Rogue & Cipher Builds for POTD Difficulty Please

Hello,

I hit Act 3 and have been loving the story but have recently decided to re-roll for a greater challenge and all custom-party.

For my party makeup I was thinking:

Tanks:

Fighter

Chanter

Melee DPS:

Barbarian

Rogue

Ranged DPS:

Priest

Cipher

Is this setup viable or should I slot a Wizard in somewhere?

I know how to build all of these classes with the exception to Ciphers and Rogues, I have seen many builds for these characters but never found the ones best for POTD.

For Cipher I am hearing light armor and arquebus gun dps is the way to go, I need stat recommendations.

For Rogue I was thinking Medium or Light Armor with dual maces to complement the dual sabres on my barbarian. Max Might and Dex, what else?

One idea I have been toying with is removing my Fighter, adding a Wizard, and then having one of my other Melee characters slightly tanky.

Any tips would be appreciated!

Hello,

I hit Act 3 and have been loving the story but have recently decided to re-roll for a greater challenge and all custom-party.

Tanks:

Fighter

Chanter

Melee DPS:

Barbarian

Rogue

Ranged DPS:

Priest

Cipher

I know how to build all of these classes with the exception to Ciphers and Rogues, I have seen many builds for these characters but never found the ones best for POTD.

For Cipher I am hearing light armor and arquebus gun dps is the way to go, I need stat recommendations.

For Rogue I was thinking Medium or Light Armor with dual maces to complement the dual sabres on my barbarian. Max Might and Dex, what else?

One idea I have been toying with is removing my Fighter, adding a Wizard, and then having one of my other Melee characters slightly tanky.

Melee DPS characters suck pretty bad on PotD, they are inherently flawed for this difficulty. Essentially, if you move your barbarian or rogue out of place ONCE they are going to get fried.

Hello,

Tanks:

Fighter

Chanter

Melee DPS:

Barbarian

Rogue

Ranged DPS:

Priest

Cipher

Melee DPS characters suck pretty bad on PotD, they are inherently flawed for this difficulty. Essentially, if you move your barbarian or rogue out of place ONCE they are going to get fried.

Barbarian can handle the heat but I am thinking of swapping rogue for wizard to solve this.

I'm finding that using spellcasters (cipher, priest) with the "Very Slow" weapons isn't a great idea if you want them to cast spells quickly. If they are in the middle of recovering from a shot, you have to wait the whole recovery time (but not the reload) before the spell will begin to cast. Or at least, that's how it seems to work to me.. anyone know for sure?

Anyway, I'm using Hunting Bow on my cipher. It allows quick spell casting while doing ranged dps. Combined with that wizard spell that does aoe damage when a target takes hits (Combusting Flames? I think), and Cipher paralyse for almost guarenteed crits it's working pretty well anyway.

I don't think I ever used my priest as a DPS. Just a buffer, debuffer, and a support type thing.

I would say to make your rogue ranged. That's not to necessarily say that a ranged rogue does more damage or is better, but it's certainly easier. You're going to have a lot of things to worry about and even more distracting you while you're playing a PotD run; it's best to minimize the noise and just let a rogue auto attack and do its thing without having to worry about "OH GOD HE RAN INTO THREE PEOPLE" etc etc.

Barbarian should be fine. Use a two-hander for the same reason you'd use a bow on a rogue -- it's less to micromanage. With a two-hander, you don't have to pay attention to whether or not your barbarian is doing damage with his current weapon type. In general, a barbarian with a two hander is going to do enough damage that you don't have to worry about using certain weapon types. You have to be careful with him for similar reasons that you have to be careful with a melee rogue, but he should be much more resilient than a rogue would be up close.

In terms of a Cipher? Max might and have high dexterity and intelligence. It's hard to pick a bad spell with them, so just choose what you find most appealing.

• Like 1

You want the minimum amount of characters in melee combat because of the difficulty and amount of incoming damage.  Your chanter and Fighter are already going to be taking crazy amounts until they level up.  Honestly, I would switch things around a bit.

2 Fighter tanks in front.  Chanter switched to gun chanter for the chant that gives faster reload and attacks.  That way it'll give your ranged DPS more attacks and the cipher more focus which in turn = more spells.  Arbalest or Gun Cipher.  Arbalest or Gun Priest, you can make good use of the buff/debuffs but also the wards they can place on the ground which are long range AOE trap equivalents.  You can also place them in combat on top of your fighters.  Very high damage and interesting effects.  I'll leave the last slot open but there's options here...  Paladin for the aura that gives +accuracy, +crit and various support stuff including a per encounter REZ.  Paladin is a kill steal class, it's designed to last hit opponents and give massive benefits from doing so.  Mainly, high amounts of Endurance in an area of effect around them to all allies.  Or you could go for a rogue, sneak attack pumping out damage as well as a character which can get a high mechanic skill easily which will provide you with detection/recovery of traps.  Make it a ranged rogue to gain the benefits of the chanter.  

Here's some guides:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGSnd6gOXMgFuKvNXXFXZsw

The guy knows what he's talking about.

• Like 1

You want the minimum amount of characters in melee combat because of the difficulty and amount of incoming damage.  Your chanter and Fighter are already going to be taking crazy amounts until they level up.  Honestly, I would switch things around a bit.

2 Fighter tanks in front.  Chanter switched to gun chanter for the chant that gives faster reload and attacks.  That way it'll give your ranged DPS more attacks and the cipher more focus which in turn = more spells.  Arbalest or Gun Cipher.  Arbalest or Gun Priest, you can make good use of the buff/debuffs but also the wards they can place on the ground which are long range AOE trap equivalents.  You can also place them in combat on top of your fighters.  Very high damage and interesting effects.  I'll leave the last slot open but there's options here...  Paladin for the aura that gives +accuracy, +crit and various support stuff including a per encounter REZ.  Paladin is a kill steal class, it's designed to last hit opponents and give massive benefits from doing so.  Mainly, high amounts of Endurance in an area of effect around them to all allies.  Or you could go for a rogue, sneak attack pumping out damage as well as a character which can get a high mechanic skill easily which will provide you with detection/recovery of traps.  Make it a ranged rogue to gain the benefits of the chanter.  

Here's some guides:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGSnd6gOXMgFuKvNXXFXZsw

The guy knows what he's talking about.

Wow, thank you for giving me all the information I need at my fingertips.  I spent hours today researching and creating my party build spreadsheet.

Some updates:

Melee:

Fighter -Duh spec lol (slightly nerfed con for better damage mitigation)

Barbarian - Dual Wield Sabre, Medium Armor, Maximum Carnage AOE (high int, might, dex)

Chanter - Tank/Summon spec - 1H & Shield, Heavy Armor (high res, per - balanced stats)

Ranged/Support:

Priest - Lightest Armor possible with DR, Arquebus (Auto-cast is off) (high int, dex, might) - buffer and ranged dps

Cipher - Fast Atk Spd Bow (looking into a gun possibly, blunderbuss for the 8 hits?), Lightest Armor with DR (max might and dex)

Wizard - CC oriented build, details still being planned.

-I have seen many DW Barbarian builds with sabres before the buff last patch I really want to try this build

Let me know if this makeup is more viable or if you have tips.

Thanks for the input everyone!

I think the most straightforward potd party is 2 tanks+4 casters. non-casters are inferior and 1 tank is really hard to make work in a conventional sorta way.

so just pick whichever 4 casters u like, tho, more conventionally probably make at least 1 a priest.