Can I play now? Or game system breaking bugs still present?

AstroCat

Question

I'll be quick.... had to start over because of all the pre-1.0.3 bugs. I don't have a ton of time these days to game but I'm really super enjoying PoE. But, I don't have time to start over yet again because of system breaking bugs.

Can I "safely" play this game now? Or should I wait for another patch? I don't mind little bugs and things but bugs that break the game systems are too much for me.

Thanks for the advice!

• Like 1

Home/Gaming PC: I7-9700K@4.9GHz/Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero/EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC ULTRA /Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB)/Corsair Carbide Quiet 600Q/Corsair RM750i/LG 32GK850G 31.5"/BenQ G2400W 24"/Sound Blaster ZX/Samsung 970 EVO x2, 850 PRO x1/Win10 Pro 64bit/Saitek X52/TrackIR5 - TrackClip Pro

17 answers to this question

I'll be quick.... had to start over because of all the pre-1.0.3 bugs. I don't have a ton of time these days to game but I'm really super enjoying PoE. But, I don't have time to start over yet again because of system breaking bugs.

Can I "safely" play this game now? Or should I wait for another patch? I don't mind little bugs and things but bugs that break the game systems are too much for me.

Thanks for the advice!

So far so good,

Mayor bugs are gone.

Yes i know, my english sux.

I saw these and got worried... i think I should probably wait, not sure how long. Maybe another patch? I don't think we have an ETA, so not sure when I'll be able to actually play.

Ugh, this happened with Wasteland 2 (They are still patching it, waiting to play), Shadowrun Returns (finally playable) and Divine Divinity (They are still patching it, waiting to play). Oh and I'm still waiting to play Dragon Age: Inquisition because of the party banter bugs, I might not ever be able to play that one.

Damage calculation bug

[bUG][1.03] Items disappear when dismissing a companion

Edited by AstroCat

Home/Gaming PC: I7-9700K@4.9GHz/Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero/EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC ULTRA /Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB)/Corsair Carbide Quiet 600Q/Corsair RM750i/LG 32GK850G 31.5"/BenQ G2400W 24"/Sound Blaster ZX/Samsung 970 EVO x2, 850 PRO x1/Win10 Pro 64bit/Saitek X52/TrackIR5 - TrackClip Pro

Oddly the patch seemed to have introduced a few new bugs of its own. Like in Raedric's Hold where some doors can't be opened.

As for the major gamebreakers, I haven't noticed them so far in my new playthrough. The stat bloat has been fixed I think, as has the double click issue that removed your passive abilities.

I'm only at Caed Nua, though (before it is turned into your stronghold).

EDIT: And yeah, the disappearing inventory is apparently still an issue. Way to go Obsidian.

Edited by Los Wackos

I've made it almost all the way through, starting pre patch, ironically I never encountered the double click bug since I always did drag and drop. IMO there is nothing "game breaking" that would prohibit me from playing. If you save often it shouldn't be too bad, the few times I have encountered a bug (in the sanitarium etc) I just reloaded and it was fine,

Yeah for sure going to wait, although I really wish I didn't have to. The game definitely appears to have too many potentially gaming breaking or corrupting bugs at this point.

Edited by AstroCat

Nope almost every bug I reported was not dealt with in the 1.03 patch. Save losses of all manner are still lurking along with item glitches and various mouse and focus problems. I touch on the still presistant an very much game destroying bugs in my review as well as many other things.

Edited by nPHYN1T3

Save 10 minutes before and after starting a main quest and you should be fine. There are some nasty plot-stoppers.

