Your healing an buffs apply to enemies.

00zim00

Question

This might just come down to a design choice but I honestly don't know why it acts this way its extremely frustrating

Cc spells and abilities  that inflict dominated, confusion or charmed are very handy spells that I recently started using. However unlike other games like BG, they turn enemies green as if they were party members instead yellow like in the BG games. So all your healing spells, auras, chants and priest buffs you cast also apply to them.

Since I started using them I found the length and difficulty of battles to be increased. I would start a battle with a fireball or similar ability, have my priest cast the healing aura or buff while my cipher or wizard then cast a CC like mass confuse(bewildering spectacle). Only to find that all my enemies are now fully healed and buffed ready to kill me as soon as the confusion wares off. This also affects my chanters chants, and im not sure about paladin auras but I suspect its also the same.

This effectively make most CC spells a hindrance in battles. If I was to cast bewildering spectacle mid battle on damaged enemies, all it does it makes them all stronger as they are healed and buffed.

I don't get this design choice I honestly hope its a bug. Is it just me being annoyed, or am I complaining for no reason?

PS: one thing I didn't think of as well that might be important, de-buffs you cast don't apply to enemies that are confused ect. This I can sort of understand, but the other side affect as above I don't understand why its like that.

10 answers to this question

I actually agree with you. While it can be played around, healing and buffing enemies that will fight for you for around 12 seconds is really annoying. On the other hand, mind controlling enemies is incredibly powerful, so maybe it's intentional for balance reasons.

Maybe.

But I`d still prefer if they were yellow, took AoE damage as enemies and not friendly only spells.

Guest BugsVendor

Yep. Also another annoying thing in this department :

When one of your party members circle gets red for any reason and he becomes a foe for some limited time I don't understand why auto attacks focus on him rather the enemy. Every time it happens to me. I have to pause and change the attack back on the original target.

This might just come down to a design choice but I honestly don't know why it acts this way its extremely frustrating

Cc spells and abilities  that inflict dominated, confusion or charmed are very handy spells that I recently started using. However unlike other games like BG, they turn enemies green as if they were party members instead yellow like in the BG games. So all your healing spells, auras, chants and priest buffs you cast also apply to them.

I used to buff my "stole" members in BG too. I don't find this bad, it is pretty logical. The spells say "Friendly", a charmed creatures is friendly, so... It is not the best for the combat, so you must be smart.

I used to buff my "stole" members in BG too. I don't find this bad, it is pretty logical. The spells say "Friendly", a charmed creatures is friendly, so... It is not the best for the combat, so you must be smart.

no.  it's not the same thing here.  here, you don't get a choice.  if you are usign a CC buff, all confused enemies AUTOMATICALLY get your cc buff.

no, that's plain stupid.  the idea of friendly aoe spells is the caster can choose to target who gets them, that's what makes them friendly.

the OP is absolutely correct, and there is no game in all of crpg history that treated confused enemies as actual party members before this game.

it needs fixin'.

don't care about blame, care about fix.

that said, the "engine" is unity.  has nothing to do with the dabase for the game code.  all that needs to be done is identify confused enemies as still enemies.

not hard.

confused does not mean charmed.

which of course, ALSO means they need to define that charmed enemies are still enemies too.  just that you can now choose to cast positive buffs on them if you want.

if every single deve team that made a crpg before this one could do it, with far more primitive tools to work with, these guys can too.

I really doubt it was a design decision.  more likley just an oversight in programming in multiple enemy state levels.

Yep. Also another annoying thing in this department :

When one of your party members circle gets red for any reason and he becomes a foe for some limited time I don't understand why auto attacks focus on him rather the enemy. Every time it happens to me. I have to pause and change the attack back on the original target.

Presumably because auto-attacks go for the closest next enemy, which is commonly going to be your own party member in that situation.

• Like 1

no.  it's not the same thing here.  here, you don't get a choice.  if you are usign a CC buff, all confused enemies AUTOMATICALLY get your cc buff.

no, that's plain stupid.  the idea of friendly aoe spells is the caster can choose to target who gets them, that's what makes them friendly.

the OP is absolutely correct, and there is no game in all of crpg history that treated confused enemies as actual party members before this game.

it needs fixin'.

Of course I agree with "confused" enemies being still enemies, but the op is talking about Dominated and Charmed enemies too. In these cases, they MUST be buffed by your AoE spells.  

it needs fixin'.

Of course I agree with "confused" enemies being still enemies, but the op is talking about Dominated and Charmed enemies too. In these cases, they MUST be buffed by your AoE spells.  

I get where your coming from when you say Dominated or charmed enemies should still be buffed. If this was the "real world" i guess it would act that way, but it isnt, its a game. On top of that most CC effects only last about 8-12 secs where the buffs are considerably longer in comparison.

So it has to come down to balance and continuity in the game.

Either your party has no way of choosing who gets buffed or they are making a conscious decision to do so.

The fact that there abilities that effect them are Friendly only, this presumes that they do have some choice in the matter.

So, if its a simple choice, perhaps just making it an option in the menu to allow it or not would solve the problem.

If its not a choice, and as you say confused enemies are still enemies. But Dominated and charmed are not. Then there are a few things to consider.

To put this into perspective, I know this isnt DND, but POE is really trying to make there own DND rule set basically. but as far as the rules for Domination go in DND.

"Despite this condition, the dominated creature's allies remain allies, and its enemies remain enemies."

Charmed is en entire different problem, as  the DND rules dont apply to this game as its basically the same as Domination but with the effected enemies having a debuff.

If they ARE allies in every sense of the word, do we take how it works to the extreme.

Does the Chanters chants buff end early on them and stop effecting them as soon as the Dominated statue wares off, my chanter isnt going to be improving the enemies moral any more.

Does the prist buffs stop to, would my "god" want to buff my enemies, Etc

Now I know your not suggesting that, you feel that Confused shouldn't be affected by buffs but charmed and dominated should as there your allies.

In my opinion when it come down to it POE is just a game and it needs to have continuity between similar skills so as not to over complicate things.

So either we leave it as it is or change all of it

Im looking forward to other opinions on the matter but my suggested Fix would be if there is a Target spell you can buff them if you like. But AOE should be a toggle-able option in the menu if nothing else.

All I can say is: get more creative and use it to your advantage.

For example, check out the spell that takes a friendly target out of combat (and makes them invulnerable) for a 30 second duration.

Charm, buff and be happy about your new perma-CC'ed enemy. ;)

Ohh, im not complaining about combat being difficult or unfair or anything :p i know most CC are way to OP lol.

Was more just that the way it worked was a surprise when i found out about it, and was curious if it was a bug or if anyone else thought the same thing :)