Well that was disappointing (The End)

Well that was a disappointing game in the end :(

The game started off so well as well, the first few hours I thought "finally! a game that lives up to Baldurs Gate 2" and then it kind of just gets repetitive, forgetful and boring...

1) The Storyline was different and started off quite interesting but eventually just becomes wayyy too complicated that I couldn't even be bothered reading anything in the final couple hours of the game. I have no idea who that random woman is that turns up at the end and it's impossible to remember which god is which. I couldn't even tell you one of the God's name in this game, they are just so forgetful (unlike Helm, Tempest, Lloth)

If you didn't read anything in game ending it is only your problem. It is not problem of game. If you don't understand general idea of game it is your problem. Sotryline is very good. It is just not your game. Please buy GTA V. 

7) You reach max level well before the end of the game which wouldn't be much of a problem if the side quests were interesting or contained good loot at the end of them.

It is your problem again. It is RPG, without MMO-. Level-cap is not matter. Real rpg doesn't need in level, level system is just one way to implement role(class) system. But good rpg can be exist without level (xp) system at all. It is not problem for me that level-cap in this game so low. 

2) Combat is dull and too easy (on Hard mode I only recall having to re-load a couple of times) and you constantly fight the same monsters over and over. I must have killed 1000 shadows. There are no memorable battles were you actually have to plan what your tactic is going to be (i.e the enemy has an assassin who hides in shadows that I'll need to get rid of fast or a mage who you need to take down before he summons too many creatures)

Just try PotD.

Trolling?

Even if I love this game, and I don't agree totally with the OP... I think that every points here are interesting, and I can understand his point of view...

I don't agree with you. (1) pont from OP post is "I don't like story line because I didn't read anyting in last 2 hours of game". Sorry but it is ridiculous.

Edited by Dudraug

You make some good points. About #1, the problem with the gods is that they just aren't important until Act 3, aside from Eothas (who is only backstory material) and Magran. Contrast that with the Legacy, which is tied to so much in setting, atmosphere, main quest, side quests, etc. For a plot that revolves so heavily, in the end, around the gods and their followers, the game just doesn't give you the grounding you need to care.

It also doesn't help that the big reveal isn't really all that surprising in the context of typical fantasy world mythos, or comic books that draw on mythology, or hell, actual real world polytheistic religions. Had they made more of an effort to put you in the mindset of a person in the world of Eora, and not a random outsider whose frame of reference going in is Faerun or space aliens with lightning hammers, then maybe it would have been a twist.

• Like 2

Trolling?

Even if I love this game, and I don't agree totally with the OP... I think that every points here are interesting, and I can understand his point of view...

I don't agree with you. (1) pont from OP post is "I don't like story line because I didn't read anyting in last 2 hours of game". Sorry but it is ridiculous.

Personlly, for point 1), I understand somethnig else: "the story was too complicated and not interesting enough for him, so he didn't read at the end".

It was not my feeling, obliously it isn't yours... be he can have his own opinion! I think that we won't analyze it here, but... rather than insinuate that his opion looks like a stupid troll, I would find more interesting to have answers. Why exactly did it find it too complicated and/or boring? Are there other players with the same point of view? Were gods' presentation and revelations good enough for most players?

And... even for this first point, even if it's not my point of view, I can understand him:

- You make your own character past, answering questions. It's interesting, but sometimes it was weird... With simple common answers, I felt that my character was not really interesting by itself, with poor motivations. My past were bland and blurred... and the situation during the game is unknown.

It's like that during most of the game. Several times, PNJ ask you what you are doing, and you don't know. You just have some visions, so you run after a guy... and when the game is finished, then you'll have to make one choice. If you didn't realy like all side quests and stories, this choice could seem weak...

- When you get flashbacks, it was weird too. You had to answer for a previous yourself, for a situation you don't know and don't understand. You had even to create your past with your answers... again, it was interesting, but more complicated, and less powerful for the story.

- I read everything, and I liked it. But I couldn't say it was epic, or really exciting... it's a game of subtlety. (It' a quality too.) Furthermore, even if it looks complex, the main plot really stands in few words, so its is maybe artificially complicated. Yes, there is quests, but it's secondary, not depending on the main plot. (It's a quality too.) You just have to do some quests to unlock other quests, and to be able to cross some checkpoints.

