466 members have voted

1. 1. Do you feel like you got hosed by buying this game?

• Yes I did and I'll tell you why!
    • Yes I did and I'm too scared/confused/angry to tell you why!
    • No! I feel I paid about what the game is worth!
    • No! I feel I didn't pay enough for such a fine game!

If you're going to pick "Yes I did and I'll tell you why!" why not TELL US WHY!

All the negativity here (and elsewhere) are seriously making me think I got hosed from this game. From what little I've been able to play (I really REALLY suck at these games due to the real-time nature of the combat,) I've been enjoying it but according to this forum (and the two chans' forums,) Obsidian screwed up on damn near every single aspect of the game. Keep in mind I don't agree with these things personally. These are just things I've seen mentioned.

The story is weak

The classes are either too balanced (from the chans) or not balanced enough (here)

The game's too easy

The game's system sucks

The characters are lame

Too much voice acting

Weak ending

Too small world

Too few quests

Choices don't matter

The music sucks

The writing sucks

The keep sucks

The "endless" dungeon sucks

Etc. Etc. Etc.

So with all this negativity, I have to ask: Do you feel like you got ripped off, hosed, or otherwise lied to by Obsidian as it pertains to the game itself?

Edited by rkade8583

Why don't you just carry on playing and find out for yourself instead of initiating poitnless polls.  Like asking me is a certain car any good...or film...utter pointless answers.

secondly...chan forums?  lol...seriously?

• Like 2

If I had known how this would turn out, I would've backed at the silver tier, easily. Maybe even gold.

I only backed at the level I did because I wasn't all that keen on what appeared to be another Western traditional fantasy game, and I had a preference for turn-based over RTwP. At the time I wasn't even a huge IE games fan. I was a huge Planescape: Torment fan but I loved that for the story, not for the mechanics; I had thought IWD was OK, BG1 was dull as dishwater, and BG2 about as much fun as being repeatedly punched in the kidneys. 

Over the course of these two years I've discovered the joy of IWD and BG2 at least, which counts as another huge side benefit. So yeah, I've gotten way more than my money's worth, and I will make up for my mistake with Obsidian's next Kickstarter, should they choose to do one.

• Like 12

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

I am playing. I just thought it'd be interesting to see some positivity for a change instead of that ever-expanding list of complaints. I mean look at all that (and I didn't even make a tree list to go over every single contradictory nitpick I've seen.) It's absurd!

• Like 2

Why does the topic ask if the game is good, yet the poll question asks  if we got hosed?

The game is great, one of the best real RPG's to come out in the last 10 years.  It needs some polish, but if you really are a fan of RPG's this is about the best you can find since maybe skyrim.  But this is more or an RPG than even Skyrim.

• Like 2

I paid about 175€, so I chose the "No! I feel I paid about what the game is worth!". In other words, I really don't know what this kind of question is trying to accomplish.

Edited by Graham

While I agree there are some aspects I think could have been done better, like more variety in quests as regarding to tone (a lot of the quests and stuff are on the somber/darker side, which is great as well, but I would love some silly/amusing quests and the like). More spell variety, more companions interactions.....

I still do very much love the game, its very engaging and challenging and I am very happy with it

I don't understand any negativity. Maybe the real fault is that people want to compare this game to BG2.... Which is not exactly fair. 

Pillars stands on its own. I think most people complaining are people who cannot adjust to the new system. Some people are stubborn and don't want to learn new things. A lot of people just wanted this system to be a D&D clone. That it is not....

All of those negatives you listed I have heard as well. I think they are nuts. I am a proud backer and I find it to be a very solid game that is well worth my money and time.

I don't understand any negativity. Maybe the real fault is that people want to compare this game to BG2.... Which is not exactly fair. 

Pillars stands on its own. I think most people complaining are people who cannot adjust to the new system. Some people are stubborn and don't want to learn new things. A lot of people just wanted this system to be a D&D clone. That it is not....

All of those negatives you listed I have heard as well. I think they are nuts. I am a proud backer and I find it to be a very solid game that is well worth my money and time.

Agreed, I think a lot of the butthurt comes from people trying to hard to compare the system to D&D and BG2 (which, as good as the game is, I still think BG2 is a lot better).

