Are there any helms in game that make it worth NOT going godlike? ive seen a similar discussion before but the focus there was on the godlike powers. TBH it seems that either the godlike are all going to have to get nerfed (not nature obviously) or the are going to have to release some helms that make it worth it to NOT go godlike. I mean Im having to force myself to pick other races now coz i always roll moon or fire and i like their abilities so i dont really want to see them nerfed, but at no point in my playthrough have i seen a helm and been like 'dam i wish i didnt get 3 free heals per battle or aoe fire damage and free damage reduction'. Even the helm that lets you charm an enemy is a bit meh in comparison and you cant even get that till the second act.

There it is lol, still since that thread I have yet to find any helms worth it, especially when late game buffs etc give you more bonuses. I guess what Im asking is has anyone found a helm powerful enough even in the late game to justify not taking moonlike for the immense heals?

No worries, Godlike is perfectly fine and the helm is not a drawback as it seems at first. Just compare him to other classes without the helm in mind. I have finished game once, and played twice till late act 3, and you don't need a helm at all, all the stats they can offer are easily surpassed with stats from rings/gloves/belts anyway. 

max level 12 is not high...only 69k XP....means the real awesome helm we will get in Addon or pillars 2.

it was the same in baldurs Gate...in BG 2 the real strong items howed off.

and the helm with +15will and the charm cast, can be situtional good.

Edited by Aqvamare

actually, you can build a better deflection tank using an Orlan.

if the idea is to avoid damage, rather than try to heal from it.

as to helmets, again, there is one that specifically makes a maxed perception/resolve orlan even better, and then there is the helm that has charm built into it, but really?  nope, youre right that there simply aren't very many good helms, less than a handful, and even those aren't "great".

so yeah, AFAICT, there are two helms worth thinking about:

Munacra Arret
and
Pilgrim's Vigil

of those two, muncara could theoretically save your ass on any number of ocassions with its huge will save boost.  charm might come in handy at some point too, though it does have a long cast time.

pilgrim's vigil is really only valuable to a min/maxed tank looking to get their per/res values over 20.

as to helmets, again, there is one that specifically makes a maxed perception/resolve orlan even better, and then there is the helm that has charm built into it, but really?  nope, youre right that there simply aren't very many good helms, less than a handful, and even those aren't "great".

Munacra Arret

and

Pilgrim's Vigil

of those two, muncara could theoretically save your ass on any number of ocassions with its huge will save boost.  charm might come in handy at some point too, though it does have a long cast time.

pilgrim's vigil is really only valuable to a min/maxed tank looking to get their per/res values over 20.

Yea that has been my experience, the issue as i see is it that the helm would have to do a LOT more to be as valuable as the heals yu get as in my experience the heals double your effectince endurance per fight, doubling the number of htis you can take before you go down. a couple of points in per and res dont have such a large impact even if the charm is useful is some situations

Munacra Arret

and

Pilgrim's Vigil

I almost made my solo paladin a wild orlan :) Decided on Aumaua for the flat stun resist instead, but I think people are too taken in by the moonlikes when there are other races with very worthy benefits.

Munacra Arret

and

Pilgrim's Vigil

I almost made my solo paladin a wild orlan :) Decided on Aumaua for the flat stun resist instead, but I think people are too taken in by the moonlikes when there are other races with very worthy benefits.

Its coz wild orlans ability only kicks in in SOME fights, moonlike get twice as much hp for ALL fights. How is solo paladin anyway, i woldnt think you would have enough dps?

Munacra Arret

and

Pilgrim's Vigil

Its coz wild orlans ability only kicks in in SOME fights, moonlike get twice as much hp for ALL fights. How is solo paladin anyway, i woldnt think you would have enough dps?

you'd be correct.

there's a fine line, and some battles are just not very winnable on POTD with a solo paly I think.  and by not very winnable, I mean, you'd have to crit extraordinarily often to succeed,or else plan way ahead and save up a bunch of the right scrolls to boost damage and reduce enemy resistance, etc.

OTOH, there IS a paly build I was thinking of that might be able to bypass DR even with low might.

ever notice that a blunderbus fires 6 projectiles at once?

you're thinking... "but.. that's even WORSE... each projectile does crap damage against DR!"

but you know what does good damage against everything?  raw damage.

did you know envenomed strike stacks?

so... here comes poison-pistol*-packin'-paladin-pete 

*well, blunderbus, anyway.

I tested this against my paladin, with 24DR to physical damage... and it does over 100 points of damage... per attack.

the best thing?

not only does it stack on each attack, each attack's poison stacks on the previous attack...

you can get some insane numbers.  earlier today I was running one where I got 120 raw damage per second...  yeah, you read that right.

so, I might actually try a hearth Orlan min/maxed paly, but focusing on blunderbus and envenomed strike.  swap back to shield while the poison melts the target.

others have had the also bright idea to do a rogue blunderbuss build.... sneak + backstab + deep wounds + envenomed strike....

I think it might be overkill.

Edited by Ichthyic

Munacra Arret

and

Pilgrim's Vigil

you'd be correct.

there's a fine line, and some battles are just not very winnable on POTD with a solo paly I think.  and by not very winnable, I mean, you'd have to crit extraordinarily often to succeed,or else plan way ahead and save up a bunch of the right scrolls to boost damage and reduce enemy resistance, etc.

OTOH, there IS a paly build I was thinking of that might be able to bypass DR even with low might.

ever notice that a blunderbus fires 6 projectiles at once?

you're thinking... "but.. that's even WORSE... each projectile does crap damage against DR!"

but you know what does good damage against everything?  raw damage.

did you know envenomed strike stacks?

so... here comes poison-pistol*-packin'-paladin-pete 

*well, blunderbus, anyway.

I tested this against my paladin, with 24DR to physical damage... and it does over 100 points of damage... per attack.

the best thing?

not only does it stack on each attack, each attack's poison stacks on the previous attack...

you can get some insane numbers.  earlier today I was running one where I got 120 raw damage per second...  yeah, you read that right.

so, I might actually try a hearth Orlan min/maxed paly, but focusing on blunderbus and envenomed strike.  swap back to shield while the poison melts the target.

others have had the also bright idea to do a rogue blunderbuss build.... sneak + backstab + deep wounds + envenomed strike....

I think it might be overkill.

I bet this will bee patched next patch though :/

yeah, I probably should have kept my mouth shut until I actually did a full run with it myself.

too late now :p i mean they might fix summoner spam first but yea i very much doubt they meant for it do do so much raw damage...

Except that's just flat untrue. The Helm Of Balduran is an end-game ToB item.

It was not. It was found in the prologue. What a powerful helm it was.

I think the person you are replying to meant that it was a helm that remained viable throughout all chapters of the game, unlike most of the helms here, that are barely viable already, let alone real endgame level 30 stuff.

Except that's just flat untrue. The Helm Of Balduran is an end-game ToB item.

It was not. It was found in the prologue. What a powerful helm it was.

I think the person you are replying to meant that it was a helm that remained viable throughout all chapters of the game, unlike most of the helms here, that are barely viable already, let alone real endgame level 30 stuff.

Aha, there goes my reading comprehension. Apologies and forget I said anything then ;)