466 members have voted

1. 1. Do you feel like you got hosed by buying this game?

• Yes I did and I'll tell you why!
    • Yes I did and I'm too scared/confused/angry to tell you why!
    • No! I feel I paid about what the game is worth!
    • No! I feel I didn't pay enough for such a fine game!

So after the Easter holidays... and then some, I'm noticing a lot of bitching and complaining about this and that so I figured I'd bump the thread... and pimp the IE mod on Nexus for adding a walk mode (don't care) and a run-in-sneak mode (do care a lot.)

Blammo!

Actually this game is awful because no fine rods anywhere. I hate this game now.

It isn't a problem because I have my own fine rod.

Pics of your fine rod please.

The lady paladin is using my exceptional rod.  I'll let her upgrade it to a superb rod, um, when she finds the eye of the dragon.

Also this topic has gone really quiet so fast.

Overall, I'm still going to call PoE the 6th IE game. But If someone were to put a Fine Arquebus to my head and force me to rank it, I'd place it near the Bottom of the 5. It's better than Icewind Dale 2. But it *doesn't* beat out Bg1, BG2, PS:T or IWD1.

I'd put it slightly below PS:T and above all the others. The combat is more fun than any of them. The story is original and compelling and heartbreaking. It fixes a lot of the mechanics that annoy me about D&D. While I wish the game were deeper, I found that it was deep enough in the area that it really needed, the story quests.

• Like 1

I suspect that the biggest bugbears would be sorted out with the expansions or sequel.  The first iteration of most series is apt to have growing pains.  In any case, the game definitely doesn't match up to the old Infinity Engine games in its current state.  There are too many bugs, there are inconsistencies for the writing and quests, stronghold isn't up to BG2 standards, ect.

Still, I am glad to have backed the game - Obsidian has always been filled with potential, and sometimes they can be brilliant.  Giving them a chance to do so is my pleasure.  No different from other developers, like Nigoro for La-Mulana 2.  I think the next couple of years will be very fun.  :)

I think the game is good but not as good as the people who praise it say it is. It feels like a solid 8 and reminiscent of Dark Souls II in that I got my money's worth, but some aspects have me disappointed.

But when I try to voice concerns and criticisms, there's no response. People are too high on their enjoyment of the game for now, so I mostly just keep my concerns to myself.

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

stronghold isn't up to BG2 standards

Just curious, but could you elaborate?  I havent played the game yet but its disappointing hearing some of the stuff about the stronghold, but as I remember in BG2 all the stronghold did was give out quests (enjoyable quests as I remember), but after just became a building where you could store items?  At least I remember my rangers hut being used largely for just RP and storage after id done the quests.

I think the game is good but not as good as the people who praise it say it is. It feels like a solid 8 and reminiscent of Dark Souls II in that I got my money's worth, but some aspects have me disappointed.

But when I try to voice concerns and criticisms, there's no response. People are too high on their enjoyment of the game for now, so I mostly just keep my concerns to myself.

Do you have less eye than I do or something? :p The whole reason I made the thread is because I saw so many nitpicky-bitch threads that it was making me doubt my own enjoyment of the game.

• Like 1

Just curious, but could you elaborate?  I havent played the game yet but its disappointing hearing some of the stuff about the stronghold, but as I remember in BG2 all the stronghold did was give out quests (enjoyable quests as I remember), but after just became a building where you could store items?  At least I remember my rangers hut being used largely for just RP and storage after id done the quests.

Well, BG 2's big pluses on that were that the strongholds were customised to your character class, which was really cool (although I think that it was probably far less useful from an objective standpoint than the TOB/KOTOR style hub you have in this game). Didn't have any of the beautiful dynamic environment etc stuff that PoE has either.

Well, BG 2's big pluses on that were that the strongholds were customised to your character class, which was really cool (although I think that it was probably far less useful from an objective standpoint than the TOB/KOTOR style hub you have in this game). Didn't have any of the beautiful dynamic environment etc stuff that PoE has either.

I guess that can be seen as an advantage.  Doing a different one for every class wouldve been alot of work though..

Actually this game is awful because no fine rods anywhere. I hate this game now.

It isn't a problem because I have my own fine rod.

Pics of your fine rod please.

The lady paladin is using my exceptional rod.  I'll let her upgrade it to a superb rod, um, when she finds the eye of the dragon.

Also this topic has gone really quiet so fast.

I finally found two guaranteed fine rod locations in act 2. I am never gonna tell where. My secrets.

Games that have bottomless inventories do not need toilets.

So if we keep it ,they should have given us the option to throw this thing  at the enemy. They have already done it in SP:TSOT so why regress now?

troll.gifseatroll.gificetroll.giftroll.gif

An ex-biophysicist but currently Studying Schwarzschild singularities' black holes' Hawking radiation using LAZORS and hypersonic sound wave models.

My main objective is to use my results to take over the world!