(Ho! The trial impacts water level? :)

Usually you don't do quest because it seems obvious to it, you do it because you have nothing else to do... so I can understand that some players were not "in".

- It was difficult for me to remember some god's names. ;-)

Edited by chouia

If you didn't read anything in game ending it is only your problem. It is not problem of game. If you don't understand general idea of game it is your problem. Sotryline is very good. It is just not your game. Please buy GTA V. 

It is your problem again. It is RPG, without MMO-. Level-cap is not matter. Real rpg doesn't need in level, level system is just one way to implement role(class) system. But good rpg can be exist without level (xp) system at all. It is not problem for me that level-cap in this game so low. 

He didn't read the story because it wasn't interesting enough to read. And I wholeheartedly agree. The story is mediocre at best - it's a really tired spinoff of the age-old thesis that gods get their power from their believers. While they could execute this flawlessly with Mask of the Betrayer (this game is just lightyears behind in story and storytelling to that expansion) here it's just boring. It's like reskinning CoD every year - it's tiresome after a time.

No. What you are talking about are adventure games. RPGs have a huge emphasis on game mechanics and character building. A huge chunk of enjoyment comes from challenges and overcoming challenges in a complex gameplay environment in RPGs. This game however is not really mechanically complex (too few levels, too few talents, no tradeoffs, extremely rigid class system) and neither challenging (the only challenge is overcoming the extremely dumb AI and the difficulty scales only the enemy stats). Compare this - again to MotB fights - with Okku for example. That's something that's challenging. Not having 100 deflection on a shadow.

Edited by lord_wc

I found the speed at which we just accepted Iovara's statements ridiculous and rather annoying as well, especially as she was offering no proof.  My character's been a priest for potentially decades, likely grown up believing in the gods, and some random spirit tells her "oh hey btw the gods were created by the Engwithans because they couldn't find any others" and she just accepts it as true immediately?  As does everyone else?  No scepticism?

Your character is a watcher who kinda remembers believing her in the past and possibly also remembers seeing enough proof. The party was skeptical enough for my taste.

...and you didnt change anything in the world.

You got rid of the grandmaster of the Leaden Key and fixed the Hollowborn crisis? The question is, what will they do next with their presumed lack of knowledge and what will you do next with your newfound knowledge.

I quite liked the ending, especially our ability to doe with Thaos as we saw fit. How that bastard squirmed and squealed when I shoved him into a block of adra to rot for all time. Only a creature as malicious as he would deserve such a fate. 

But, there were problems I had with the ending.

1. Aloth assuming the role of the Leaden Key Grandmaster if you so much as spoke respectfully about authority. How do you go from, "maybe they should have animancers working under an official authority" to "I am going to head a secret terrorist organization responsible for untold suffering?"

2. I got the ending slide where Heritage Hill was sabotaged a second time by Leaden Key agents, all because I had not blown up the bloody tower the first time. I really had no idea what I was doing at the top of the tower, and when turning the machine off solved the problem I thought I had done the right thing. 

3. I was locked into working with the Dozens after pissing off the Doemenels and when the knights would not let me help them out with further missions because of my connection. How was I supposed to know that the "Adventurers Hall" was purely a base for revolutionaries? How was I supposed to know that you could tell the knights to not shove people's souls into suits of armor for their own convenience? When I heard the knights were working to make animats I though "well it's the Order of the Flaming Rose from Witcher 1 all over again, may as well help the Dozens." Yah, the Dozens are an unpleasant bunch to work with. 

So food for thought on my second playthrough I suppose. 

Edited by Venatio
  • Like 2

Well that was a disappointing game in the end :(

The game started off so well as well, the first few hours I thought "finally! a game that lives up to Baldurs Gate 2" and then it kind of just gets repetitive, forgetful and boring...