Cail The Silent- The drake coils its body protectively around something. "One day I will become a burning thing. Bright and terrible like my spark."
Quest "Cinders of Faith"

Sagani- Sagani chuckles. "Nothing against these stuffy forests, but you haven't seen the southern lights over Naasitaq."
Quest "The Long Hunt"

it's having to micromanage every day that makes this game unplayable.

you never know when a really irritating new bug is going to come up, and force you to backtrack again.

example:

yesterday I found Hiravais and decided to swap him in and durance out.  went adventuring for a while, did a bunch of quests....

get back to the keep, pull Durance out...

his inventory is missing all of the items he had, except the gear he was wearing.

the gear he was wearing had buffs to his damage resistance and his spells/rest (items from the city vendors), but those had stacked while he was in "storage", and now he has 30 damage resistance to everything, and can cast 18 spells of each level 1-3.

whee?

basically, I can't even use the console to fix this, as there aren't commands to control those aspects.  I could fix the stat boosts, since I could manually lower the stacked stats as needed, but this?

nope, it's broke.

so that means going ALL the way back to before I swapped him out for Hiravais, and lose all that time, or else just forget about him (his quest is only half done though), and move on.

so yeah... sorry, but there are still too many bugs to make this an enjoyable gameplay experience, and thats even with me using the console to try and "fix" the problems that keep occuring.

so my advice to the OP is...

wait for a MONTH at least before you try a full playthrough of this game.

hell, don't even bother experimenting with different builds for your PC, because they have also already started introducing changes to gameplay, in addition to fxing bugs, so you will never ever know when the next patch, that fixes the bugs that you've been running into, also totally screws up the build you spent so much time setting up.

yeah, Obsidian is famous for not understanding how beta testing is supposed to work, and not understanding that you fix bugs BEFORE you start messing with gameplay balance.

I have seen this in every, single, game they have ever released.

great creative talent they have; excellent writers, level designers, and artists.

very very bad technical support team in house.  they never seem to learn from past mistakes.

kinda losing faith in them as a developer, sadly, as like I said, the creative content sure is there.

what's more.... this was a kickstarter funded project, so they didn't have a publisher breathing fire down their necks and trying to force unrealistic deadlines.  They had all the time in the world to make this a smooth experience for everyone.  But, like I said, they never did seem to understand how to hire decent beta testers.

Edited by Ichthyic
  • Like 3

Yeah three is no way the game is really fully playable right now. How in the world was it even close to being playable for the review copies?! I love the game don't get me wrong but where was all the mention of how totally broken the game systems are?

Maybe after 1.0.4!?

Edited by AstroCat

Most reviewers make better more money if they kiss ass. From music to games most places keep someone on staff that can keep a straight face while praising anything. i.e. review copies don't have to work, they just have to function enough to give reviewers something to write about while not disclosing the hours they smashed their head on their desk trying to get the piece of **** to run long enough to find their review points. My review of the game probably lacks tons of features and problems because the game is too broken for me to explore more. I could/did only review what I was able to experience, which wasn't much more than dumb design issues and bugs bugs bugs.

I've touched on this "fluff" issue in the past with Metal and music "journalism" here but really most places can't keep the lights on if they slam everything with honest reviews. After a while devs and publishers won't give them access to things and then they have no content to push and they end up working at the Starbucks around the corner as their reward for honest reviews. Few years ago I gave up on reviewing music and games full time, yanked the ****ty ads from my site and now only do it when I feel like it. I don't get as much free **** from PR departments but I'm fine with that. After so many years of garbage coming across my desk I realized "free stuff" for review was like reviewing junk mail.

Edited by nPHYN1T3
  • Like 1

Nope almost every bug I reported was not dealt with in the 1.03 patch. Save losses of all manner are still lurking along with item glitches and various mouse and focus problems. I touch on the still presistant an very much game destroying bugs in my review as well as many other things.

:banghead:

Mayor bugs are gone.

Thank god they fixed the Mayor... he was such a pain in the ass before they fixed him... his VO got shreaky though... 

Divine Divinity (They are still patching it, waiting to play.

That's some dedication, waiting over 15 years. I don't think Larian has patched it in 15 years or more though, you can play it!

Thank you all... I'll be here all week :p

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee