466 members have voted

1. 1. Do you feel like you got hosed by buying this game?

• Yes I did and I'll tell you why!
    • Yes I did and I'm too scared/confused/angry to tell you why!
    • No! I feel I paid about what the game is worth!
    • No! I feel I didn't pay enough for such a fine game!

Every time new game comes out and hundreds of thousands / millions of people buy it, you get all kinds of complaints about every imaginable thing. No one person can ever hope to even understand what many of those complaints even mean, and many complaints directly contradict each other. 

Haha, I was really shoked when I voted with "yes" and saw the huge number of "NO!!!"'s popping up... it was then that I realized the question in the poll is actually different from the one in the thread title ;) but anyways, here's why I love PoE

The world is fun to explore, with great quest and decent companions. Even though I'm feeling pretty unchallenged by it on hard, I'm quite happy with the combat system and having fun and challenge on my second playthrough Path of the Damned, too (even though I play it more like I played BG, which means to reload when a character drops).

I like that the story really focuses on two things, the curse of Waidwen and the status of the player character, which is better than a story that tries to include so many things.

What I didnt like so much was the magic system in general. It's no fun that every spell and skill ends after such short time, like confusion for example. What I really liked about BG was that you had to negate it or defend it somehow, otherwise it could pretty screw you up... in PoE I never had to worry about those things so far (on hard mode) because they all ran out eventually. Im really looking forward to some balance overhauls, which make magic for both player and enemies much more vicous.

The same thing can be said about why people like certain games. 'I like it because of the atmosphere.' (l0l). I like it because I can have sex with dogs. 'I only enjoy games where I can mass murder kids.' 'The best game is one where you can play a gay character' (nothing wrong with that but it's as dumb as saying 'I like games where I can play heterosexual characters only'.

In essence, people are varied and varied tastes.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

The same thing can be said about why people like certain games. 'I like it because of the atmosphere.' (l0l). I like it because I can have sex with dogs. 'I only enjoy games where I can mass murder kids.' 'The best game is one where you can play a gay character' (nothing wrong with that but it's as dumb as saying 'I like games where I can play heterosexual characters only'.

In essence, people are varied and varied tastes.

In which game you can have sex with dogs ??!!

Tell me I have to know!

Haha, I was really shoked when I voted with "yes" and saw the huge number of "NO!!!"'s popping up... it was then that I realized the question in the poll is actually different from the one in the thread title ;) but anyways, here's why I love PoE

The OP is a troll for doing it ,if  he hasn't done it ,there should have been only 2 votes for the "bad game" options  and not 8.

Edited by barakav

troll.gifseatroll.gificetroll.giftroll.gif

An ex-biophysicist but currently Studying Schwarzschild singularities' black holes' Hawking radiation using LAZORS and hypersonic sound wave models.

My main objective is to use my results to take over the world!

Just for the laugh which game lets you have sex with sheep? :w00t:

• Like 1

An ex-biophysicist but currently Studying Schwarzschild singularities' black holes' Hawking radiation using LAZORS and hypersonic sound wave models.

Probably the only classic RPG I never played. Now I have to play it...

Edited by barakav

There are better reasons to play it than that.

It's horribly broken but still awesome. I found playing as a technomancer/gunslinger most rewarding -- hunting for schematics and crafting all kinds of contraptions from junk, while trying to stay solvent when every bullet cost serious money was great fun.

Magic is utterly broken and the game loses all challenge extremely quickly. Throwing weapons are similarly broken. And if you make a "talky" character you can get through the whole thing without getting your hands dirty, but you'll barely gain any XP.

I really wish they'd do a spiritual successor with at least halfway sane mechanics. Eora in about 200 years, after someone invents the steam engine, printing press, and railroad would be just about perfect.

• Like 2

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

The game is great!  Not perfect, but great.  I backed it on KS, and wish I'd done that at a higher tier.

My only significant complaint is that the combat gets way easy after the first few character levels, so there isn't much sense of risk.  But that's just balance: they can address that in sequels or even future patches.  Otherwise, everything else feels a lot like the kind of game I wanted and we haven't seen since the end of the IE series.  It's got fantastic artwork that leads to wanting to explore just to see the world, good writing, good music, a brand new CRPG system, etc.  Even the combat system holds promise, if they can do something about over-levelling, and make a few other tweaks.  It's not fundamentally broken.

I'd give it overall about a 9/10.  Good far outweighs the bad.  Anyway, it's this or Yet Another Dumbed Down Elder Scrolls.  I'll take this a thousand times over.

The mechanics and bugs are because unity - well why should I care? Was there a developer that forced Unity on Obsidian? No. Did backers insisted on Unity? No. It was Obsidian's choice and if it was a bad one then it's their fault. There are plenty of game engines in Unity price range or even free.

This is probably the best engine suited to the task that they could afford on their budget.  

Would the game be better with a more expensive and/or custom built engine?  Of course.  But we don't live in a world where money and time don't exist.

Edited by Daemonjax

Yes and no. There are some things about it that are no good whatsoever and some others that are good or even fantastic. It´s not a 90´s game for me yet, but perhaps it will be expanded and improved sufficiently after the promised expansions and future patching.

Even most people who are discussing PoE on the "Bioware Social Network" have been gushing about PoE and acknowledging it as the true successor to Baldur's Gate, revoking that status from DA:O. Except for the Millenial Bioware fans who refuse to touch it because it's not a big-budget cinematic game with Uncharted-style scripted action sequences and QTEs (actual complaint by BSN user) and has no romancing (actual complaint by BSN user.)

