Possible Controller support?

Ben9902

Question

11 answers to this question

Officially? Probably not. This isn't the kind of game/GUI designed for them.

Stuff like xpadders might work to force it, tho. Don't know, haven't heard anyone mention such yet.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Maybe when the Steam controller comes out. The tracking pads on that would make that the only plausible route to support without demanding a huge effort from Obsidian. Otherwise, I hope they don't waste resources on that unless they're aiming for a console release. And even then, I hope it's not until after the expansion(s) is released.

Maybe when the Steam controller comes out. The tracking pads on that would make that the only plausible route to support without demanding a huge effort from Obsidian. Otherwise, I hope they don't waste resources on that unless they're aiming for a console release. And even then, I hope it's not until after the expansion(s) is released.

Yeah I understand that, I just require a controller to play because of my physical disability and would love to play this game.

Yeah I understand that, I just require a controller to play because of my physical disability and would love to play this game.

Hopefully the Steam controller will bridge a lot of ground for you then. I have my hopes up. The tracking pads really seem like they'll work as a viable substitute for the mouse. From the videos I've seen, it plays Civilization 5 like a charm and if that's viable most anything should be.

Huh.  Do you mind if I ask what it is that makes a controller acceptable for you but not a mouse?

Huh. Do you mind if I ask what it is that makes a controller acceptable for you but not a mouse?

Yeah dude, it's not the mouse it's the keyboard as well because I cannot use my left hand very well :)

Huh. Do you mind if I ask what it is that makes a controller acceptable for you but not a mouse?

Yeah dude, it's not the mouse it's the keyboard as well because I cannot use my left hand very well :)

Okay, cheers.  With regard to this game, you might be okay anyway; using the keyboard speeds things up, and if you can at least hit the spacebar to pause that'd probably be helpful, but in general almost all of what you do is easily controlled by the mouse.  I really only use the keyboard to pause and to hold a key to highlight interactable objects, but you can bind a key to just toggle highlight interactable objects instead.

Come to think of it, if you've got anything more than the standard two buttons on your mouse, you could bind pause to one of them.

• Like 1

Come to think of it, if you've got anything more than the standard two buttons on your mouse, you could bind pause to one of them.

This. There are only two buttons I need to use on the fly and they're Pause and Sneak. So if you can use a mouse well enough and have one with a programmable button or two, you're good to go. 

Only time you need to hit sneak so quickly you couldn't just click it, though, is if an enemy pops up unexpectedly; as an alternative, you can set the game to auto-pause on enemy sighted.  I think binding the middle mouse button (or whatever) to pause would be enough for anyone who can't easily use a keyboard.

As others have suggested, I think controlling the game entirely with a mouse would be much easier than trying to control the game with a control pad. The UI is very much mouse-based and can require decent cursor precision due to the small icons used. Battle also requires precision if you are playing in Normal difficulty and above as friendly fire is on.

I think the two functions you would need to rebind to your mouse would be pausing (space bar) and revealing interactable areas (tab). The tab function is really useful and isn't part of the UI and while the space bar function is replicated in the UI, it is vital to be able to press it quickly due to the combat system.

Many mice come with two under-thumb buttons that would be perfect for this set-up. Alternatively, you could bind scroll up/scroll down as pause and mouse 3/scroll wheel click as tab. Either way, I think you could play comfortably in this manner and not lose any control or precision to players using both keyboard and mouse. :)

Creepy and Surreal - Death Godlike PoE Portrait Pack - Last Updated 12 April 2015