While the inspiration for this system is very obvious, its not supposed to be a "better D&D system" or anything like it. Like people complaining about buff wizards cus of high might. MIGHT=\=STR!

• Like 1

Why does the topic ask if the game is good, yet the poll question asks  if we got hosed?

The game is great, one of the best real RPG's to come out in the last 10 years.  It needs some polish, but if you really are a fan of RPG's this is about the best you can find since maybe skyrim.  But this is more or an RPG than even Skyrim.

I put the poll in after I wrote the topic. I'll edit the title (if I can.)

edit: Damn. I can't.

I paid about 175€, so I chose the "No! I feel I paid about what the game is worth!". In other words, I really don't know what this kind of question is trying to accomplish.

See, I thought my phrasing was clever. I took kickstarters and people who got deals into consideration. It's a catch-all for "I got out what I put in."

Edited by rkade8583

So far I've really enjoyed it, notwithstanding Obsidian's rulings on censorship (and whilst that does annoy me, it's still by the by in terms of the game's obvious strong points). It has good combat (IMO), reasonable character development, culture and the rest. Not all classes and races are created equal, but they give a strong enough showing that I would never consider any class or race not worth a try. I like how there's no unequivocal dump stat - there's always going to be one attribute of use to a certain class - but it might be nicer if some of the attributes had been more explicit (i.e. the description of Might didn't convince me it would do extra ranged damage from the description - it is a bit too lose and confusing for people who are unfamiliar with this new IP).

Edited by Jojobobo

I have great affection for this game to the point that I predict that I will make a frowny face after I finish my first playthrough and realize that it's over.

...I grossly overpaid for this game, but I would do it again.

Edited by Leferd

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

The people who complain are those who compare this to Baldur's Gate 2 and expected it to be just like that game, as far as I can see. There are many "problems" with the game that can actually be translated to "something is different".

If you weren't a hardcore fan of BG2 when it came out, you'll likely enjoy this game very much. It's certainly worth its price.

And if you'll allow me to address some of your points:

- The story is better than that of BG2

- The classes are diverse and interesting and comparatively balanced which is a good thing

- The characters are more realistic than the ones from BG2 and I like them very much

- The writing is very good

- The system is fun and rewarding

All in all, the reception of the game was very positive. Even the people who complain about the game mostly do say that they overall enjoyed the experience. 

• Like 3

Surely youve also noticed the reviews and people who have said the exact opposite of the negative comments?

Well yeah. Even the masses (who I trust more of late than reviewers on more well-known sites) love this game which makes the constant harangue of negativity on the forum all the more mystifying to me; especially given how the complaints are contrary to how most people are finding the game (myself included.)

There is no need to make a poll to justify your feelings about the game. If you really want to know what the consensus thinks about the game, that's what Metacritic is for. And yes, this is one of the best RPG's I've played in years.

All I'm going to say about that is that I respectfully disagree that metacritic is the end-all.

Besides, I think it yields more results to ask communities who might not normally use the "established way of doing things" like metacritic.

• Like 2

There is no need to make a poll to justify your feelings about the game. If you really want to know what the consensus thinks about the game, that's what Metacritic is for. And yes, this is one of the best RPG's I've played in years.

Metacritic is terrible and often hopelessly skewed.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

Surely youve also noticed the reviews and people who have said the exact opposite of the negative comments?

Well yeah. Even the masses (who I trust more of late than reviewers on more well-known sites) love this game which makes the constant harangue of negativity on the forum all the more mystifying to me; especially given how the complaints are contrary to how most people are finding the game (myself included.)

Yeah its a bit odd.. Though I have noticed it in most game releases to be honest

Game is mediocre at best. It's not even a half what was actually promised and the excuses for such state are borderline insulting.

Would you care to elaborate? Those're some heavy concepts you're toting around and I'd hate for it to all just be hyperbole. Vent, my friend! Spill your guts! Tell Obsidian on their own forum how they hosed you!

Cause, seriously, I'm curious. Mediocre is a word I've heard bandied about on the chans but "not even half" and "excuses... are borderline insulting" has my interest piqued.

Edited by rkade8583

Game is mediocre at best. It's not even a half what was actually promised and the excuses for such state are borderline insulting.

Well since you've been both bashing the game and trolling Obsidian on these boards for years before release, this is a shocking statement.

• Like 8