466 members have voted

1. 1. Do you feel like you got hosed by buying this game?

• Yes I did and I'll tell you why!
    • Yes I did and I'm too scared/confused/angry to tell you why!
    • No! I feel I paid about what the game is worth!
    • No! I feel I didn't pay enough for such a fine game!

It's a very good game.

Like most Obsidian games it slowly sinks it's claws in me, unlike the instant "wauw" I used to get from Bioware. Back when Bioware made good games. But when Obsidian's games grab hold, they stay with me for a long time. Mask of the Betrayer was easily the best CRPG since BG2. Fallout: New Vegas was a Tour de Force.

I expected it to be like that, and now... well into second act.... I'm hooked!

A few things I could do without. Stronghold, crafting and pointless backer NPCs. The NPCs can be ignored but the silly names many of them have are irritating. When patch 1.05 is released, I'll give the IE mod a go. But, am I pleased? You bet I am. :)

Edited by TMZuk

i am enjoying the game and am REALLY glad i backed it.  i can see myself doing a ton of playthroughs.  i might even do path of the damned at some point.

to be fair though.. there ARE some things that could use improving:

that pathing.. seriously, how many times did you direct your guy to attack an enemy and they started playing ring around rosey on the map for 5 min before stopping and finally attacking.  its actually kind of hilarious when the AI does it :)

sorting at shops.. there is none.  yes, you can click on various icons and stuff gets HIGHLIGHTED (i.e. click on the armor button.. armor is highlighted.. click on potions.. potions are highlighted).. but thats it.  when i click on the armor button.. i expect to see.. well.. armor.  not pistols, potions, and camping supplies.

hirelings.. the UI for the hirelings is terrible.  once you hire them, they almost always have an "unpaid" status and if they are a "guest".. the label saying as much can be cut off.  it just looks bad and its not intuitive. 

make the adventures you send companions on worthwhile.  if not through gear.. at least in lore.  maybe through a journal entry or something.  as it stands, i see no real advantage in sending my companions out.. it just makes them unavailable.. yes, i can recall them.. but if i do that, whats the point of the adventure? 

these are really just minor gripes though.. the game overall is actually a gem, and i cant wait to see where the obsidian takes the game next.

It's a great game, but if I have to hear Eder tell me he's slowly dying of poison a few more times, I might be tempted to uninstall.

for me its sagani saying "Ichimok, leave the pig alone!" :)  it was fine the first couple times.. but for me, it happens almost every time they leave a building.

sorting at shops.. there is none.  yes, you can click on various icons and stuff gets HIGHLIGHTED (i.e. click on the armor button.. armor is highlighted.. click on potions.. potions are highlighted).. but thats it.  when i click on the armor button.. i expect to see.. well.. armor.  not pistols, potions, and camping supplies.

Jesus, yes, and the same goes for the stash.

I actually like the "realistic" loot system with enemies dropping the actual equipment they were using, but does create a mountain of five-copper items to deal with. If you are giving us unlimited storage that will very soon be stuffed with hundreds of identical hats, for god's sake stack the identical hats, or at lest group them all together so we can sell them all at once.

• Like 1

DID YOU KNOW: *Missing String*

Poll: So is this game actually good?

Do you feel like you got hosed by buying this game?

Way to make a poll needlessly confusing by phrasing the thread title and poll title antithetically... :getlost:

Edited by Ineth

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell

The story is great

The classes are well balanced for the most part

The game's difficulty range is pretty good and the combat ai/design is pretty challenging (at least to me, on PotD, without any barb/cypher cheese)

The game's system is new, well thought out and pretty intricate for a homebrew

The companions are great, though some of them are clearly more interesting than others

Voice acting is good

Ending is good, only Act 3 felt a bit lackluster

World is big enough for 50 hours of playtime on first playthrough

Quests are plenty

Choices do matter

The music is great

The writing is superb

The keep is a nice touch

The "endless" dungeon is great

Balance some of the classes (barb, cypher, chanter), introduce some ease-of-use features and the game gets 10/10 from me

While I am a bit disappointed with how Pillars turned out, I don't regret a cent I spent to back PE. Moreover I would certainly do it in the future if Obsidian decides to crowdfund again.

It's interesting, because there's two very different issues going on here. The game itself, and the Game's model.

PoE could have been a complete piece of unfinished, broken crap, and I'd still 1) not regret funding it, 2) eagerly fund the next game like it.