Edited by AGX-17
  • Like 1

Memorable companions - nope. I think I wrote this sometime during my "years of trolling the forum" that Obsidian makes bland companions when they are generic to the setting and an awesome ones when they are unique. Look at NWN2 main campaign and Mask of Betrayer. PoE companions are even blander than NWN2 OC ones.

The grieving mother is one of the most intriguing companions I have ever played with , better than those in BG2 and she does reminds me a little bit of PS:T .

If you're going to pick "Yes I did and I'll tell you why!" why not TELL US WHY!

All the negativity here (and elsewhere) are seriously making me think I got hosed from this game. From what little I've been able to play (I really REALLY suck at these games due to the real-time nature of the combat,) I've been enjoying it but according to this forum (and the two chans' forums,) Obsidian screwed up on damn near every single aspect of the game. Keep in mind I don't agree with these things personally. These are just things I've seen mentioned.

The story is weak

The classes are either too balanced (from the chans) or not balanced enough (here)

The game's too easy

The game's system sucks

The characters are lame

Too much voice acting

Weak ending

Too small world

Too few quests

Choices don't matter

The music sucks

The writing sucks

The keep sucks

The "endless" dungeon sucks

Etc. Etc. Etc.

So with all this negativity, I have to ask: Do you feel like you got ripped off, hosed, or otherwise lied to by Obsidian as it pertains to the game itself?

Its a good game but its not quite in the league of BG or PST games. Its seems like devs held back on this one, but its definitely one of the better RPGs out there.

Love the game, mana from heaven after years in the desert ;)

Some minor nitpicking i indulge in doesn't change the amazement about a new game that does so many things right (a matter of taste of course, i mean right by me)

this is my favorite game ever :)

This is my favorite game on the Citadel.:)

• Like 1

Derpdragon of the Obsidian Order

Derpdragons everywhere. I like spears.

No sleep for the Watcher... because he was busy playing Pillars of Eternity instead.

I absolutely got my money's worth. Hell, even more.

I loved how you never knew which turns even the simplest sidequest will take. You can always make a choice and feel better for it. Many stories in the world really got to me, especially the one in Ondra's Gift where the mother sends you to find her son. 

I loved the world and the lore of the world. I already knew a lot before the game (thanks to the Guidebook and wiki and backer updates), but seeing it in game was something else entirely. It's been a while I felt so at home with a fantasy setting. 

I loved the conflict of faith of many companions in my party. They struggled with their beliefs, they yearned for redemption, for truth, for certainty. I love this type of inner conflict. Their endings were also rather interesting, especially if you don't do the companion quests (Hiravias' and Sagani's were in particular awesome... it just shows what kind of strong characters they are).

I loved the combat. I think now I understand the love for combat IWD and Baldur's Gate. There is so much you can try out, different parties, different positioning. Preparing before battle is really fun, scouting out, laying traps, considering who will stand where and cast which spell... 

It's fun to run into a really challenging fight, it's fun to completely cheese it and it's also fun to have your abilities countered by your enemies. 

I loved the skill checks, even when they provided only small details (hell, even especially then!).

I loved the music, it was incredibly... cozy? Comfortable? It was like putting on old sneakers and now you could run a mile in those and not even get tired. It's soothing, pretty and just right.

I loved the art of the game. I never thought isometric games to be pretty, but this one is just so full of colours and so sharp and the small details, like motes of light or butterflies flying around the scene really set the tone.

I loved the level design in the game. Especially Endless Paths of Caed Nua shined in this department. It was 15 levels long, but never felt old. Each level was unique and a pure joy to explore. 

I have only three points of criticism for the game:

1. Too little companion content (or at least it feels like it for me).

2. Main story is underwhelming (especially the ending with Thaos).

3. The stronghold mechanics were really shallow (but I'm confident the stronghold will be expanded upon in expansion and in PoE 2).

I have no doubts the next games will be even better than this one, have more content and more polish. After all, now they had to built a lot from the scratch. Next time they will be able to truly focus on content and not on the tools for it. 

Considering my doubts before release, it's been a true relief for this game to alleviate my worries so profoundly.

• Like 1

Even most people who are discussing PoE on the "Bioware Social Network" have been gushing about PoE and acknowledging it as the true successor to Baldur's Gate, revoking that status from DA:O. Except for the Millenial Bioware fans who refuse to touch it because it's not a big-budget cinematic game with Uncharted-style scripted action sequences and QTEs (actual complaint by BSN user) and has no romancing (actual complaint by BSN user.)

This new Bioware is crap, its not the same company that brought us great games like BG and KOTOR, i hope we all know the that. Most of the Bioware team, these days is made up of people from the background of console games like Gears of War and Halo. Just look at .....DA:I its simply an action game with straight forward dialogue and character abilities per level, thats not an RPG. Its an action game in medieval fantasy skin. Also the lamest thing about that game is that they simply restricted players to 8 abilities because console game pads cannot support more than 8 abilities at a time, so PC gamers must suffer having access to fewer abilities as well.

I just wish they change the company name. If my memory serves me right, none of the founders are there any more.

Nice deceptively worded poll you've got going here. Have you ever considered a career in politics?

Edit: Anyhoo, I love this game and am happy I helped back it on KS, (I gave $84 I think).

Edited by jackjack
  • Like 2

70 hours in,just hit Act 3 and love the game as well.Combat is fun,the look/art is outstanding,love the lore of world as well(Godhammer for the win!)Wish I had backed it from the beginning.Also with patches/expansions it's only going to get better, which makes me happy :)

Edited by Raventhull

"Very well permit me on this night. To break your hearts once more. This is the story of the Chain of Dogs. Of Coltaine of the Crow Clan, newly come fist to the 7th Army"- Duiker:Memories of Ice