The main problem with Monks is they're forced to engage in melee, which is this game's most dangerous combat. Melee combat in this game is far more treacherous than any other RPG of its type because of engagement and risk of AoE. You cant build squishy, and you won't be effective tanky without sacrifice to damage. The second problem is they must take damage to use skills. A Cipher need only attack to gain Focus, which makes it safe and effective and can also be used at range.

Ranged Monks are possible, they are just completely counterintuitive. Moon Godlike with 18/18/18/7/10/7. Run ahead of your tanks at the beginning of the fight and then get clobbered by enemy engagement attacks. You should now have a fat stack of wounds to power Turning Wheel. Swift Strikes/Lightning Strikes works with ranged weapons, though requires a little risk vs reward since you are diminishing your Turning Wheel.

Any enemies that come into your back line can eat a Stunning Fist (preserves wounds), or Force of Anguish (taken as a later pick).
So it absolutely can be done, there are just a lot better things to do with monk than play him as a ranger.

No, there's no real chance of such a change this late. Get modding!

I'd much rather see a similar point system instead build up similar to Soul Whip,

I'd much rather see the whole game designed around this mechanic. It's great.

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

They really ought to make the wounds change somehow, like have the monks have a wound cap, let the wounds absorb a certain amount of endurance/health damage, and "explode" them after a certain amount of time.   Let wounds coming off count as a "hostile effect expiration" for the purposes of Crucible of suffering and Clarity of Agony.  Let Clarity of Agony cause damage to nearby enemies when the Wounds explode as a tradeoff for having them explode twice as often.  Something like that, I didn't get much sleep and rearranged this post several times so feel free to ask for clarification.

The wounds mechanic really felt like it should have belonged to the Barbarian in my opinion. The monk has no way to regain endurance unlike the warrior, barbarian and paladin. I hope they make changes before the expansion to how the class functions and provide more class passive talents to increase DR in light armor. I would think some mechanism to minimize knockdown and engage multiple opponents/minimize flanking penalties would really be in line with the martial artist aspect.

Overall, I am really disappointed in the mechanical execution of deflection/damage reduction/speed penalties. The original posts that I saw suggested they wanted to normalize the damage to get away from the miss miss crit dead mechanics in the old D&D system but they didn't really accomplish that.

• Like 1

wounds are still bugged.

orgiginal the goal of wounds was, to rtansform the 10 damage into a dot, and you could burn the dot with your skills. with this way of thinking, a monk do not need a heal, beacause he can flat out his damage taken, extremly.

but we see the system, now...

wounds are still bugged.

orgiginal the goal of wounds was, to rtansform the 10 damage into a dot, and you could burn the dot with your skills. with this way of thinking, a monk do not need a heal, beacause he can flat out his damage taken, extremly.

but we see the system, now...

I think it was a design decision rather than a bug but it would have been far better as originally intended and part of the problem is that it is still described as such in many places, such as on the wiki. Ive found a number of spells and abilities are poorly labelled :/

I think at this point the easiest path would be to rename the Monk class "Berserker" because that's closer to what it approximates.

The class wants to get hit.

It can activate an attack speed buff if it takes damage.

It gets a damage buff if it takes damage.

It can activate a stun if it takes damage.

It can activate an AE Crush attack if it takes damage.

Best with medium armor and weapons.

It would also get people better prepared for how they should play this class. You want to get hurt, but you don't want to tank the entire enemy group like a Fighter tank either.

I like the wound system, myself. Having a ball with my adventurer monk, even with her being perpetually ~3/4 of a level behind. Fists do so much damage. My only complaint with her is that she's a bit squishy even with the insane amount of health - but then again I've only got her in padded or robes so that's partially my fault.

• Like 1