1) The Storyline was different and started off quite interesting but eventually just becomes wayyy too complicated that I couldn't even be bothered reading anything in the final couple hours of the game. I have no idea who that random woman is that turns up at the end and it's impossible to remember which god is which. I couldn't even tell you one of the God's name in this game, they are just so forgetful (unlike Helm, Tempest, Lloth)

2) Combat is dull and too easy (on Hard mode I only recall having to re-load a couple of times) and you constantly fight the same monsters over and over. I must have killed 1000 shadows. There are no memorable battles were you actually have to plan what your tactic is going to be (i.e the enemy has an assassin who hides in shadows that I'll need to get rid of fast or a mage who you need to take down before he summons too many creatures)

3) Nothing to spend your gold on (you end up with well over 100,000 gold in the end) which makes receiving gold for quests pointless.

4) The whole Stronghold aspect of the game wasn't needed. Does anyone actually use any of the buildings purchased there? The Wardens Office was the only building worth getting.

5) Companions are forgetful and not worth caring about. There was not one character that I cared about. I did all the companion quests but none of them really led anywhere or held any interest.

6) Side quests are very bland

7) You reach max level well before the end of the game which wouldn't be much of a problem if the side quests were interesting or contained good loot at the end of them.

Overall a very forgettable game and it is disappointing they could capture the magic of the Baldurs Gate series (but maybe it is unfair to compare to such a classic RPG)

1. Didn't have the same experience at all, knew exactly what was going on. The woman you're talking about was someone who knew the gods were fabricated by people. Imagine the threat that carries to any religion. Also: Eothas, Magran, Woedica, Hylea, Berath, Abydon...just off the top of my head, and I can remember more just not spell them properly!

2. O.o - you're complaining about the difficulty being too easy in a game that has a difficulty setting? Turn the difficulty up?

3. Lol? There's plenty to spend it on. There's lots of unique items you can buy from vendors that are actually very strong. I spent over 100k gold.

4. I like the Stronghold section of the game but I agree it wasn't integrated into the game in a meaningful way. I was hoping for something like the keep in NWN2.

5. I'll admit the companions generally weren't that strong. For me a notable exception was Durance whose personal quest/story also links into the main quest/story as well.

6. Depends on the side quest, many were good with real consequences.

7. Meh

Honestly, with cRPGs you've always had to allow yourself to be sucked in to the world somewhat in order to find meaning in sidequests etc. For example, if you don't care that a kid was shanked by 2 rapists because it's just a game then maybe cRPGs aren't for you?

You got rid of the grandmaster of the Leaden Key and fixed the Hollowborn crisis? The question is, what will they do next with their presumed lack of knowledge and what will you do next with your newfound knowledge.

Which Thaos would have fixed himself: he was done collecting souls for Woedica, and would have let the activated machines power off.  The game actually tells you this. 

And getting rid of the grandmaster unsurprisingly doesn't alter the behavior of this unbelievably stupid organization.  They mindlessly follow the commands they already have (as witnessed if you don't break the machine in heritage hill: they just reactivate it again as per standing orders).

So, while you've accidentally ended Thaos' personal role in various atrocities and genocides (by murdering him over an obvious answer), the organizations and gods he created will continue them like the mindless idiots they are.  

Edited by Voss

Which Thaos would have fixed himself: he was done collecting souls for Woedica, and would have let the activated machines power off.  The game actually tells you this. 

And getting rid of the grandmaster unsurprisingly doesn't alter the behavior of this unbelievably stupid organization.  They mindlessly follow the commands they already have (as witnessed if you don't break the machine in heritage hill: they just reactivate it again as per standing orders).

So, while you've accidentally ended Thaos' personal role in various atrocities and genocides (by murdering him over an obvious answer), the organizations and gods he created will continue them like the mindless idiots they are.  

It's incorrect that Thaos would have fixed the Hollowborn crisis. Souls being collected would have ended but the effects would have still been left behind. When you kill him you have the option to send those souls back to the bodies they were intended for, or even empower all of Dyrwood with those souls. That is a substantial change in the world either way. Also preventing Woedica from gaining ascendency seems to be a plus as the game makes it seem that her being in charge is not a good thing for mortals.

By getting rid of the grandmaster the organization has lost all strategic decision making. The Laden Key won't be the threat they have been as new orders won't be delivered. In addition if you help guide Aloth he can dedicate himself to dismantling the Laden Key.

