Hey gona help you with one here : Pistol , The Dissapointer - in Tutorial Map ( Encampement ) Your character needs to start with 1 Mechanics , its in a camp past the river in hidden stash ( you need to be in stealth mode to find that and you need mechanics )

You either can sell this to NPC vendor in tutorial map for 750 c ( do this before **** goes down tho because other vendors wont pay this much for it) or you can keep it and try to find ingredients for a proper enchantment asap because this weapon is a true dissapointment and comes with enchant called "terrible"

The Disappointer no longer sells for 750. Now it sells for its listed value, after 1.03.

Not counting the ones you can buy from merchants:

Whispers of Yenwood - Od nua - you mentioned this one

Larder door - shield - Bash - reward a quest in gilded vale (sorry forgot which one)

Gauns Share - Flail - Catacombs in Defiance Bay -  Draining, 30% graze-to-hits, fine

Aatuuk - Dagger - Reward for killing the animancer who took the lords daughter in dyrwood - Exceptional, 10% crit, 5 accuracy

Tidefall - Greatsword - Secret, found in the pile of gold of the dragon Cilent in the Fiery Pools (needs 8-9 mechanics to find) - Superb, DOT, Draining

Leadspitter - Quest reward for killing Ogre in Dyrwood from Rumbald

Just wanted to add that Tidefall needs 10 mechanics to find. That is on POTD.

2 useful things really early game that can help make things easier

might not be weapon but u can get a plate armor right when u get into guilded's vale by killing the backer standing near the entrance to eothas. There are nobody (other then some kid who doesnt seem to care) near him to witness you murder him so there is no rep loss/people turning hostile. Really useful early game for dealing with wolf and boar packs.

also a free pistol for killing the fire godlike at madmr bridge if u dont want to waste enchants on dissapointer or want to sell it for gold

I think all you have to do for tidefall is get to the stronghold and take out Maerwald. Then go directly to that cave and clear it out. Seems pretty early in the game to me.

You might be able to reach that area by level 3 (same as dyrford btw), but whether you'll survive the inhabitants is another matter entirely...

• Like 1

...weapon quality... scale with the level of your party, don't they?

No they don't. They always provide the same bonuses even if you grab them as early as a level 3. Hence why some of the items in here are very powerful early game if you manage to get them early on. The Sanguine Plate for example is considered a core acquisition in many solo/challenge run.

You can read more here: http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Crafting

Even if you kill the dragon at level 1 you need lvl10 mechanics for the sword.

I always make a rogue companion that I pump mechanics into. I think they can get about 8 mechanics by level 3. Plus another 2 from resting bonus.

I think all you have to do for tidefall is get to the stronghold and take out Maerwald. Then go directly to that cave and clear it out. Seems pretty early in the game to me.

Good luck with that :D

I struggled to clear the vicinity of the cave at lvl 6...

(It depends on difficulty settings though)

U can grab and abuse the figurines as soon as act 2 start and make your way to tidefall if you want it early. It wont be easy especially on potd difficulty.

the shade and beetle figurines are available for free as soon as you can step foot in defiance bay. THere are also a couple more for sale.

the shade figurine is at the vallian embasy in first fire (locked chest 8 mechanics)

the beetle figurine is in a hidden cache near the theater in copperlane

There's a fine arbalest in anslog's compass, and  Kana comes with an arbeques that you can transfer to whoever needs it more.

I just got a fine crossbow from the location where I was used to get the fine arbalest. Was it patched by 1.03 or is it random?

Probably random.

Yep.  First time in the Compass, I got a Fine Pistol.  My second character had to make do with a Fine Wand.

I think Hearth Harvest is pretty good, hatchets give +5 Deflection anyway and it's also rending to bypass some DR - very nice for a tank. You can find it just before act II in NW Woodend Plains. For my current character I'm considering upgrading it to superb and using it all game.

A note on The Disappointer - the "Terrible" enchantment is actually of the line "Fine/Exceptional/Superb"; because of this you can use it as a means of getting a fine pistol very early game (it's not hard to obtain ingredients for a fine enchantment) which completely erases the drawbacks of the terrible enchantment.

Besides, if you have a Wood Elf or someone with WF: Ruffian it's still decent even with Terrible very early game.

By the way I noticed an earlier post in the thread placing the flail "Gaunn's Share" in the defiance bay catacombs, but it's actually in the Temple of Eothas found in Gilded Vale.

That was me, and yup you´re right i misremembered.

By the way, if you aren´t playing on a very hard difficulty, have a rogue, you can actually get Tidecaller 2h superb sword very early by going to the pools of fire. The dragon isn´t that hard to beat, but you need like 9-10 mechanics to find it. Still, it´s one of the best 2h in the game. Just