

Not particularly helpful, I know, but good luck.   ;)

Very helpful.  Thanks

Hello MouseHopper24, Any luck?

That is a shame that you are having such a hard time. It sounds really frustrating.

When you get the patch installed, try running the game as administrator. There is something fishy about the problem you are having, as the game is not crashing, you are stuck running the game for the first time.

I hope one of the Obsidian Devs, or someone on this board who is familiar with PoE's registry or configuration files might make a suggestion. This might be a registry issue or initial configuration issue.

There are references in the forum to the PoE registry entries. You might try, if you are feeling brave, deleting the PoE registry tree and then running the game again. I'm hoping that the Game will rebuild a missing registry tree if it can't find it. If not, I would save the tree before you delete it. That way you can put it back if you need to.

Good luck and I hope you get your game working!

Hello MouseHopper24, Any luck?

That is a shame that you are having such a hard time. It sounds really frustrating.

When you get the patch installed, try running the game as administrator. There is something fishy about the problem you are having, as the game is not crashing, you are stuck running the game for the first time.

I hope one of the Obsidian Devs, or someone on this board who is familiar with PoE's registry or configuration files might make a suggestion. This might be a registry issue or initial configuration issue.

There are references in the forum to the PoE registry entries. You might try, if you are feeling brave, deleting the PoE registry tree and then running the game again. I'm hoping that the Game will rebuild a missing registry tree if it can't find it. If not, I would save the tree before you delete it. That way you can put it back if you need to.

Good luck and I hope you get your game working!

Thanks for your interest.  So far no luck and no response from Obsidian.  Your suggestion about the registry tree is an interesting one.  When my husband has some more time to help me I will ask him.  He is much more comfortable with that sort of thing.  In the meantime I have gone back to playing Skyrim, as that one is working just fine.  But I will get back to PoE pretty soon.  Thank you again for that suggestion.  I will let you know if it works.

Ok, thanks all of you for your great suggestions.  I did in fact delete the whole game and reinstall it (including the DLC's).  I did not try installing someone else's saves, however.  I guess I could try that.  I did contact GOG support, but did not have much success.  I have been unable to find the patch for windows on GOG so far, but I guess I will try again, and maybe go ahead and install it anyway.

To the computer snob, I actually do have quite a good computer set up due to the fact that my husband is a computer tech, and he built it for me.  As I mentioned in this post to which you are responding, I actually posted those specs in an earlier post, along with a copy of the crash letter that I have been receiving. Edit: (That Thread was called "Game never starts", for anyone who wants to check out all the stats.  I was unable to do the insert and had to copy them onto the post).  I did not post it again on this thread as I thought it would be overkill.

However, for your edification those specs are as follows: I will have my husband give you the info:

CPU- i7 3770K Water Cooled

Asus ROG Motherboard

Ram- 16 gig

Samsung 840 EVO SSD 240 gig plus 5 other drives all sata 6 gbs

Asus GTX 660 ti Water Cooled video card

2 Asus 27 inch led backlit monitors

Asus dvd drive

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit completely patched and up to date.

Razor Black widow Ultimate Keyboard and Razor gaming mouse.

Not average at all. 

I can attest to the fact that he is extremely painstaking when building computers as he does this for a living.  He never takes shortcuts, and does not use AMD as he believes they overheat too easily. 

I will continue to follow this topic, and will also let you guys know if I have any success.  I know there are others having similar problems, and if I come up with anything I will post it here.

Thanks again to all of you

Your husband does not seem that much of an expert, actually.  If he thinks AMD cpus "overheat" then why is his Intel cpu water cooled?...;) Heh...;)  SInce he's also got very hot and water-cooled GPUs, I think it's a cinch that your problem is caused by overclocking--because you don't need water cooling if you aren't overclocking/overvolting.  If you are actually telling the truth here: set all your system clocks to default and the game will probably run with no trouble.  If your husband doesn't understand that then I'd seriously suggest he find a new career...;)  When you are overclocking, *nothing* is guaranteed.

It's very well known that I don't make mistakes, so if you should stumble across the odd error here and there in what I have written, you may immediately deduce--quite correctly--that I did not write it... :biggrin:

As I posted (unnoticed) in the other thread:

Could it be possible that for whatever reason you have no writing permission inside the game save folder?

Try deleting the folder and recreating it manually. And then check the permissions to see if you have Modify, Read, Write, ecc.

• Like 1

As I posted (unnoticed) in the other thread:

Could it be possible that for whatever reason you have no writing permission inside the game save folder?

Try deleting the folder and recreating it manually. And then check the permissions to see if you have Modify, Read, Write, ecc.

This seems to be more in line with the issues experienced. I would give this a try.