I agree, the ending was disappointing and in hindsight the whole game was a little disappointing. Do't get me wrong, it was still a decent game, worth playing and spending my money on but it has absolutely no replay value. Most disappointing features;

*The general storyline; it started of great, then this 'soul' problem got so repetitive and boring to the point i didnt even care what i was supposed to do, defeat or correct anymore

The fortress; most useless addition ever to a rpg; i had no 'feeling' with the world as it was and just building this boring 'paper' fortress wasn't helping either. What was the point? Was it a marketing thing? Did anyone ever use it it?

*Sidequests are just run around filler assignments

On a positive note i liked the graphics, the combat, the little drawn cutscenes but in no way can this game compete with Baldur's gate(1 or 2).

The fortress; most useless addition ever to a rpg; i had no 'feeling' with the world as it was and just building this boring 'paper' fortress wasn't helping either. What was the point? Was it a marketing thing? Did anyone ever use it it?

Yes, a lot of players found that he fortress was not useful at all. I didn't use it, and it could probably be really better. However, i liked to improve it, even if it found it worthless and... far. On the other hand, it gives you money... and it's a basecamp for Endless Path. (EP was fun, but I still think that a so big dungeon at the beginning can break the experience; I got too many experience and discovered nearly all ennemies before I started to explore...)

2. I got the ending slide where Heritage Hill was sabotaged a second time by Leaden Key agents, all because I had not blown up the bloody tower the first time. I really had no idea what I was doing at the top of the tower, and when turning the machine off solved the problem I thought I had done the right thing.

Nobody's perfect. ;) I did the same mistake... but I didn't find it annoying. I had to do a choice, I knew that it was risky too keep the tower, but I didn't want to break it without knowing what it was. I did the bad choice... it's the story!

(For Dozens quest, yes, there is a problem! It was presented as an Adventurer's Hall, as you say, and everybody said to go there... could be patched, to be clearer! ;) )

Edited by chouia
  • Like 1

(For Dozens quest, yes, there is a problem! It was presented as an Adventurer's Hall, as you say, and everybody said to go there... could be patched, to be clearer! wink.png )

I'm pretty sure the first Dozens member you meet when you enter Defiance Bay tells you that he and his ilk often congregates at the Adventurers' Hall. Also, I'm sure I heard a few disparaging comments about the place from Justicars in the streets.

(For Dozens quest, yes, there is a problem! It was presented as an Adventurer's Hall, as you say, and everybody said to go there... could be patched, to be clearer! wink.png )

I'm pretty sure the first Dozens member you meet when you enter Defiance Bay tells you that he and his ilk often congregates at the Adventurers' Hall. Also, I'm sure I heard a few disparaging comments about the place from Justicars in the streets.

There is also talk from a number of merchants about expeditions into the wilds that are suppose to be launched from the Adventurers Hall. So there was some basis to believe that there were some run of the mill dungeon delving quests to be found, though in the end that is not the case. 

I am of the inclination that the Adventurers Hall was originally going to host such a functionality but then that all got shifted to the Warden Lodge at Caed Nua. 

Edited by Venatio

• 2 years later...

Necrothreadancy in its finest. So, OP's issues from 2015 are one thing, some were even resolved more or less due to patches and expanions, but my biggest disappointment for now is that there are no TWIN ELMS ending slides. I mean, come on! 

Edited by Messier-31
  • Like 1

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

Yeah, that was kind of weird.

I just finished the game, myself (only took me 170 hours spread out over 2 years) and, personally, I really enjoyed the last act. If I was disappointed by anything, it was Act II. There just didn't seem to be enough quests in the capital, and the NPC density was pretty lacking (especially considering that most of those with dialog were rubbish backer NPCs). The end-game, however, I enjoyed because there were a lot of quests with lots of dialog options w/ skill checks, lots of those little illustrated CYOA segments, and the dialog tended to be pretty interesting. 

The very, very end did feel somewhat rushed, though, yeah. No Twin Elms slides was weird, and it was also weird that the Watcher himself didn't warrant anything in the way of a slide. There's only that hint of a "long journey," but no indication of what or why that's supposed to be. It would have been nice to have some slides of the Watcher settling in to ruling over his or her little fief, using the dominant character traits (IE rational, stoic, diplomatic, etc.) to describe how he or she ruled, and maybe have some mention of the Watcher remembering his or her past (IE the player character's origin) while settling into their new life.

