Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

So is this game actually good?

Poll Game quality

• Please log in to reply
209 replies to this topic

Poll: So is this game actually good? (466 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you feel like you got hosed by buying this game?

1. Yes I did and I'll tell you why! (28 votes [6.01%])

Percentage of vote: 6.01%

2. Yes I did and I'm too scared/confused/angry to tell you why! (30 votes [6.44%])

Percentage of vote: 6.44%

3. No! I feel I paid about what the game is worth! (186 votes [39.91%])

Percentage of vote: 39.91%

4. No! I feel I didn't pay enough for such a fine game! (222 votes [47.64%])

Percentage of vote: 47.64%

Vote Guests cannot vote

wanderon

wanderon

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1274 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

I pledged about 3 times what I might have spent on a single copy for  2 copies - beta access and some fluff and would cheerfully do so again to get another game of this style & quality - the game exceeded my original expectations on almost every level!   :thumbsup:  :yes:

Osvir

Osvir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3799 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I love it and I feel I paid enough, and would pay more, and would support another Kickstarter or a sequel.

But I have a current gripe with it...
- Restarting a new game could be more ease-of-use. Having made some 20, probably 25, recreations, going through the Prologue over and over and over again... doesn't feel as efficient as it could be.

- After having created a lot of characters now.... Character Creation could've been better. Something I brought up in the past (December 2014). EDIT: Darn, I removed it from my dropbox lol, oh well (Compressed all of the Character Creation screens in one screen).

That's pretty much it. Yeeep. Totally waiting for that "Skip Prologue" Mod.

Edited by Osvir, 05 April 2015 - 10:50 AM.

Wulfburk

Wulfburk

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 36 posts

Best new game i played for the last 4 years 

RedSocialKnight

RedSocialKnight

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 248 posts
  • Steam:redsocialknight
  • Kickstarter Backer

It's completely freaking me out that the poll options are not meaningful answers to the question in the subject line.

Q: Is it fun?

A: Yes, I did.

[redsocialknight's brain]: AAAAA THE WORLD MAKES NO SENSE

Yellow Rabbit

Yellow Rabbit

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 206 posts
Negativity on forums is rather deceptive thing. People having nothing to complain about don't go to forums, they spend time actually playing the frigging game :)

Anyway, I'll go by points from your OP trying to give my vision on them.

- The story is weak
Story lacks epicness, true, and people loving BG may find this to be a weakness. Writing is pretty decent, though.

- The classes are either too balanced (from the chans) or not balanced enough (here)
Some classes (howdy, wizard!) seem to have problems on concept level, balancing skills/stats around isn't going to help them. Others are fine, imo.

- The game's too easy
Depends on who you ask. It was basic complaint about BG and IWD as well - game either too easy or too hard.

- The game's system sucks
It's a little clunky, but considering that this is first working (presented to public, anyway) sample of ruleset hastily built up for the game - it's great! I'm sure it'll be improved in sequel.

- The characters are lame
They're neither really colorful nor loud, unlike their counterparts from BG series. Doesn't make them lame. Some of them are pretty interesting personalities, actually, feel like living people.

- Too much voice acting
Yep. Or, rather, it's mixing pretty badly with text descriptions and ends up distracting instead of mood setting.

- Weak ending
Nope.

Too small world
- Comparing to BG2 - absolutely. But it really isn't appropriate comparison.

- Too few quests
Quests are plenty, but majority of them are secondary, and that makes balancing xp on crit path a tough job to do.

- Choices don't matter
They do, but not as often as I'd prefer.

- The music sucks
The music is awesome! ...for the first 5... okay, 10 hours. After that you're gonna remember about sound sliders in menu.

- The writing sucks
Again, depends on who you ask. Some people seem to have hilariously opposing images of what is a good writing.

- The keep sucks
I liked the feeling of building it up and making thrive, so there's that. Mechanically and gameplay wise, yes, it sucks. A lot.

- The "endless" dungeon sucks
It's a dungeon crawler in miniature. It supposed to do exactly what it does.

That said, I thought I'm past period when you play games through all night thinking "just 10 more minutes and enough for today", but Pillars of Eternity proved me wrong. Absolutely loving it!

Luckmann

Luckmann

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3497 posts

No, I feel I paid what the game is worth.

Which is to say, I actually didn't pay anything.

But more to the point, either way, to answer the topic, yes, the game is actually good. The reason you are seeing people upset over A, B and C is that the game does have some significant issues, and people naturally have a tendency to discuss issues instead of non-issues, simply because when something isn't a problem... why would they discuss it?

But yes, the game is good. Great, even. In some regards I would go as far as to say that it's amazing. This easily gets lost in the discussions, but the game is actually quite good.

Obsidian has made some highly questionable decisions in the past week, which begs the question as to which direction the game  or franchise will take in the future, but there is a tremendous potential in the basic game itself, and it ultimately could go either way, but there is definitely something here, and the game itself is definitely good, yes.

Daemonjax

Daemonjax

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 344 posts

The game is really good, and definitely worthy of at least two playthroughs on hard (once as a dps character and once as a tank for different starting attributes).  After that I'd wait for the mod-scene to develop further.

The artwork is definitely top-notch and inspired, and the same goes for the voice-acting that's present.

I'd definitely pay the same price again for a worthy sequel/expansion.

Edited by Daemonjax, 05 April 2015 - 11:07 AM.

