Cap the frame rate lower than refresh rate? (to reduce heat on laptop)

PugPug

Question

Some games let you do this through console commands or .cfg files.

I know you can do it with Nvidia Inspector, too, as long as you have an Nvidia card of course. I guess I'll try that, but I'd like to know of another way, if there is one.

It would also be good to know if we can tweak graphics options beyond what is available in the in-game menu.

Thanks.

7 answers to this question

Emergency shutdown always sounds like a serious problem with cooling.

I have seen reports that some games using the Unity engine made systems run hot, but if the cooling fails to keep the system stable, that's a hardware issue, imo.

You say that you keep your laptop clean, so I assume the problem isn't with dust clocking your vents or such.

It can still be insufficient cooling though - maybe the heat-spreader has come loose from your CPU, or the thermal grease has dried up too much (if it uses grease that is).

Apparently sometimes the manufacturer simply fails to design the cooling system right, though.

Emergency shutdown always sounds like a serious problem with cooling.

I have seen reports that some games using the Unity engine made systems run hot, but if the cooling fails to keep the system stable, that's a hardware issue, imo.

You say that you keep your laptop clean, so I assume the problem isn't with dust clocking your vents or such.

It can still be insufficient cooling though - maybe the heat-spreader has come loose from your CPU, or the thermal grease has dried up too much (if it uses grease that is).

Apparently sometimes the manufacturer simply fails to design the cooling system right, though.

In my experience it is something that just happens with laptops. You would think it would just downclock (is that a word?) until it stops overheating, even if it gets to the point that applications become unstable, but it doesn't. It slows down only to a point. Maybe it's configurable in the BIOS?

I did just have another idea, though. I could limit max CPU power under Windows power options. Kind of a hassle to do and undo for one game, though. Maybe someone has come up with some kind of batch file...

Really though, I would prefer they integrate an FPS limiter into the game. It's becoming a somewhat common feature.

It might be worth giving MSI Afterburner a try - don't think it has a frame limiter but it does provide fan control and the ability to increase fan speeds once certain temperature thresholds are reached. That should provide better cooling though at the cost of more fan noise. A laptop cooler is another option to consider - these are fairly cheap and can help lower temperatures.

It might be worth giving MSI Afterburner a try - don't think it has a frame limiter but it does provide fan control and the ability to increase fan speeds once certain temperature thresholds are reached. That should provide better cooling though at the cost of more fan noise. A laptop cooler is another option to consider - these are fairly cheap and can help lower temperatures.

Yeah, I always have it on a cooling pad with a fan. They do help, but only a bit. Do you need an MSI card to use MSI Afterburner?