Also, is Zahua supposed to not have any slides? That was odd. Not as odd as no Twin Elms slides, but I imagine that if I'd kept Zahua in my party more, that absence would have been just as keenly felt.

Also, is Zahua supposed to not have any slides? That was odd. Not as odd as no Twin Elms slides, but I imagine that if I'd kept Zahua in my party more, that absence would have been just as keenly felt.

He has slides, so maybe it was a bug. Have you finished his quest?

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

I assume so. Like I said, 170 hours over 2 years, it's possible I messed up or made a mistake somewhere. But when I finished the game, I'd resolved every quest in the journal and exhausted all the dialog options with all the companions, so I assume so.

Probably has something to do with keeping the same save since release. A number of things bugged for me that, presumably, shouldn't have--like the stronghold quests, which I never actually got. I'm looking forward to starting a new game just for those, as what I've seen posted online looks really interesting (like, the little short stories--I *love* that).

I love pillars of of eternity for the huge variations with class play, party compositions, fight mechanics, art, music, voice acting (some of it), and some of the lore is great.

But honestly I have always felt like the main story is quite lacking. I find it to a well told but dull story. The story seems somewhat short and lacks depth. There is no really interesting twists and turns and its fairly devoid of any meaningful subplots.

But then again pillars of eternity 2 is coming out and that looks to have a much deeper story and longer story. 

Edited by Ymiraku

I think part of that's understandable given that it was designed to be a successor to Baldur's Gate. BG1's narrative was *extremely* simple, with much less depth, and fewer "turns." And it hit pretty much the same beats as Pillars -- bad guy shows up and does bad guy stuff, you go looking for revenge/answers, as you search for him you discover his evil plot, and finally confront him deep underground. The only real option you have is whether or not you're killing the bad guy because you want to stop his evil plot, or because you want revenge.

The bulk of the game was spent exploring large wilderness areas and completely sidequests that had little direct relevance to the main plot.

Given that BG2 was much more ambitious, I hope Deadfire will follow suit. Though I am a bit apprehensive. Most games that start like Deadfire starts tend to have the same plot--Big Bad attacks, you're hopeless overwhelmed, so you wander around the world to build power or find a special weapon, to go back and kill the Big Bad before it kills you. Pretty rote stuff. TBH that initial premise is, by far, the most unappealing aspect of Deadfire's pitch. 

And on the subject of BG1, anyone else notice the same immersion-breaking high-INT dialog as BG1? In BG1, there's an encounter with an Ogre in Baldur's Gate where you're able to talk your way out of a fight by picking several consecutive "intellectual"  dialog options that only appear if you have a high intelligence score. These options are are extremely grandiloquent, and fairly long. In terms of style, tone and length they are completely unlike any other options in the game--and Pillars does the exact same thing near the end. Really cool little touch if, as I'm assuming, it was intentional.

Tbh I always thought of BG1 story as pretty interessting. Other than Sarevok slaying Gorion you did not really know he was the ultimate bad guy (granted, which is a pretty solid hint). But you had to invest the iron shortage, the bandits and the conspiracy of the Iron Throne to find out that it is all connected. I don't know why but the moment I was told about Waidwens legacy (is it called that in the original version? i mean the sickness which leaves the children without a soul) I thought "that probably was the guy I'm after". I also loved uncovering all the string pulling in it. You went after the guy in the mines only to find out he got his orders from another guy who got his orders from another guy and so on.

Also you had the reveal of beeing a Baal child in BG, which is pretty interessting if you were into the lore a bit. All the story connecting me to Thaos ... well I never really dug into that. It seemed kinda random to me - my problem was that I could not really connect the dots between the present time and the time were my former Inquistor self hailed from. IMO they should've made that a little clearer, it seems rushed when it's finally introduced at the middle of Chapter 3.

But as you said, I think it was much more about the side quests, exploring etc. There were so many cool scenarios that made me completely forget about the main plot and just enjoy my time.

Yeah, I'm with you there. I was never all that involved in the Watcher's story--Thaos gives you superpowers, so you decide to hunt him down because maybe you might go insane one day? Not really a strong motivation. He didn't kill or kidnap anyone you (the character or the player) care about. Which leads me to Deadfire, which *seems* to have a similarly weak premise--big monster attacks you, so you have to attack the big monster back. There's no reason for the character or the player to care. The Od Nua statue is a cool visual, but that's about it.

