Can't advance main quest Never Far from the Queen(even with iemod)

revenoff

Question

I'm stuck on "Investigate the Leaden Key's activities" part of the main quest Never Far from the Queen

I killed everyone in the temple or woedica(I've searched the entire place 10x over, checked guides I wasn't missing any place), rather than getting the hood and learning the pass-phrase. I never got a vision afterwards, and the quest never updated.

If I had to guess I would say it might be because of another bug I was experiencing where my chanter's summoned Phantom stopped despawning after combat ended and acted just like another party-member for a while. It started despawning after combat again but I noticed that every single map that I visit had a phantom spawned in a random spot that is stationary, can't be controlled, but enemies will attack if they are brought to the area it spawns.

Thinking it was some weird interaction with this bug I figured out I can just kill the phantom and it won't show up anymore, but the main quest still doesn't update.

I played many hours after the temple not realizing that something was wrong, have no saves before that point.

Also I tried AdvanceForceQuest console command with IEmod but I seem to only be able to advance the sidequests and such, not the main one.

attach file refuses to work - http://postimg.org/image/h628zcltv/

24 answers to this question

You shouldn't have to rename anything, even the .savegame extension. If you right-click the savefile, then you can select Open With, then choose WinRAR as the program. If it's not listed under other programs you can browse for the WinRAR.exe in your program files, (or rename the .savegame extension to .zip and change it back later). Once you open the save file, you should see all of the listed files inside. Simply highlight the First_Fires_Ruins files and press the delete key to delete them.

Would somebody who is experiencing this issue be able to post their save file and an output log? You can follow the steps here for instructions on how to post those files. And if the files are too large, then post a zip of the files or a link to a dropbox with the files. We are having difficulties reproducing this issue on our end, so this would be a big help.

As far as being able to progress through the main story, I am unsure of the capabilities of the IEmod, but you may be having trouble advancing the quest due to it being on the last stage, so forcing its completion may fair better. If completing the quest in that way does not work, then the main thing you need to do (again, if it is possible through the IEmod), is begin the quests "The Man Who Waits", "Through Death's Gate", and "Undying Heritage", as those main story quests are all started once you complete "Never Far From the Queen". I cannot promise your game will be in a safe state through this roundabout quest-trickery, but it may allow you to progress.

Also also, sparklecat is right. There are some cool options available if the hood is in your inventory when you are a godlike at the door.

And final question, did any dialogue appear after clearing the room with the Shrouded Woman?

I found one alternative solution but not perfect. 

save your game in other area(do not save at the temple)

open your savefile with winrar

and delete everything of 'First_Fires...' files in savefile

and close winrar. 

It make you to reset the level.

Maybe you can play nomal course(non-violent way) 

savefile located at C:/%user%/saved games/pillars of eternity

I almost played 31 hours and couldn't play anymore by the bug. 

Thanks reddit user and his friend. 

http://www.reddit.com/r/projecteternity/comments/31aef4/never_far_from_the_queen_broken_possible_spoilers/

Edited by amender

Would somebody who is experiencing this issue be able to post their save file and an output log? You can follow the steps here for instructions on how to post those files. And if the files are too large, then post a zip of the files or a link to a dropbox with the files. We are having difficulties reproducing this issue on our end, so this would be a big help.

As far as being able to progress through the main story, I am unsure of the capabilities of the IEmod, but you may be having trouble advancing the quest due to it being on the last stage, so forcing its completion may fair better. If completing the quest in that way does not work, then the main thing you need to do (again, if it is possible through the IEmod), is begin the quests "The Man Who Waits", "Through Death's Gate", and "Undying Heritage", as those main story quests are all started once you complete "Never Far From the Queen". I cannot promise your game will be in a safe state through this roundabout quest-trickery, but it may allow you to progress.

Also also, sparklecat is right. There are some cool options available if the hood is in your inventory when you are a godlike at the door.

And final question, did any dialogue appear after clearing the room with the Shrouded Woman?

savegame - http://www.filedropper.com/8f651e16-1c91-4339-85f8-44c4922b2eaeautosave

log - http://www.filedropper.com/outputlog_2

IEmod lets you complete quests, not merely advance them. It just doesn't seem to work all the time. I don't see any capability to start new quests.

To be clear, I got the hood as a firegodlike, didn't realize there was also a necessary passphrase and thought fighting was the only option after I was discovered as a spy.

I can't fully recall if there was a dialogue after the fight, as I mentioned I played for quite a while afterwards, but I'm gonna say no.

I found one alternative solution but not perfect. 

save your game in other area(do not save at the temple)

open your savefile with winrar

and delete everything of 'First_Fires...' files in savefile

and close winrar. 

It make you to reset the level.

Maybe you can play nomal course(non-violent way) 

savefile located at C:/%user%/saved games/pillars of eternity

I almost played 31 hours and couldn't play anymore by the bug. 

