All those trashmobs make the game really boring

What's around the corner? Trashmobs. Everywhere. Its tiresome and uninspiring. Feels like mmo grind. What to expect from exploring besides exp and trashmobs? More trashmobs. Stats don't really matter in this game, magic items don't really matter either, makes the whole thing rather bland experience.

I don't know why this game is rated a 10/10 by some reviewers. Its a solid 7, an 8 once balanced and bugfixed. I'd buy more of these kind of games from obsidian, but I'm not really impressed with this one.

• Like 1

I'm feeling the same way after my party got to Dyford crossing... all the fighting seem rather pointless due to lack of exp, I just hope the same mobs stop appearing. Walk 20 seconds and a mob of beetles appear, walk another 10 second and a mob of wolves appear. 

Oh no, there are enemy monsters in my dungeon crawling RPG...

Wha?

Also, how does stats/items not matter?

• Like 1

He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster . . .

when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you

What's around the corner? Trashmobs. Everywhere. Its tiresome and uninspiring. Feels like mmo grind. What to expect from exploring besides exp and trashmobs? More trashmobs. Stats don't really matter in this game, magic items don't really matter either, makes the whole thing rather bland experience.

I don't know why this game is rated a 10/10 by some reviewers. Its a solid 7, an 8 once balanced and bugfixed. I'd buy more of these kind of games from obsidian, but I'm not really impressed with this one.

How is it an MMO grind, you don't get any experience by killing those mobs.

• Like 1

I play on hard and I find it challenging. Maybe so because I had (and probably still have) to learn the system. I guess some areas could use some more exploring with less mobs all over the place though, because it's true you bump into mobs as soon as you go a few feet away from the path.

I agree, actually; I think some of the wilderness areas are too densely packed in terms of various creature encounters that are generally not a challenge (on hard), but are simply rather tedious.

OP, stick to the roads in various areas after clearing anything along them, then do your scouting and looting of the rest of the map with one party member that has high stealth; it much improves matters.  The nice part about only minimal xp from killing things is that you can avoid fighting them without really losing out, unless you want to fill in their details in your beastiary for the benefit of future fights, or you want their body parts for crafting.

• Like 1

I agree, actually; I think some of the wilderness areas are too densely packed in terms of various creature encounters that are generally not a challenge (on hard), but are simply rather tedious.

OP, stick to the roads in various areas after clearing anything along them, then do your scouting and looting of the rest of the map with one party member that has high stealth; it much improves matters.  The nice part about only minimal xp from killing things is that you can avoid fighting them without really losing out, unless you want to fill in their details in your beastiary for the benefit of future fights, or you want their body parts for crafting.

Do you know if playing on hard actually spawns new "packs" some places as well as adding more mobs?

I have no idea myself as I'm at the point where I just right click the trash mobs, just another day at work mentality I guess.

He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster . . .

Wait a second, you don't get XP for killing mobs in this game?

Damn, normally I have like 100's of viewers helping me with the game, I can be so clueless sometimes lol.

Edited by luzarius

Having trouble with the games combat on POTD, Trial of Iron?

- Hurtin bomb droppin MONK - [MONK BUILD] - [CLICK HERE]

- Think Rangers suck? You're wrong - [RANGER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

- Fighter Heavy Tank - [FIGHTER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

Despite what I may post, I'm a huge fan of Pillars of Eternity, it's one of my favorite RPG's.

Anita Sarkeesian keeps Bioware's balls in a jar on her shelf.

You received kill XP for the first few of each species (until you fill up the Beastiary for that creature). Funny that the solution players come up with is to avoid combat when possible. :lol:

Aaah i see, it actually makes sense. Once you get good at killing wolves, you essentially become a master wolf hunter and no longer gain experience? Very clever.

But what about enemy human soldiers? Are they classified under bestiary?

Having trouble with the games combat on POTD, Trial of Iron?

- Hurtin bomb droppin MONK - [MONK BUILD] - [CLICK HERE]

- Think Rangers suck? You're wrong - [RANGER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

- Fighter Heavy Tank - [FIGHTER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

Despite what I may post, I'm a huge fan of Pillars of Eternity, it's one of my favorite RPG's.

Anita Sarkeesian keeps Bioware's balls in a jar on her shelf.

You received kill XP for the first few of each species (until you fill up the Beastiary for that creature). Funny that the solution players come up with is to avoid combat when possible. :lol:

Aaah i see, it actually makes sense. Once you get good at killing wolves, you essentially become a master wolf hunter and no longer gain experience? Very clever.

But what about enemy human soldiers? Are they classified under bestiary?

No xp for killing humans.

Killing things still offers loot though, especially humans. Loot turns into money, money turns into better magical items and enchanting materials.

I see some people complain that they hit lvl 12 then there's no more progression, but you can still pimp out your gear... unless your gear is completely pimped out then I guess GG.

---

Edited by Nokturnal Lex

You get items for kills, which is actually useful for crafting. Its entirety possible in this game, with a minimum of effort, to avoid most encounters if you are so moved. There are locked doors that bypass fights. There are scripts to toss grappling hooks across chasms. There are dialog options. And, as noted, you don't need to slaughter for exp.

What, precisely, is the problem here? If you clear all maps you have to fight things? That's the equivalent of looking for fights.

I'm more abused by unloading a ton of crap from my stash every other shop visit.

I see the dreams so marvelously sad

The creeks of land so solid and encrusted

Where wave and tide against the shore is busted

While chanting by the moonlit twilight's bed

trees (of Twin Elms) could use more of Magran's touch © Durance

If you dislike the combat so much, that would only do it for a carrot of some kind, maybe this whole cup of tea is just not yours? Personally I won't play, say a racing game or diablo-style arcade, regarless if there's xp, loot or shoulder pat for every action, just because such games do not interest me.

Edited by Nortar

I'm usually the first person to complain about a game and where it lacks, but in all honesty, I'm not finding anything in this game to complain about. While it was in Beta and I learned there was no XP for killing enemies, I was not sure how that would play out. Now, playing the game I don't have a problem with it. In fact, it makes me want to complete quests even more to get the XP.

As far as the term "trash mobs" goes-when did that term come in to existence? The first time I heard it came from a certain MMO that's been around for a decade plus.

This isn't an MMO. Sure, there are weak enemies, but the way I look at it is this-I destroy 3 wolves or a band of bandits and I feel good and powerful. Then I come upon a Drake and his minions and I realize I'm not on the top of the food chain!

I'm usually the first person to complain about a game and where it lacks, but in all honesty, I'm not finding anything in this game to complain about. While it was in Beta and I learned there was no XP for killing enemies, I was not sure how that would play out. Now, playing the game I don't have a problem with it. In fact, it makes me want to complete quests even more to get the XP.

As far as the term "trash mobs" goes-when did that term come in to existence? The first time I heard it came from a certain MMO that's been around for a decade plus.

This isn't an MMO. Sure, there are weak enemies, but the way I look at it is this-I destroy 3 wolves or a band of bandits and I feel good and powerful. Then I come upon a Drake and his minions and I realize I'm not on the top of the food chain!

What you mean I'm not on the top of the food chain!?!