Atheosis

Atheosis

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 295 posts

I feel bad for people who can't enjoy such an awesome game. 

• Gallenger likes this

barakav

barakav

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 205 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I think that this game is awful because there aren't any toilets anywhere..

And you can't sit or walk or even dance like in MMOs .And you need to save in case your charecter will die, and it doesn't have a first person shooter mode ,and you have to read like a stupid nerd, and the devs are transphobic lunatics who let all kinds of psychopaths murder children while playing this darn thing ,it's too violent...

And as usual those 10% that hate this game and mostly for stupid reasons are those who make most of the noise in the forums.

(Of course some posters do present some good criticism)

Edited by barakav, 05 April 2015 - 11:22 AM.

Volourn

Volourn

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 17067 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

"People having nothing to complain about don't go to forums, they spend time actually playing the frigging game original.gif"

That's weird.  The reason I originally started going on the net and posting on forums is ebcause I played BG1 and enjoyed it and wanted to share that with others who liked the game.  Over a decade, I've become more bitter, cold, and evil. :D

"I feel bad for people who can't enjoy such an awesome game."

And, they likely feel bad for people who can enjoy such a crappy game.

\

OMGZ! People like different things than you! OH NOES!!!!!!!!!!

• iLurk and barakav like this

Holofaust

Holofaust

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 14 posts

The results of this poll are hilarious and only serve to illustrate that a very small minority makes up the vast majority of discontent on this forum. People love to bitch. Here I am bitching about people bitching.

Tigranes

Tigranes

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 10491 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Every time new game comes out and hundreds of thousands / millions of people buy it, you get all kinds of complaints about every imaginable thing. No one person can ever hope to even understand what many of those complaints even mean, and many complaints directly contradict each other. 

Zidster

Zidster

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 34 posts

Haha, I was really shoked when I voted with "yes" and saw the huge number of "NO!!!"'s popping up... it was then that I realized the question in the poll is actually different from the one in the thread title ;) but anyways, here's why I love PoE

The world is fun to explore, with great quest and decent companions. Even though I'm feeling pretty unchallenged by it on hard, I'm quite happy with the combat system and having fun and challenge on my second playthrough Path of the Damned, too (even though I play it more like I played BG, which means to reload when a character drops).

I like that the story really focuses on two things, the curse of Waidwen and the status of the player character, which is better than a story that tries to include so many things.

What I didnt like so much was the magic system in general. It's no fun that every spell and skill ends after such short time, like confusion for example. What I really liked about BG was that you had to negate it or defend it somehow, otherwise it could pretty screw you up... in PoE I never had to worry about those things so far (on hard mode) because they all ran out eventually. Im really looking forward to some balance overhauls, which make magic for both player and enemies much more vicous.

Volourn

Volourn

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 17067 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

The same thing can be said about why people like certain games. 'I like it because of the atmosphere.' (l0l). I like it because I can have sex with dogs. 'I only enjoy games where I can mass murder kids.' 'The best game is one where you can play a gay character' (nothing wrong with that but it's as dumb as saying 'I like games where I can play heterosexual characters only'.

In essence, people are varied and varied tastes.

barakav

barakav

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 205 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

The same thing can be said about why people like certain games. 'I like it because of the atmosphere.' (l0l). I like it because I can have sex with dogs. 'I only enjoy games where I can mass murder kids.' 'The best game is one where you can play a gay character' (nothing wrong with that but it's as dumb as saying 'I like games where I can play heterosexual characters only'.

In essence, people are varied and varied tastes.

In which game you can have sex with dogs ??!!

Tell me I have to know!

Haha, I was really shoked when I voted with "yes" and saw the huge number of "NO!!!"'s popping up... it was then that I realized the question in the poll is actually different from the one in the thread title ;) but anyways, here's why I love PoE

The OP is a troll for doing it ,if  he hasn't done it ,there should have been only 2 votes for the "bad game" options  and not 8.

Edited by barakav, 05 April 2015 - 11:39 AM.

Volourn

Volourn

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 17067 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Just a random thought. Dunno if a game allows it but I do know games that allow sex with sheep and other critters. :p

• barakav likes this

barakav

barakav

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 205 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Just for the laugh which game lets you have sex with sheep? :w00t:

• ruzen likes this

PrimeJunta

PrimeJunta

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4900 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Just for the laugh which game lets you have sex with sheep? :w00t:

Arcanum.

• Volourn, barakav and ruzen like this

barakav

barakav

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 205 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Probably the only classic RPG I never played. Now I have to play it...

Edited by barakav, 05 April 2015 - 11:56 AM.

PrimeJunta

PrimeJunta

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4900 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

There are better reasons to play it than that.

It's horribly broken but still awesome. I found playing as a technomancer/gunslinger most rewarding -- hunting for schematics and crafting all kinds of contraptions from junk, while trying to stay solvent when every bullet cost serious money was great fun.

Magic is utterly broken and the game loses all challenge extremely quickly. Throwing weapons are similarly broken. And if you make a "talky" character you can get through the whole thing without getting your hands dirty, but you'll barely gain any XP.

I really wish they'd do a spiritual successor with at least halfway sane mechanics. Eora in about 200 years, after someone invents the steam engine, printing press, and railroad would be just about perfect.

• Fearabbit and barakav like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Poll, Game quality

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users