Thanks reddit user and his friend. 

http://www.reddit.com/r/projecteternity/comments/31aef4/never_far_from_the_queen_broken_possible_spoilers/

this worked. it totally reset the temple of woedica and i went through it the non-violent route. thank you so much!(the savegame I uploaded is before I tried this fix)

I did post what I could in my own forum thread, which got no responses. I attempted to follow those steps, but couldn't, so I put them in a dropbox file and linked that instead. I've been hoping to hear back. I did try the IE mod, but couldn't get it to even activate in game. Was as if I had never installed it. 

As for the Shrouded Woman, I do not remember well. It was a week ago that I discovered the issue, and many hours of gameplay before that when I should have encountered her. I wish I could be of more help. 

I am not playing a godlike - just a wood elf rogue. 

In the meantime, I'm back playing Diablo 3. Would rather play PoE, but the thought of restarting a game when I have a fun rogue going just makes me kinda sad :( Aside from this glitch though, the game is quite outstanding. 

I did post what I could in my own forum thread, which got no responses. I attempted to follow those steps, but couldn't, so I put them in a dropbox file and linked that instead. I've been hoping to hear back. I did try the IE mod, but couldn't get it to even activate in game. Was as if I had never installed it. 

As for the Shrouded Woman, I do not remember well. It was a week ago that I discovered the issue, and many hours of gameplay before that when I should have encountered her. I wish I could be of more help. 

I am not playing a godlike - just a wood elf rogue. 

In the meantime, I'm back playing Diablo 3. Would rather play PoE, but the thought of restarting a game when I have a fun rogue going just makes me kinda sad :( Aside from this glitch though, the game is quite outstanding. 

amender posted a work-around for the bug in this thread

If you follow the workaround steps here, you should be able to reset the area and attempt to complete the quest again. I hope that can help!

I'll give it a shot. I have a hard time even figuring out which save file is which though, so it may take me a while. My apologies for slow reply - started traveling to visit some family. Love the games, but visiting wineries kinda wins  :dancing:

Problem: My save files are *not* in the location specified in the guide. That location seems to not exist. I predownloaded and downloaded via Steam using auto settings. Going to my program files, searching "\Saved Games\Pillars of Eternity\Saves" should do it, right? 

*Edit*

The extra \Saves is not part of it. About to try playing now! It is being awfully slow to bring up the save menu and go thru loading screens... but if I can play, I'll be happy. 

Edited by Cyradis314

And... got Winrar. Found my save files. Opened using Winrar. Deleted problematic files. It won't let me extract the file or save it back into the Saves folder due to "the archive is either in unknown format or damaged" as reason. The file won't appear in saves to choose from. 

Problem not solved. Still can't progress :(

And... got Winrar. Found my save files. Opened using Winrar. Deleted problematic files. It won't let me extract the file or save it back into the Saves folder due to "the archive is either in unknown format or damaged" as reason. The file won't appear in saves to choose from. 

Problem not solved. Still can't progress :(

Do not extract files, or delete something. Rename your savefile to savefile.zip. Open savefile with winrar and then you can rename files of in-game locations inside of winrar. It reset locations to original state (before you visit them). There is 2 files for every map. Then rename savefile.zip to savefile original name.

Edited by DeN_DarK

Fortunately, I did copy the save file (and have a bunch of others suitable). 

Rename the whole thing to savefile.zip instead of just the ending on it, then? The workaround says to "Delete "First_Fires_Ruins.lvl" and "First_Fires_Ruins.fog". What should I be renaming those to in order to reset them? 

Thanks for the help - hopefully I can get it cleared up tonight. Eager to get playing again! 

It worked! The area was reset and I progressed in the general wear-hood-talk-it-out fashion! Hopefully I haven't messed up anything in Dyrford or other areas. I did *all* of the side quests that I could find that weren't related to the main quest before. 

Thanks again! *hugs*  :sorcerer:

It is a new game. I expect there to be some glitches. You guys are friendly as opposed to another game's forums where I was told to piss off by the devs, when I had spent hours seeking answers on my own and tried to be polite in typing up the problems. It is hard to solve problems when you can't lurk over my shoulder at the screen too, but being nice shouldn't be too much trouble! 

I'd rather a game be with friendly devs trying to help than a bunch of butts who don't fix anything and are mean. 

The quest is also much more interesting when I can talk my way in rather than zerg. Granted, I kinda want to slay the baddies for their loot still.... but perhaps I'll hold off this time  :cat:

Hello,

I decided to type in this topic becouse my problem is very very similar.

Quest Never far from queen - I entered with hood and did all the talking, seen 3 visions. Quests completed but none of the new 3 appear. Then on my own I went to the Heritage hill tower because, at that point I did not know there is a Undying Heritage quest located. Somehow I finished it with success and it appeared in my journal as done. Same thing with Through Death's Gate, it was not in my journal but i finished it. Unfortunately I can't complete quest in Sanitarium, no npc to talk to or no chance to open door. I tried everything from this post. Reseting, trying to kill everybody in Woedika temple, tried do it with talking again. Please help me if you can last save I have is 35 hours earlier from before Caed Nua.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i8tjdp0e125m5f2/Pillars%20Lmariachi.rar?dl=0

If that can be relevant I chose to release Maerwald's soul. Then I focused mostly on Paths beneath Caed Nua until I needed to learn new language.

Edited by Lmariachi