Anti-Piracy built into game?

I purchased Pillars of Eternity on Steam upon its release (wish I had remembered to back it way back when because I totally would have paid even more). I have a friend I recommended the game to. He torrented the game, which angers me, because it was a Kickstarted project with the community in mind made by a developer studio I have a lot of respect for. I don't know why he chose to torrent this game, because he hasn't torrented any others. 

So I was wondering if hopefully this certain friend will get trolled later on in the game by some sort of anti-piracy script that prevents the game from being completed or him from going any further in the game. 

Thanks,

Albion

Yes I'm not asking for myself. Add me on Steam if you suspect, :)

I ask because he's trolling me by trying to justify his torrent and I want him to get trolled in return. But alas, I guess it sounds like that will not happen. 

You're hoping for shenanigans in the game so that your friend is punished for torrenting the game, but that seems a bit complicated to me. Just punish him yourself?

Like, every time he asks you for help in the game, give him wrong information. "Ciphers and Chanters are rubbish, don't bother with them. Only way to go is with a Rogue-only party, really, because they do the most damage with their daggers." Or "definitely complete the Endless Dungeons before heading to Defiance Bay, the game will become too difficult otherwise!"

You know, stuff like that. :)

(Or put sawdust in his cereals. I don't know. It doesn't have to be related to the game really.)

Edited by Fearabbit
  • Like 2

Haven't heard about anything like that, and this crap usually gets reported on by games media. Not that it prevents anything since pirates will just do an update to overcome such things. Wish GOG would learn from them and update their version already.

Not even AAA games with tens of millions budgets can prevent piracy. The best they've accomplished recently was a counter-measure called "Denuvo" that kept a few games like Dragon Age: Inquisition and FIFA15 un-crackable for a month or so, but eventually everything cracks, so long there are people interested (for example, Lords of the Fallen also had Denuvo and nobody cared to crack it as far as I know since it doesn't play in the same league as Dragon Age or FIFA).

Personally, I don't give a damn if you pirate EA games, they will not run out of business, and they kind of deserve it with their nick and dime policies. But your "friend" should support projects like Eternity if he really wants to see this kind of game happening in the future. Obsidian itself was pretty close to running out of business and shutting down, and that would be a real shame.

Edited by Emerwyn

Tell him people like him are the reason a good studio like Obsidian nearly went under.  I doubt it's true, but it might make him feel bad.

I mean it's because Alpha Protocol bombed out with a truckload of entirely deserved criticism after a bad job on Obsidian's end, but alright.

Edited by Urthor

gog and such make it easier to pirate I believe. And nothing will happen as his version will be identical to the one you bought unfortunately, updates and all. 

Pirated version wont automaticaly update through gog or steam.He will have to download another torrent of whole updated game or standalone update (if someone does it)

gog and such make it easier to pirate I believe. And nothing will happen as his version will be identical to the one you bought unfortunately, updates and all.

Pirated version wont automaticaly update through gog or steam.He will have to download another torrent of whole updated game or standalone update (if someone does it)
Updates are pirated as well, although it can become quite a hassle if they're released very often. Somewhere down the line a fully updated version will appear. GOG makes it trivially easy to pirate games, but of course Steam is no protection from pirates either. Curiously, despite having a DRM-free version, it was the DRM version of Witcher 2 that was most often pirated. For fame? To protest DRM? I have no clue.

Also, GOG doesn't automatically update games, so it's the same manual download for pirates and legit owners.

Edited by Rosveen

I torrent stuff all the time to try it before I buy it.

Maybe your friend just doesn't want to get burned by paying full-price for a game he isn't sure he'd like.  Because in that case, the only sane options are: a) don't buy it, and reconsider getting it when in the bargain bin b) torrent it and maybe buy it later if you like it.

Edited by Daemonjax

I torrent stuff all the time to try it before I buy it.

Maybe your friend just doesn't want to get burned by paying full-price for a game he isn't sure he'd like.  Because in that case, the only sane options are: a) don't buy it, and reconsider getting it when in the bargain bin b) torrent it and maybe buy it later if you like it.

c) try it out at a friend's house, or through Steam family sharing if possible

d) read reviews or talk to people whose taste you trust

I would prefer the developers to focus on making the game better:  Bug fixes, more quests, rebalancing, and so on.  To my mind, efforts against piracy is a waste of money and time.  That is one of the reasons why I support GOG releases over Steam editions.

Edited by Sabin Stargem
  • Like 2

Eh game is the most disappointing release since dragon age or fallout 3 depending on your leanings. Tell your friend he would be better off not inviting the sadness which will sweep over him like a tidal wave if he tries playing it. 

Tell him people like him are the reason a good studio like Obsidian nearly went under.  I doubt it's true, but it might make him feel bad.

I'd have preferred they went under right now. Then I could complain about not getting the good game I imagined this would be instead of being so upset about what I did get. Better to have a dream than for everything to taste like ash.

Everyone says that. I have talked to the people who are making the most popular mod atm. They cant even be bothered to finish the game and don't care about modding it. Maybe someone will mod it. Maybe. No one has really fixed Divinity:OS and the fact the combat is on a downhill slope. Apparently there is a somewhat popular mod for it that somewhat nerfs the CC but nothing to fix the fact the game gets steadily easier as it goes on. Dragon Age:Origins is still not modded to have interesting combat.

Give me just ONE example of a game which had similar problems to PoE which got fixed by a mod (similar type of game too. Don't bring up skyrim. I know that apparently if you spend 100 hours fixing skyrim it becomes somewhat mildly playable). If you can do that I will literally retract my statements and Edit my previous posts to read : I am an entitled and overreacting and I shouldn't bother typing in forums. My opinion is worthless. 

Since I have no reason to believe that something which has never happened before will appen again I do not feel I am overreacting at this point tbh Sparklecat. 

The Baldur's Gates.

The Baldur's Gates games started off playable. You cannot mindlessly auto attack your way through them in your first playthrough. Also the combat doesnt become ridiculously easy towards the end. Sure you can cheese BG. Sure you can trivialise the combat if you know how. You needed to work out how at least though.

Edit : in other words the BG games were interesting enough that people bothered to mod them. 

Edited by Hatred