I can't really comment on the lack of a twist in PoE, because my game had some buggy dialog which *ruined* several twists. Like I have no idea how you're supposed to figure out Thaos is the enemy you're after, because Eder just randomly told me one day. The present-day was certainly suffering from a lack of any twist--maybe something like Thaos conspiring with the Glanfathans to undermine the Dyrwood in preparation for an invasion could have worked? Then Twin Elms could have more of a Baldur's Gate feel, where you enter into the city just as that alliance is disintegrating, and you have to help the one fact of Glanfathans that don't like Thaos against the faction that still does.

That said, I did like the past-life twist---when it was revealed that you were just a random mook Inquisitor, whose soul got warped because you happened to encounter the real "hero" of that era. That was cool--the reveal that you were a spy who betrayed an old friend/teacher was neat. It just came way too late in the story to mean much (literally right before the final boss!).

Watching the documentary, it's clear there was a bit of a time-crunch, so I can understand why things weren't more fleshed out. I'm certainly hoping for better from Deadfire, as they won't have as many excuses if the narrative is lacking.

==========

Now, back to BG1... the reason why the plot was set up that way was to accommodate the player being able to go in any direction. Basiclally, there are three leads to Sarevok depending on whether you go North, East or South from Candlekeep. They all point to each other because you can theoretically encounter them in any order. (Then you go  back west to Candlekeep, which allows you to access the end game area of Baldur's Gate proper). That inter-relation maybe helped make Sarevok's plan more complex than it really was, because each region was independent. In Pillars, you only really see Thaos' plans in action in the capital, so there's no real illusion of complexity. Thaos' plans were also more mystical, which didn't really require a lot of, well, staff. This is one thing I really love about Baldur's Gate--the iron shortage is a very simple, secular thing. It makes sense from every angle, and it requires a lot of personnel which gives the player lots of opportunities to learn more about Sarevok's operation. This constantly makes it feel like you're facing off against Sarevok, even though he has virtually no screen-time. In PoE, however, Thaos is effectively absents, and he has no goons to face off against aside from that brief bit in Act 2, so it doesn't really feel like he's doing much against you. 

I suppose you could say the Hollowborn thing is similar to the Iron Crisis, but the Hollowborn problem really only affects NPCs, whereas the Iron Crisis affected both NPCs *and* the player, which made it feel more relevant.

• Like 1

Necrothreadancy in its finest. So, OP's issues from 2015 are one thing, some were even resolved more or less due to patches and expanions, but my biggest disappointment for now is that there are no TWIN ELMS ending slides. I mean, come on! 

There is a Twin Elms ending slide.  It is called ORLAN BABY!!!!

Also guys complaining about instant villain reveal... You do realize the jesus christ holy lord of all CRPG's you guys worship called BGII opens with the very first NPC you meet in the game being the villain of the game?  No kidding, the very first NPC.  So complaining about Eternity revealing the villain after a short intro segment isn't really valid.

At least I had to deal with Sparfel and the fat innkeeper first in the other two games.

Edited by Karkarov
  • Like 1

There is a Twin Elms ending slide.  It is called ORLAN BABY!!!!

Also guys complaining about instant villain reveal... You do realize the jesus christ holy lord of all CRPG's you guys worship called BGII opens with the very first NPC you meet in the game being the villain of the game?  No, the kidding the very first NPC.  So complaining about Eternity revealing the villain after a short intro segment isn't really valid.

At least I had to deal with Sparfel and the fat innkeeper first in the other two games.

As I said it was clear to me that Sarevok was the characters nemesis and probably some kind of endboss when he killed Gorion, but in no way did I know that he was behind the iron shortage, the rise of the Iron Throne and some other stuff I cant actually recall right now. But when I arrived in Gilded Vale and heard about the curse that steals child souls I was like "hm, I wonder if it had anything to do with what that baddy in a hoddy just did in Cilant Lis ... no option to talk about it? Ok ... :( "

But BG2 you're right. You see Irenicus and you know he is the ultimate bad guy. But nevertheless Irenicus is something different. He's ... well ... Irenicus :p The shattered One!