Reduce the Loading Times...

Loading times are acceptable on my system (2xSSD in raid 0 -- maxes out sata3 controller bandwidth)

Huge problem with this is my raid 0 SSDs are not my windows drive. PoE saves games to my windows drive.

Just create a symbolic folder!  (So, move the game to your ssd drive and link a symbolic folder to it).  My friend configured his steam folder to run on another drive... so tested and true!

Loading times are acceptable on my system (2xSSD in raid 0 -- maxes out sata3 controller bandwidth)

Huge problem with this is my raid 0 SSDs are not my windows drive. PoE saves games to my windows drive.

Shouldn't really be relevant. The saves are ~3mb. Loading such a small amount of data into RAM, even from old HDDs, will take a fraction of a second.

The load times must necessarily be due to the loading of game resources.

All my loading times are like 3 seconds, only using a HDD, 8 gbs or ram and an AMD 6900 series. 

Pretty sure anyone complaining about the loading times either needs to upgrade or fix their own computer or it's a bug.

If that is the case, then I'm pretty sure it's a bug. Here are my specs:

Crucial MX100 512GB (SSD)

Core i7-2720QM (2.2 GHz)

Radeon 6770M

8 GB RAM

Windows 7 64-bit

The save file is around 3MB in size. I timed it and it takes around 15 seconds to load and around 5 seconds to save. Area transitions likewise take around 15 seconds. Unless it is doing some heavy compression/decompression under the hood, I don't understand what can be taking so long. Also, if I click through the opening screens on startup, it takes around 3 seconds merely to load the list of saves. The SSD is operating properly in all other contexts (e.g. a cold boot of Windows takes about the same time as loading a PoE game, maybe even a little less) so I think there is something wrong here.

That are the save/load times I get on my system - with a 7200RPM HDD. Shouldn't a SSD speed it up by like a lot?

All my loading times are like 3 seconds, only using a HDD, 8 gbs or ram and an AMD 6900 series. 

Pretty sure anyone complaining about the loading times either needs to upgrade or fix their own computer or it's a bug.

Yeah, loading and transitions were lightning fast for me initially as well. In my case there seems to be a little bit of a slow down the more saves I have per individual character save folder. Once a folder has maybe 25-30 saves in it, loading/transition time starts to increase a little, only for that particular character's game. It's not horrible or irksome in general - instead of 2-3 seconds it's like 5-8 seconds - but it is noticeable and starts to annoy when doing a lot of quick transitions. If I delete some saves (all in the same folder), it improves again. (i7-920, GTX-590, 7200rpm HDD that's almost empty, 12RAM).

Some people (tech forum threads) it's like 30-60 seconds, but that's not what I'm getting. Although it's possible if I had 400 saves in a single chr. folder it might start getting there, lol.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

If that is the case, then I'm pretty sure it's a bug. Here are my specs:

Crucial MX100 512GB (SSD)

Core i7-2720QM (2.2 GHz)

Radeon 6770M

8 GB RAM

Windows 7 64-bit

The save file is around 3MB in size. I timed it and it takes around 15 seconds to load and around 5 seconds to save. Area transitions likewise take around 15 seconds. Unless it is doing some heavy compression/decompression under the hood, I don't understand what can be taking so long. Also, if I click through the opening screens on startup, it takes around 3 seconds merely to load the list of saves. The SSD is operating properly in all other contexts (e.g. a cold boot of Windows takes about the same time as loading a PoE game, maybe even a little less) so I think there is something wrong here.

That are the save/load times I get on my system - with a 7200RPM HDD. Shouldn't a SSD speed it up by like a lot?

I have something similar to that.

I just wrote a quick app that loads a file into RAM and times it.

Loading the largest assetbundle (~304mb) takes about 0.17 seconds. Whatever the problem is I'm pretty sure your storage device ain't the bottleneck.

EDIT: The point is that people underestimate how fricking fast even the old spinny devices are.

Edited by Serdan

Just create a symbolic folder!  (So, move the game to your ssd drive and link a symbolic folder to it).  My friend configured his steam folder to run on another drive... so tested and true!

Thats not at all what my problem was. It matters not where your game is installed if the game decides to save to your C drive regardless. Its the single most annoying thing that game developers need to stop doing. Saved games should be stored in the games installation folder not in my documents.