Usually people who like to whine or have actual constructive criticisms about the game are waaay more vocal than those who simply enjoy the game on forums. Which is why it's often sort of pointless to scan forums for actual opinion on a game and use it as an indication to if that game is worth playing, since A LOT of those opinions either come from from a point of view that's irrelevant to yours, or they are simply idiotic. ;-)

Also OP, I'd recommend you use the pause button frequently, it will make things easier and more fun for you.

Best rpg since Dragon Age Origins. What was that, like a decade ago? Feels that way.

Money well spent. I torrented the game at first. Was so good I felt obligated to buy the game. Quality deseaves respect, recogintion.

Feels like a troll post, too much voice acting? How in what world is that a negitive?

This is the worse poll ever.

The header of this thread is "is this game good ?" and the poll is "is this game bad ?" .... way to confuse people, so you can't know who vote what for sure....

Anyway, awesome game.

It doesn't confuse people with reading comprehension (which should be a prerequisite to games like this.) I'm getting sick of saying this but I'm sorry. I wrote the post first and made the poll as an afterthought.

Usually people who like to whine or have actual constructive criticisms about the game are waaay more vocal than those who simply enjoy the game on forums. Which is why it's often sort of pointless to scan forums for actual opinion on a game and use it as an indication to if that game is worth playing, since A LOT of those opinions either come from from a point of view that's irrelevant to yours, or they are simply idiotic. ;-)

Also OP, I'd recommend you use the pause button frequently, it will make things easier and more fun for you.

I do and I still die but I'll get used to it. I pounded my head through Planescape and I was bored of that game by the middle. PoE is faring MUCH better.

Best rpg since Dragon Age Origins. What was that, like a decade ago? Feels that way.

Money well spent. I torrented the game at first. Was so good I felt obligated to buy the game. Quality deseaves respect, recogintion.

Feels like a troll post, too much voice acting? How in what world is that a negitive?

Dude, I just put down what I saw. Like I said in the first post, I don't agree with all of the complaints.

Reading comprehension; do you have it?

It's good. Forums are always full of negativity - partly from malcontents and partly from people who love the game but would love it even more if x y and z were better.

But the game is fantastic, and that's not really in serious contention (as you see from your poll).

Indeed. The separation of the forum "vibe" and the poll results is wider than the Pacific ocean though... and that's funny to me. I'd hoped people would see these results and feel better about their purchase (as I did when I read this review from a guy who HATED the old IE games.)

My favorite part:

"X feature sucks."

Compared to what?

Compare Pillars of Eternity to whatever comes next not what came out 15 years ago because everything sucks compared to Baldur's Gate. Good thing is you can always go back and enjoy Baldur's Gate for the 40th time.

Reading comprehension; do you have it?

I comprehend that each and every one of your poll options is absurd. And consequently, the results are meaningless. But since you're still defending it here on page 7, lets address them all.

Lets start with the Poll question: Do you feel like you got hosed by buying this game?

Well, first off, 77,000 of us did not "buy" this game, anyway. We funded it. And then we were given a copy as a result.. Second, It's one thing to feel "hosed", and quite another feel that the game wasn't good. Hosed is what I felt after playing dragon Age 2, because very specific promises were made to us and each and every one of those promises were broken in spectacular fashion. But this is not what happened with PoE. With Poe, we got an objectively solid game - An authentic developer effort. Whether or not we still disliked the game, or whether we thought "the game was good" (ie. your thread's title) is a completely different subject.

Poll Option #1: Yes I did and I'll tell you why!

Interestingly, because this game was kickstarted, one can very logically choose this option while still acknowledging that the game was pretty good. I mean, I personally think the game was excellent. My first Playthrough gave me 75 hours of very good game time, and, I'm enjoying myself on my second playthrough. But there are people who have given Obsidian $5000+ to make this particular IE spiritual successor, and I can totally understand if one of them came here and voiced vehement buyers remorse at doing so because of the few HUGE departures from the IE games that PoE takes in many, many instances.

Poll Option #2: Yes I did and I'm too scared/confused/angry to tell you why!

Herp-derp poll option. Doesn't deserve a response. It also omits the most relevant and obvious reason why one who didn't like this game wouldn't bother to tell us why: Apathy. Because the game was so bland, and the experience so forgettable, that the whole thing isn't worth talking about, or thinking about.

Poll option #3: No! I feel I paid about what the game is worth!

This is a completely inconclusive poll option who's results say exactly nothing. One can utterly hate this game but feel that $44.99 (or $20, for the early bird backers) was exactly what the game is worth, since an average new game typically costs more than that.

Poll option #4: No! I feel I didn't pay enough for such a fine game!

Not much different from poll option #3. Video games are a bargain already. 50-100 hours of entertainment with anything else typically costs astronomically more than $45-$60. You could easily spend twice that much taking a girl you don't particularly like to dinner and not think twice about whether you were "hosed". Compared to that, a video game with 100 hours of even halfway decent content feels like a steal at $44.99...or an underpayment.

Just curious, what stopped you from just keeping the whole thing simple. like this:

Poll question: "How would you rate this game?"

1) Poor

2) Below Average

3) Average

4) Above average

5) Great

Hmm? Were you afraid of what the results might be?

Edited by Stun
  • Like 2