I like the Infinity Engine style games. The whole party-based, RTwP, Iso-view, hand drawn 2d backgrounds, with several classes and races and strong emphasis on classic gameplay is a GOOD Formula for an RPG. And the Genre itself can only benefit if more of these types of games were made. So at this point, whether I loved PoE or not is completely irrelevant. Because my only wish now is for PoE to sell so well that it makes other gaming studios want to copy cat.

Edited by Stun
  • Like 2

I can't really pick an option in the poll.

So far I've enjoyed the game.  I'm not done with it, though.

That said, like Stun I like the concept of party-based, isometric class based games.  And so I'm happy to have supported this games existance and to have supported my favorite game developer in the process.

Since I was really keeping my expectations low (ie I wasn't expecting Baldur's Gate III) I find a lot to like in PoE.  Is it perfect?  No.  But I've been playing it for some time and enjoying it, so perfection is kind of irrelevant.  There are good and bad things and I'd support another PoE style game (or sequel) from Obsidian in the hopes that the good stuff will continue and the bad stuff be fixed.

Edited by Amentep
  • Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I'm with Stun. Because there's more going on here, and at stake in the wider picture, than point 'x' or 'y' about Pillars of Eternity (which, one day, I am confident will be patched to the point where I'll genuinely enjoy the combat).

I think we'll see games, maybe smaller, maybe bigger, inspired by what Obz has achieved with Pillars. That's one of the reasons I don't regret backing it at all.

• Like 1

sonsofgygax.JPG

I care more about the story, and I think Pillars is a great opening chapter to Eora, they've introduced all elements of Eora perfectly, from reincarnations to the pantheon.

However I think the writing can be very confusing, I find myself scrolling back and forth to previous paragraphs often, and the weird hard-to-spell names and its sheer amount don't help.

I seem to fare much better on Obsidian's previous games like KOTOR2, Mask of the Betrayer, Alpha Protocol, or New Vegas, but I'm not a native speaker, so my opinion on this might be invalid :)

Edited by exodiark

Game is not a successor to the IE games. The entire premise of the kickstarter campaign  was false. Maybe the game is fine for people who don't want that. It was sold as something it isn't though. Pretty disappointing for anyone who actually did want a modern day BG2. Its over 2 weeks since launch and I am still whining on forums instead of playing the game. This is literally the last product I will ever buy from a big name developer. /sigh. Going to go play FTL now. Its more of an IE successor. At least it has meaningful RTwP combat, even if it is spaceships fighting each other and a roguelike and ....still more like BG2 than PoE is.

Game is not a successor to the IE games. The entire premise of the kickstarter campaign  was false. Maybe the game is fine for people who don't want that. It was sold as something it isn't though. Pretty disappointing for anyone who actually did want a modern day BG2. Its over 2 weeks since launch and I am still whining on forums instead of playing the game. This is literally the last product I will ever buy from a big name developer. /sigh. Going to go play FTL now. Its more of an IE successor. At least it has meaningful RTwP combat, even if it is spaceships fighting each other and a roguelike and ....still more like BG2 than PoE is.

Always refreshing to see people write elaborated and well reasoned statements that really contribute to the discussion and enlighten everyone involved by giving clever insights

I love it myself. Would gladly pay AAA price for it. 

Id rate PoE at 8.5 and Dragon age Inquisition at 7.5, though I think Witcher 3 will beat them both.

Dragon Age is like failed single player world of warcraft clone , we played this game 10 years ago online with atleast 20 other people in your party why bother with DA:I

Always refreshing to see people write elaborated and well reasoned statements that really contribute to the discussion and enlighten everyone involved by giving clever insights

Pot calling the kettle black much. I could write an essay or I could just say the game didn't do what it promised and that has left me sour. If for some reason you actually do want some essay length arguements followed by massive threads of discussion I could link you that kind of thing. Or you could just google it yourself.

Well just in case you aren't a troll here is one of the better (and much better written than anything I could write) ones which I agree with to a reasonable extent : http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/my-collected-criticism-on-pillars-of-eternity-very-minor-spoilers.98295/

Edited by Hatred

Pot calling the kettle black much. I could write an essay or I could just say the game didn't do what it promised and that has left me sour. If for some reason you actually do want some essay length arguements followed by massive threads of discussion I could link you that kind of thing. Or you could just google it yourself.

Well just in case you aren't a troll here is one of the better (and much better written than anything I could write) ones which I agree with to a reasonable extent : http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/my-collected-criticism-on-pillars-of-eternity-very-minor-spoilers.98295/

Well, ive no doubt you could write an essay on what, in your view, constitutes a spiritual successor to IE games but thats entirely besides the point.  Because what you think makes a game "IE like" might not be the same for others.