Another thing that may be related to loading areas, has anyone noticed game performance degrading over time? Seems like some memory leak issue since restarting the client reverts the performance back to normal.

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/73539-performance-drop-after-a-few-map-transitions/

Edited by Justinian

In my case there seems to be a little bit of a slow down the more saves I have per individual character save folder. Once a folder has maybe 25-30 saves in it, loading/transition time starts to increase a little, only for that particular character's game. It's not horrible or irksome in general - instead of 2-3 seconds it's like 5-8 seconds - but it is noticeable and starts to annoy when doing a lot of quick transitions.

I've just tried deleting all save files not from the last day or two (after copying them to an unrelated directory, of course) and it makes no difference for loading or area transitions. It might speed up saving just a little bit (hard to tell since it's relatively quick in the first place). The only place where it makes a notable impact is in the time it takes for the "Continue" button to become available when first loading the game.

I have something similar to that.

I just wrote a quick app that loads a file into RAM and times it.

Loading the largest assetbundle (~304mb) takes about 0.17 seconds. Whatever the problem is I'm pretty sure your storage device ain't the bottleneck.

Right -- the storage is not the bottleneck, the game is doing something else... but I don't understand what. The CPU can't be the bottleneck either: mine is not the fastest, but it is not five times slower than the best ones out there so even if it is running some compression, it shouldn't be so slow.

The "problem" isn't necessarily that single loading screens are so long, it's that there are sometimes so many of them right next to each other. Resting in Caed Nua is a good example. Buying someting in a building and resting equals 5-6 loading screens and you basically only go in and out, so even 5 sec per loading screen quickly becomes 20 seconds of loading. It feels like much.

And yes, I thought the last patch made the loading times shorter.

Loading screens for me take at least 3 minutes a time.

OSX 10.1 - I don't have SSDs. I know - people like me shouldn't be allowed to play games. I should be given a cardboard box and a stick to play with and people should throw stones at me whilst shouting, "PC master race!" Then I should be beaten with a ZX Spectrum for daring to pay for a game and expect to enjoy it.

Given the design of the game constantly requires you to backtrack between maps, over and over and over, I can confidently say at least 30% of my 10 hours of play has been loading screens.

I don't even want to play anymore because of the loading screens.

I don't expect this to be fixed because it's a flaw in the design of the game. It wants to constantly backtrack between maps - over and over and over and over and over. You can't just patch over the designers of the game expecting everyone to play this with a fantastic computer.

It's just disappointing really.

I obviously don't deserve to play games.

I'm just human garbage.

Hey guys,

i am experiencing long loading times as well, but unlike you guys i dont have 25 or more save files i only have 2 on both of my characters excluding quicksave and automatic saves.

I am still playing on 1.0.2, you guys suggested to update, but will it take effect on my current save file?

I really hope to find help here :)

Has anyone tried this on a SSD vs a HDD?

I think after this playthrough I will reinstall the game on my SSD to see if that makes a difference.

Edited by Achilleslastand

Go hang your glory on the wall
There comes a time when castles fall

Hey guys,

i am experiencing long loading times as well, but unlike you guys i dont have 25 or more save files i only have 2 on both of my characters excluding quicksave and automatic saves.

I am still playing on 1.0.2, you guys suggested to update, but will it take effect on my current save file?

I really hope to find help here :)

Yes, the update would affect your current save.

There are multiple other threads on this issue; look around the forums. People who keep telling people to upgrade need to shut up, because users with entirely new PCs, using SSDs, are getting 8-10s load times, EVEN IF YOU ARE NOT. 

YOUR LACK OF PROBLEM does not mean SOMEONE ELSE DOES NOT HAVE THE PROBLEM.

Autosave seems to be one culprit, but honestly, with the super-fast PCs we have today, loading a 5MB file should not be causing these issues. Load times when starting the game - and reading the save game directory - are also way out of proportion. My time until 'continue' was available has gone way up, and I have less than 30 save game files!

• Like 1

How can anyone in their right mind try to ship a multimillion dollar product without making absolutely sure that they don't upset all their players with a degree in Medieval English Linguistics?