If for example some people just wanted the atmosphere, hand drawn 2d backgrounds, top down iso RPG like the old IE then thats what they got.  It is similar to the IE games in all those areas.  If you wanted a combat system which is very similar then you were likely disappointed because it does not seem to be that way.  Maybe there are other "not IE like" aspects to the game but I haven't played enough to comment yet.

Many of the people critical of the game still like it. They are often discussing what's wrong with the game to help identify how the game can be improved in the expansion. There is after all, little reason to discuss what's working well.

I personally really like PoE, but I could see why some one could see many of my statements and think that I hate it. I've said it before, and I'll say it again:

PoE is a 4/5. That's a good game. Looking forward to the expansion.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

Well, ive no doubt you could write an essay on what, in your view, constitutes a spiritual successor to IE games but thats entirely besides the point.  Because what you think makes a game "IE like" might not be the same for others.

If for example some people just wanted the atmosphere, hand drawn 2d backgrounds, top down iso RPG like the old IE then thats what they got.  It is similar to the IE games in all those areas.  If you wanted a combat system which is very similar then you were likely disappointed because it does not seem to be that way.  Maybe there are other "not IE like" aspects to the game but I haven't played enough to comment yet.

The visual angle is actually quite different and makes it a lot harder to see. The 'atmosphere' is a pretty vague thing to be talking about too. You might need to break it down more than that. I don't think 2D backgrounds alone makes a game IE like. Even a fantasy party based game with 2d backgrounds isnt IE like. You may as well call Diablo 2 and IE clone at that point.

They made a kickstarter campaign. They promised things in that campaign. That is what I am referring to. Those things didn't get delivered upon. I'm not making up some entirely personal definition of what makes an IE like game. Its more to do with what all the old diehard IE fans think defines the IE games and seperates them from other games and what the developers themselves promised and spoke about. Just go read the original kickstarter pledge and see for yourself that they didn't deliver. Or by all means feel free to come back here and point by point explain to me how they did deliver. 

In any event don't act like I have just made up some standard on my own which I expect them to adhere to. I expected them to adhere to the promises they made during the KS campaign. That is all thanks.

After finishing this game yesterday I actually do feel the ~ 150 bucks I paid were not enough :g:

No seriously... this is a damn fine game and the first game in years that left me intellectually stimulated and satisfied as usually only good novels manage to.

I liked the game more than the BG/IWD/NWN games but a bit less than Arcanum and Planescape Torment, but definitely was worth the money. One of the only new single player games I have completed since Skyrim

Main issues were pathfinding/party AI and nobody sitting in chairs!!! Otherwise not many complaints. Combat sucked to begin with but got better the more you leveled and the better skilled the opponents you had to face. If I had given up 20 hours in I would've said the combat wasn't good

Edited by Bli1942

They made a kickstarter campaign. They promised things in that campaign. That is what I am referring to. Those things didn't get delivered upon. I'm not making up some entirely personal definition of what makes an IE like game. Its more to do with what all the old diehard IE fans think defines the IE games and seperates them from other games and what the developers themselves promised and spoke about. Just go read the original kickstarter pledge and see for yourself that they didn't deliver. Or by all means feel free to come back here and point by point explain to me how they did deliver. 

In any event don't act like I have just made up some standard on my own which I expect them to adhere to. I expected them to adhere to the promises they made during the KS campaign. That is all thanks.

Not once did I say you were alone in your opinions, but I'm not entirely sure what Promises and Pledges from obsidian you're referring to that htey did not meet.  Here are the opening two paragraphs from their kickstarter:

"Obsidian Entertainment and our legendary game designers Chris Avellone, Tim Cain, and Josh Sawyer are excited to bring you a new role-playing game for the PC. Project Eternity (working title) pays homage to the great Infinity Engine games of years past: Baldur’s Gate, Icewind Dale, and Planescape: Torment.

Project Eternity aims to recapture the magic, imagination, depth, and nostalgia of classic RPG's that we enjoyed making - and playing. At Obsidian, we have the people responsible for many of those classic games and we want to bring those games back… and that’s why we’re here - we need your help to make it a reality!"

They stated a lot that they wanted to do something that "Pays homage to" the IE games, and "recaptures the imagination and depth" etc etc, and the fact is that a lot of people think that they were successful in doing that, even if you (AND OTHERS) didnt.  For better or worse, there are a lot of things that PoE does differently to the IE games but it certainly does not mean that it wasn't successful in "paying homage" to them.  So no, you're "standards" and opinions are not your own, but they sure as hell aren't shared by everyone who backed this game either.
  • Like 4